• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Welcome to the world, Micah! Also posted in 3rd tri as update.

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
Welcome to the world: Micah Charlie Joseph Sloan :cloud9:

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Melon1687/IMAG1385.jpg

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Melon1687/DSC00328.jpg

I'll post a proper birth story at some point but basically:

My waters broke naturally at noon on 5th October (41+2), but as there was some meconium staining I was induced first with a gel at around 4pm and then with a drip at 11pm.

First stage was 12hrs, quite slow progress. As my contractions got painful I had some pethedine to help me sleep but it did sod all! Micah needed continuous monitoring and the midwives discouraged me from leaving the bed and being active.

I kept being told the ball wouldn't help and the artificial hormones would do the work for me :growlmad: so I was stuck on my back in pain. I was also told gas and air would do nothing compared to the pethedine and that I should have an epidural...

I almost caved after lots of being told that "epidurals have their place, and this is it" over and over. :growlmad: I was still only 4cm just before 8am :cry: and felt like I had no choices. I felt like they thought I was 'a bit of a hippy' because I'd wanted to labour in water and didn't really want an epidural. They commented that they were "surprised I didn't want a home birth, as I was so 'natural' about everything".

But then at 8am I got a new midwife who was WONDERFUL! :flower:

She immediately agreed that I try gas and air and it worked wonders. I felt back in control of my labour and she encouraged me to get up and sit on my ball. She believed I could do it and kept telling me so. She supported me, (as did my mum and Dave) and held the monitors on silently when they slipped, and by 10am I was 8cm. Not long after I wanted to push!

Nobody quite believed I was ready so I did some panting and low moaning but at 11am I couldn't resist the urge anymore. My 2nd stage was only 35mins! I stunned everyone when I said I could feel his head and was told it was probably my leg :dohh: but I insisted she check and he was right there, a head full of dark hair crowning for all to see!!

He cried straight away and Dave cut the cord as we had skin to skin. Micah fed for an hour and a half straight away.

I have 3 stitches but only a labial tear, no perineum damage and I'm not really sore. I really think the RLT and EPO helped prepare me for labour and I believe if I'd been allowed to follow my instincts earlier then Micah would have arrived much quicker!

So.. I'd advise you all to follow your instincts ladies and stand up for when you want your labour to be (very difficult to do but I wish I'd been more forceful now!).

Thanks so much to all of you who were following our story and congratulated us! :happydance:

He is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats hun, what a fantastic birth story :) xx

Also, LOVE the name Micah, just gorgeous, well done you!

Lovely photos and story! Congratulations! :D x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"