Welcoming Dana Adalita xx

Foxycleopatra

Mum to 3 Girls
Reaction score
Dana Adalita's entrance to the world...
5:19am my alarm goes off and suddenly I am wide awake and the realization hits me, today is D-Day, today I finally get to meet my princess that I have been baking for the last 38+6 weeks!!
So I get up, wake Chris up and Rush around getting everything ready to head to the hospital. As we live a 2 hour drive from our delivering hospital we had organised to stay at the Ronald McDonald house Tamworth on the hospital grounds. By 545am we are ready to head down to the maternity ward for our 6am check-in.
Once we arrive we are put in to our thankfully private room. I am given a gown and some antiseptic body wash and told to go shower and dress. By 7am the midwife comes in to do all the boring admin paperwork followed by checking on baby and inserting a catheter in preparation for theatre.
730am my anesthetist checks in to tell me what will come next and to tell me I will be taken up to theatre around 8am.
True to her word 8 am comes and the orderlies are here to wheel me up to theatre. Once there I have my compression stocking put on, a canula inserted and wristbands attached.
Not long after my OB come in to pre-op to check in on me.
820am I am wheeled in to the operating theatre and I am sat up on the bed so my anesthetist can do my spinal block. The spinal is the most surreal feeling and your lower body starts to warm up, feel heavy then goes numb. I am quickly laid flat on the bed while the theatre staff run around putting up the blue curtain, cover me in warm blankets and put an oxygen mask on my face. It was at this point I came across really queasy and ended up vomitting!
Chris was quickly brought in to the room in his sexy scrubs with camera in hand.
845am I can feel pulling and tugging on my belly but can't feel any pain at all. Then at 853am I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. My beautiful Dana was born screaming. My OB then lowered the curtain and showed me my beautiful girl. It amazes me how I can have such instant love for my gooey, squishy babies from the second they are born without loving my other girls any less, it's like a new part of my heart opens each time with an endless supply of love and protection.
Dana is quickly brought straight to me for skin to skin time. She is just perfect. After a few minutes she is taken away to have her observations done and to be weighed. At this stage all seems well.
In what felt like only minutes my tubes have been tied and I am all stitched up ready to head to recovery.
I had another quick cuddle with Dana before Chris and the midwife took her to do her needles. I am assured once they are done she will be brought to me in recovery.
I am wheeled in to recovery where they do my obs and check my fundal height every 5min. Then every 15min they do the ice cube test where they run an ice cube up my side to see how far up the spinal has taken and the wait for it to get down to below my nipple line before I am allowed back on the ward.
I am there for about 10mins when Dana is brought back to me for more cuddles and her first feed. While I am nursing her I notice her breathing seems a little erratic and fast. The midwife checks her over and says that that is not uncommon for caesarean babies as they sometimes have gunk left in their lungs from in utero as it doesn't get squeezed out in through the pelvis like a vaginal delivery. At this stage she said not to worry but she would keep watch on it. Dana finally has her first feed.
11am comes and I finally pass the ice cube test and Dana and I make out way back to our room on the maternity ward. Now that we are back it is time do do more obs on both Dana and myself. All of mine are fine but Dana's breathing is still too fast so the midwife takes her down to the NICU to do a more thorough check-up. 20 mins later she comes back with out my baby! I am told that Dana looks like she has TTN (transient tachypena of newborn) which basically means that she has gunky lungs. I am told that she will need to stay in the NICU for at least a few hours on oxygen. I am heartbroken.
The pediatric doctor comes and talks to Chris and I and explains TTN a little better. She tells us that Dana is now wearing a cpap mask to help her breath, has to have IV antibiotics for a few days, blood test and needs a chest X-ray to rule out pneumonia! We are then told if her symptoms don't improve in 24 hours she will be air lifted to Westmead Children's Hospital!
Cue panic! I am stuck in a hospital bed still half numb and unable to get up to go see her. I send hubby to the NICU to sit with her for a while and take some pictures for me.
I then call my mother and tell her not to bring my girls in today to meet there sister and to wait till tomorrow.
4 hours later we get the good news that the X-ray showed no pneumonia but did show TTN and that even at 38+6 weeks her lungs where still a little immature so she is now given steroid injections to help boost her lungs. We also find out that her symptoms are already improving and that she was taken off the cpap machine and now has nasal prong air supply like I do.
I ask if I can go see her. And thanks to my wonderful midwife I am wheeled down in my bed at 630pm and get to hold my beautiful Dana skin to skin (while we are both hooked up to numerous machines) for almost 2 hours. I could of held her all night if they let me.
I then had to leave Dana in the NICU and return to my room. I know she is in the best place possible but it still breaks my heart that after 9 months of growing and protecting her in my womb she is spending her first night on the outside in the NICU with strangers.
The doctors are still waiting for blood test results but I am told she will be staying in the NICU till at least Friday on her IV antibiotic and oxygen.
This is not how I planned things to go today and hopefully we will be able to take our little girl home soon. I am still so blessed to have 3 beautiful girls xx

Vital details
Name: Dana Adalita
Weight: 3.21kg or 7lb 1oz
Length: 48cm or 19in
Head: 34cm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
Congratulations. Hopefully not long until Dana is home. My youngest spent his first week of life in special care. It's horrible being without them.

Congratulations! Hoping you are both healthy and at home now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->