Well 20 week scan was all a little dramatic

sophie22

Reaction score
this is my 3rd child and I have two boys who are 4 and 2. I am having a little girl. but unfortunately she has a problem she has spina bifida. I'm 22 weeks now and had to go for a bigger scan in leeds. she has some fluid on the brain caused by the spine and the lesion is big going from L 1 to L 5. apart from that everything else looks good. she will have to have an op at 2 days old to sort the spine and possible a shunt depending on how bad the fluid may get. if it stays mild like it is she may not need it and it may drain naturally. it's all a bit scary but I'm not letting it take away from my joy of getting my baby girl. fingers crossed things will turn out ok and there will be less damage than there could possibly be to her back. x

I haven't posted on here for a long time, but just happened to pop in and read your post. My Nephew was born with spina bifida, unfortunately it was a more severe form, however, he has led a full and happy life, although now in a wheelchair he is active in wheelchair basketball and now wheelchair cricket.

Please see link below to the SHINE charity formally ASBAH - lots of info and support for those dealing with spina bifida and their carers.

https://www.shinecharity.org.uk/aboutus

congratulations on your little girl xx

Congratulations on your third baby... So glad you're getting the little girl you wanted. Fingers crossed and prayers sent that she only has a mild case! :flower:

Aw, congrats on a baby girl after 2 boys!!! So exciting! I pray for the best for you and your daughter!

Aww sorry to hear! Congratulations on baby and i hope all will be ok. X :hugs:

HI and thank you. thanks for the link, it is good to hear some good stories on spina bifida. out case sounds bad too as the gap is really big. normally it is maybe 2 spaces this is 5 so I'm really hoping she will have movement from the waist down. but if not like you say there is so much now you can do in a wheel chair she will be fine. she is certainly very active in me so I'm hoping that's a good sign x

:hugs: congrats on your little girl. Sending positivity your way xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->