We're having a natural birth- now I need advice!

myk's mummy

Pregnant- 2nd Trimester
Reaction score
Yay! OH and I have agreed on a natural birth for LO :)

We had a discussion a while back about how I didn't want to receive chemical pain relief for this birth (I was induced with our DD and ended up having to have an epidural). Hubby was not keen on the idea of a natural birth at all and I actually posted here looking for advice at one stage.

Well, I ordered copies of 'The Business of Being Born' (a US dvd) and 'The Big Stretch' (an Australian dvd) and we watched them together the other night. I didn't think DH would be all that interested to tell you the truth, but he got so much out of watching the babies being birthed naturally and listening to the real life accounts of other mums and dads! At one point in The Business of Being Born when Ricki Lake delivers her bub in her bath at home DH said 'Oh my god, look how relaxed they are- that's what we want isn't it!?' And I said 'YES!' He was utterly amazed and I think what I previously mistook for ignorance was actually just a lack of knowledge.

I'm so happy that we're on the same level now, and although we're keeping open minds (you never know what's going to happen) we're both so very excited about birthing this baby together the way nature intended!

What I'm after now is ANY advice you all can give about natural and active birth. What worked for you? What didn't work? Has anyone birthed a larger baby naturally (our DD was 9lb 5oz) and what was your experience like? Also, what positions did you find best to prevent tearing?

Any tips and advice are greatly appreciated!!!!

hello
i had my daughter at home no pain relief or anything it can be done im doing it again this time !! unless of course they say i need to go to hospital but even then im not going for pain relief. best advice i could ever give you is keep moving !! pace the room walk about anything but keep moving it really really helps !! the pain actualy feels so much better when you move and gravity helps bubs you can do it !!!

Yay, glad you are getting the birth you want. I'll have to check out The Big Stretch, I've never heard of that one.

I had 2 big babies. My son was 9 lbs 9oz and I tore just a little (2 stitches, and that included the episiotomy the dr did to "prevent" tearing) and my daughter was 8 lbs 13.5 oz and no tearing whatsoever. I don't think I would have torn with my son if I had been in a better position (I was flat on my back.)

I think what I previously mistook for ignorance was actually just a lack of knowledge.

Had to laugh out loud...that's the definition of ignorance. xx

thanks for listing the "The Business of Being Born" just got it tonight and now watching it :)

Being upright and active really helped me in my first labour. The environment is also very important I think. I got to 7cms simply by labouring in my babies nursery, and being able to envision her being in her little bassinette soon really kept me going. This time I am hoping to have a homebirth and want to get as far as I can with a tens machine, then I am going to hop in my birthpool and am hoping that will provide relief and I can birth my baby in there. I had 2nd degree tearing last time, I gave birth on my back in a bed and I have read that waterbirths can decrease the chance on tearing.

Just have faith in yourself and be as positive as you can in the lead-up to the birth. It has a huge amount to do with attitude and expectations - so start visualising a really positive natural birth and you'll be halfway there. Consider trying natal hypnotherapy or hypnobirthing - either attending classes, or listening to the CDs - I found these really helpful. As for tearing, part of it will be luck and how you are built physically, but perineal massage can really help. I gave birth standing up, which turned out to be brilliant. I'd really wanted a water birth, but it all happened so quickly (he was born within an hour of arriving at hospital, and after only 4.5 hours of labour in total) that there wasn't really time.

Good luck! I hope it all works out brilliantly for you!

I was in easy labour for a long time with my first. Ddn't need any pain relief, but eventually they decided to break my waters and (this was a long time ago BTW) they gave me a shot of pethodine first. However, as soon as the water went, she was born within about 5 minutes, so the pethodine never kicked in. It was no problem at all. I had gas and air, but my muscles went absolutely rigid, and I was sick from the pethodine afterwards as well. They gave me an episiotomy, as they said she was coming too quickly, and I would tear if they didn't. That has been a big problem ever since!!

For my 2nd and 3rd, I had no drugs at all, and to be honest, I had no problems at all either. With the breathing the pain was quite bearable - just very uncomfortable really! I tore with both of them, but the tears healed up far better than the episiotomy, which is still uncomfortable now sometimes!

I think I was lucky in giving birth easily 3 times, but I do believe it's a case of mind over matter. If you start out with the idea that breathing and position are going to help you deal with anything, and it's not going to be that bad, then you should be fine. I really enjoyed my labours, particularly the last one, and want to remember every minute of them, not forget them, as so many people seem to want to!

So go for it, and the best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->