We're starting a Routine at 6 weeks

MrsE

Reaction score
Yet another bad night, we went to bed at 11.00pm gave Thomas a bottle but he would only take 3oz and fell asleep so I was woken at 2.00am fed him at 2.20am but he only took 2oz and fell asleep.
Then he woke again at 4.15 so I fed him at 4.30am and he only took 2.5oz. Then he woke at 5.30am but I managed to keep him occupied and fed him at 6.00am but again he only took 3oz. Then he's wide awake ready to go downstairs (little monkey lol).

No matter what I do he will not wake up after the feeds in the night. I change him, wind him, tickle him...nothing.

Usually during the day he takes 4/5oz every 3/4 hrs.

I'm absolutely knackered and full of a cold.

So as of tomorrow we're going to try a routine, as a rough idea: -

Daytime
Feed 4oz 7.00am
Feed 4oz 10.00am
Feed 4oz 1.00pm
Feed 4oz 4.00pm
Bath 6.00pm
Feed 4oz 7.00pm
Feed 4oz 10.00pm

Night Time
Feed 4oz 1.00am
Feed 4oz 4.00am

In between I'm going to try cuddles and play time on his tummy on his little gym mat to try and stimulate him more.

He'll still wake up a couple of times during the night but I'm hoping that with the daytime activity he'll sleep better in the evening and gradually take more food and each feed will be slightly further apart and eventually start to drop a feed or two in the night.
I always make up a 5oz feed anyway just in case he wants that.

Don't get me wrong if he's tired I'll let him sleep but it seems at the minute that he falls asleep and within 10-30mins he's awake again and I can't get anything done around the house.

So we'll see what happens over the next few weeks but I'll let you know if it has any effect.

Cx

Thanks, think I'll need it lol.

Cx

we did the same with rhys from an early age. good luck!

all i can suggest, even if u feel its not working, stick to it! if he realises he can break u he'll keep doin it lol! so stick 2 ur guns n u shud b fine :hugs:

4oz is alot to expect for a 6wk old baby
  • An 8-pound newborn drinks about 2 ounces at a time, roughly 10 times a day.
    A 14-pound 4-month-old drinks 4 to 5 ounces at a time about six to eight times a day.
  • A 16-pound 6-month-old drinks 5 to 6 ounces at a time, roughly five times a day, in addition to eating some baby food.
In the day with maddie i fed her every 2-3 hrs as much as she would take roughly about 1oz-2oz
At around 6wks she was feeding 3oz every 3hrs, 4oz IF very hungry after being left over 4hrs, this was VERY rare though and she didn't hit reg 4oz feeds (draining the bottle) till around 8-9wks my MW said this was normal, longest i left her between feeds was 4hrs i fed at reg 3hr intervals and then from 6pm tried every 2 hrs to top her up.

Eleanor is the same and in the evening from 6 onward we try her every hr/hr and a half to feed her some to keep her topped up, this helps her sleep longer at night.

So far i have had 1 bad night, she is having a feed at 12 and not waking till 3 then again at 5.30/6am

Little and often is the key, bear with it hun it does get easier but some babies differ .... maddie and ellie were both "awake night babies" in the womb, so they would sleep all day and want to play at night lol!!

Routines are great and try to stick to it, but don't dispair if it doesn't work straight away ...

xxx

Thursday 26th July 2007

7.15am 4oz
9.45am 3oz
11.00am Baby Clinic
12.15pm 3oz
12.30pm Poo (lol)
2.15pm 4oz
3.00pm play on activity mat
4.30pm 2.5oz
6.30pm Bath time
6.45pm 3.5oz
9.45pm 3oz
10.00 Bed time
1.30am 3.5oz
5.15am 3oz

The idea of feeding him every 3 hrs didn't work, he gets hungry a lot at 2 or 2.5hrs so I just fed on demand and let him take as much as he wanted and when he finished I winded him and he had a little nap between feeds 30-90 mins.

I had him weighed at the Baby Clinic and he's now 11lb 5oz, 2 weeks ago he was 10lb 8oz :happydance:

So far so good...

Looks good sweetie xx

4oz is alot to expect for a 6wk old baby
  • An 8-pound newborn drinks about 2 ounces at a time, roughly 10 times a day.
    A 14-pound 4-month-old drinks 4 to 5 ounces at a time about six to eight times a day.
  • A 16-pound 6-month-old drinks 5 to 6 ounces at a time, roughly five times a day, in addition to eating some baby food.
In the day with maddie i fed her every 2-3 hrs as much as she would take roughly about 1oz-2oz
At around 6wks she was feeding 3oz every 3hrs, 4oz IF very hungry after being left over 4hrs, this was VERY rare though and she didn't hit reg 4oz feeds (draining the bottle) till around 8-9wks my MW said this was normal, longest i left her between feeds was 4hrs i fed at reg 3hr intervals and then from 6pm tried every 2 hrs to top her up.

Eleanor is the same and in the evening from 6 onward we try her every hr/hr and a half to feed her some to keep her topped up, this helps her sleep longer at night.

So far i have had 1 bad night, she is having a feed at 12 and not waking till 3 then again at 5.30/6am

Little and often is the key, bear with it hun it does get easier but some babies differ .... maddie and ellie were both "awake night babies" in the womb, so they would sleep all day and want to play at night lol!!

Routines are great and try to stick to it, but don't dispair if it doesn't work straight away ...

xxx

Jade & Alfie both started on about 2-3oz's a feed in no time......Alfie is nearly 6 months and on 7ozs now. But they both fed more and lasted longer between feeds.....so not unusual for baby to have more than what you suggested, my sister's LO was never without a bottle in his mouth as a baby, he was terrible, but her little girl barely has a bottle. It is all down to the baby, those suggestions are only guidlines.....which is a good thing, otherwise poor Alfie is doomed :lol: I feed on demand as nothing else worked, the same as Mrs E. But Alfie has been known to go 6hrs without food!

Good luck with your routine Mrs E! :hugs:x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"