We've started the Jay Gordon approach!

EcoMama

Reaction score
I kind of thought about doing what he has suggested before I even knew about his method, so I did a bit of reading up last night and thought I'd give it a try!

My dd is 14 months old and still very much feeds on demand, and although she is in our bed, the 2 hourly nighttime wakes/feeds are taking their toll!

I fed her to sleep at 10pm as normal, and from that point onwards I didn't offer boob at all. I thought she was going to be a nightmare, but it wasn't as bad as I thought!

She woke at 12, 2 & 4.... She cried a bit but I rubbed, hugged, stroked her, and after less than 5 mins each time she was fast asleep again :)

I then gave her a nice full feed at half 6 and she slept till half 7 :)

I hope tonight is as successful!

Weirdly though, I feel more tired today than when I'm half asleep feeding for halfhr each time! Technically I got more sleep last night :wacko:

So last night went great :)

We went to bed at half 10, fed to sleep. She then woke at 12. I cuddled/stroked and within a few minutes she was asleep and slept until 6:15am! When I gave her a nice long feed in bed :)

I am so surprised at how well it it going, I'm still convinced that she's going to get really cross and have none of it, which is what she's like if I don't feed her to sleep at the beginning of the night.

I know now one's interested :haha:.... But it's handy for me to keep track to see how we've done! :coffee:

Last night was the hardest, (but still wasn't that hrd!) I fed to sleep as normal at 10ish, she woke at 12pm, and wasn't happy about not being fed! I tried stroking/soothing etc bbut she just kept kicking me away and flailing her arms, getting cross! After 10 or so mins of this I decided to turn away from her and straight away she quietened down and fell asleep! She then woke at ten to 6am, so I fed her.... not supposed to until after 6 but was happy that she'd slept for so long :)

My boobs hurt more this morning than the other nights, I guess they're getting used to not being used at night? :wacko:

I've never heard of this method before, but it sounds like it is going great!!!!!! She will be sleeping through the night in no time if it continues to go this well. : )

Yeah, seems to be going well :) Thanks!

The most important thing about the method is that the child is a toddler, and that they bed share. As the transition from being fed to sleep to cuddled to sleep should be easier due to them already having your presence there.

I was a bit sceptical at 1st, but it does seem to be working :)

It sounds very logical! I actually googled it after I saw your post. : )

I think it is really interesting (and a positive note on his part!) that he stresses NOT to force a sleep schedule before a year old. We have a 4 year old and a 7 week old--with both boys, we just really tried to be in a routine from day 1, and it turned into a positive thing for sleep. (Thankfully God blessed me with two really great sleepers, because I don't think I could have handled being up all night!)

It sounds like you're doing a great job with this method--I hope it continues to work well for you!

I think that was the problem I have. I never had a real set routine for either dc, so both were/are rubbish sleepers. My 5 yr old is great now, he was never too bad at night but he always needed some sort of comfort to sleep, resulting in him sleeping with us until he was 3 & a half. Don't get me wrong, I loved having him in our bed, and he still comes in to us most nights. But I was so thankful when he started falling asleep on his own, I finally got my evenings back!.... We now do stories before bed and then I leave him to fall asleep on his own and he is happy :)

I have eneded up doing the same with my dd :wacko:..... But although her sleeping in my bed isn't an issue I am hoping that by getting her sleeping through the night, it will help with her falling asleep of an evening! We'll see!

Last night was good! We went to be at half 10, she had a feed to sleep and then she didn't wake until ten past 5! I managed to cuddle her back to sleep for another 40 minutes, which took a bit of doing! I fed her at near 6am then slept for another hour :).... I would say that's a full night's sleep!

Absolutely! That is a great night! I'm impressed you've done that so quickly with this method.

I bet you'll have a much easier go of things this time around since she is very young when you're starting this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->