What a Drag! [Funny story about my symptoms]

amaryllis

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll set the scene. My little sister and I dropped the money for some tickets to see Bianca Del Rio, winner of Ru Paul's drag race in the most recent season. We *love* drag shows, and BDR is one of the best. I bought the tickets before I knew I was pregnant. But I was bound and determined not to miss out on this experience!

It took me longer than usual to get ready. I am very exacting in my make-up, I'm one of those a**holes with loads of make-up who watches tutorials from professional make-up artists on Youtube. I was terrified I'd "get read" (be made fun of) by drag queens at the club, so I agonised over it all. All the time my sister and I were sniping with each other - she hates being late and she's menstrual, I hate looking like sh** and being clocked (noticed) for it.

It was all hormone-driven paranoia on my part.

We got to the club in time, and ended up waiting two hours before the act started!! LOL

Finally it's time for the show, and everyone bunches up at the front of the stage. I had to go sit down for five minutes because I was feeling really gross and tired, so I lost my close spot. This guy was in my space next to my sister, and I couldn't wedge back in (Sis kept trying to pull me in there, bless her). At one point when we were waiting at the front, I notice a smell hit me. It was hamburgers and poop. I turn to my sister and I say, "Oh GOD, the dude in front of us farted!"

My sister laughs and says, "How can you be sure?"

I point down in front of my stomach. His butt is RIGHT there!

"Dude," I say, "His ASS is right under my f'n NOSE!"

My sister laughs until the smell hits her. I have smelt so much of it by this time that my gag reflex has caught up with me. My brain ponders on what I'm smelling and then I start feeling REALLY ill.

"I'm gonna puke on this guy," I say to Sis, going green about the gills.

"NO! DON'T!"

"I'm trying NOT to!"

"You'll puke on ME!"

"He steals my spot and now I'm going to puke on him..."

"NO!"

.... "Okay I think I'm all right now."

Hamburger-chomping SpotStealerson in front of me is lucky I am early enough in the pregnancy that I can keep sh*t down.

So, a whole two hours standing in heels, no food, two lemon-lime-and-bitters (non-alcoholic of course) later and a bunch of make-up on my face (which makes me feel gross at the best of times) I am feeling like death.

Mainly because the lights and the "doof-doof" music triggers a migraine! Yay! Also because it's 11-12 at night and I'm exhausted! I was exhausted at 9!

Sis is a mum of a young toddler, I am a mum-to-be. We used to go clubbing all the time in our 20s. All we wanted to do was go home, snuggle down and watch TV shows on our computers.

"We are so old," I said.

"Yeah but I'm much happier than I used to be," replies my sister.

It was a great night, but I was glad to get home where I can get ahead of my symptoms with crackers, ginger beer and rest!

Why would being 4 weeks pregnant require you being "determined" to go to something you booked before you were pregnant? There are absolutely no changes to your body so far, it's the exact same as going 4 weeks ago. To be honest it sounds like you're really exaggerating your "symptoms", the egg has just about implanted at this stage like, it isn't and shouldn't be affecting your life in any way, other than a bit of tiredness.

I don't like the idea and suggestion that just because someone is pregnant they should stay at home in their pyjamas and go to bed early. I was out til 3am last night at a party, and I wasn't whinging about symptoms (despite being quite sick this week), you should really just get on with your life as normal and not obsess so much already.

Hmmm I think that's a bit unfair! I've felt awful that early on, tired and emotional and crampy and nauseous. I know once that stick gets 2 lines on it there no point trying to do anything past ten! It was a funny story and probably more about how old they're getting and can't party like they used to!
Good on you though staying out til 3am. I promise you I would if I could ;)

I think that's a wee bit harsh too.

I knew the second I fell pregnant. I was almost instantly nauseous and in a coma by about 7pm. It was the only reason I knew I was a pregnant as my periods are stupidly irregular from PCOS.

Good on you for staying out that late. I know I clock watch from dinner time till I put my two DDs in bed. I think in the last 12 weeks, 10pm has been my record.

And I'm only 23! Hardcore right?!

WAY overly harsh there Lithodora. She wasn't suggesting that pregnant women need to stay at home. Every pregnant woman is different and some feel symptoms much earlier and differently than others. I'm only a few days ahead of you at 8 weeks, and I can't bring myself to stay awake past a certain time or be at a party around people who have been drinking, but kudos to you for being able to do so.

The thing I have always loved about this site is that the majority of women on here are nonjudgmental and uplifting towards each other. Makes physically taxing and emotional times like TTC and being pregnant so much easier.

Amaryllis your story had me giggling! My best friend is as well, and we were laughing at how old we seem now compared to our bar hopping days.

I spent the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy absolutely exhausted. More tired than I've ever been in my life (including when my LO was a newborn). I'd get into bed the minute I got home from work and stay there. It started the day before my missed period so I'd have been 4 weeks pregnant. I think you did well to stay out that late! We all have completely different pregnancies with different symptoms so I think slating someone for talking about theirs is completely out of order. This is supposed to be a support forum!

Why would being 4 weeks pregnant require you being "determined" to go to something you booked before you were pregnant? There are absolutely no changes to your body so far, it's the exact same as going 4 weeks ago. To be honest it sounds like you're really exaggerating your "symptoms", the egg has just about implanted at this stage like, it isn't and shouldn't be affecting your life in any way, other than a bit of tiredness.

I don't like the idea and suggestion that just because someone is pregnant they should stay at home in their pyjamas and go to bed early. I was out til 3am last night at a party, and I wasn't whinging about symptoms (despite being quite sick this week), you should really just get on with your life as normal and not obsess so much already.

Whoosh...the sound of the funny story in the first post going right over your head...

Very well written and funny story! I can relate to early pregnancy tiredness and bad smells getting to you. You have an excellent sense of humour.

Hahaha, I know how you feel! That sucks that you got the nausea and smell sensitivities starting so early too! I'm glad you didn't end up puking on the guy, lol.

Lol. You did well.
I would have dressed in jeans and runners, murdered my sister and the guy in front AND vomited on him. Then been in bed fast asleep by nine. There's still a few years of partying in you yet!

That's hilarious!
I had some gnarly symptoms early like you. It's my first pregnancy so I don't know what to expect and when i have a symptom, I can REALLY feel it. It's annoying but exciting at the same time!

Ah! Been busy worrying over some light spotting I had the day my period was supposed to start, so I didn't get to this when it was posted.

Lith, women in my family get symptoms fairly quickly in pregnancy. We're all VERY sensitive to hormones, so much so that I can't take birth control because it practically destroys me with symptoms.

Also, hyperemesis gravidarum is also a problem in my family. My big sister H was in hospital on an IV both times she was pregnant due to her serious hg, so it is not a huge surprise I have bad nausea at this point either. My little sister also started puking early on.

As far as my resilience and energy goes, that's already below normal because I live with endometriosis, and the raft of coexisting chronic conditions that tend to go with it. I felt mildly queasy that day. Going to the club, it triggered a migraine. That makes me want to vom even worse. At my top condition non-pregnant, I can't stand for more than ten minutes without being very uncomfortable. So that explains most of my tiredness and nausea. It was made even worse by the pregnancy, aggravated by a migraine and my already tired state. When I'm tired, my nausea gets worse.

Forgive me if I am a little excited about being so ill. The thing is, my last pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. I had barely any illness in that pregnancy at all. The fact that this one is so overwhelmingly strong is encouraging to me, and lifts my hope that I will have a healthy baby at the end of this. Yes, I am probably obsessing over my symptoms. But after losing my little one last time, isn't that somewhat understandable?

Finally, no I do not think pregnant women should stay in bed in their PJs. My sister and I *both* have endometriosis and we have to crash and get into comfy clothes after a full day. The pain of the disease is unbearable, and it brings some pretty serious fatigue. My sister is also mother to a gregarious 22 month old. You could imagine how much hard work that is, and how much she appreciates taking a load off at night, right?

My Mum was hauling furniture at 8 months pregnant during one pregnancy. I think that's silly of her, but it illustrates how well she was when she was pregnant. I've seen women do great things with bellies full of bubbas. Any reference to an early night was referring to my own issues with my body, which I probably should have been clearer about.

Thank you, everyone else, for your positive feedback. My nausea has gone up and down and steadily stronger as time goes on. As has the fatigue. I'm just taking it easy and being as active as I can outside of lying on my big ol' pregnant a** all day!

I definitely get the whole tiredness thing! Unlike my first two pregnancies, this one I had symptoms really early! I was absolutely exhausted and wanted to sleep all of the time. Making it outside the house for me at this point is a major victory worthy of a party!

I think this post did well on highlighting that we can't pass judgments on anyone without knowing their circumstances. So many of us have medical conditions that aren't seen by the eye. I for one suffer from POTS )Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) and severe cyst ruptures. Looking at me, one would assume I am athletic and healthy. And meanwhile I am often curled in a fetal position wailing for the pain to pass after a rupture or crumpled in a heap on the floor from passing out. I feel for you and you have every right to feel proud of your outing! And you aren't alone in the birth control! I can not take any hormonal birth control- I've literally tried them all and I have so many awful side effects and symptoms that I am incapable of taking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->