What a traumatizing way to learn to swim!!

corgankidd

Soon to be mommy of three
Reaction score
Oh wow, I was interested in taking my baby swimming soon and so I wanted to look up techniques on introducing him to the pool on YouTube and I came across this video which I find super disturbing!! I guess it's a popular program here in the states, I don't know if its done in uk but its called infant aquatic survival and entails throwing your baby underwater repeatedly and making them figure out how to roll onto their back and float in order to survive! The poor baby in the video is crying while her mom throws her under water again :(

I guess it's safe because the programs haven't been shut down but it seems sooo traumatic to me! It seems like these babies would be terrified of water after this!

Is it just me or does this just seem really wrong?!?

https://youtu.be/1-3Y5q8Z_SU

I'm all for dunking but that does seem very harsh. Definitely would do it to my LO. You don't want them to be scared of water.

Although baby seems chilled when it's floating. Just cries when it's removed from water.

Edit : when I say dunking. I mean submerging them. Not repeatedly.

Baby is not floating, its trying to turn its self around so it can breath, as soon as it gets air it starts crying.

That video made me feel sick, the baby was obviously distressed and was just chucked in again.

I'm all for dunking as well, I actually can't wait to get lo in the pool so I can dunk him and show him there is nothing to be afraid of. Why someone would want to do something so extreme to "teach water safety" to an infant is beyond me though!! Poor baby :(

I do waterbabies with my LO and we submerge the babies regularly. However, we always talk to them before going under so that they know something is going to happen, and I would never dunk him if he was already crying. I don't like the look of that video at all!

I looked up what the program was all about and it supposed to teach babies to survive in case they fall into water when no one is watching. So they don't want the babies to know when they are going under so it takes them by surprise. They will also set them up on floaties and then tip them so the baby doesn't know any adults are near by

Just seems easier and more humane to watch your kid when it's near water like you're supposed to instead of putting it through this...

Ugh watching that made me feel really uneasy.

That is ridiculous. Poor baby is clearly not enjoying that one bit. You'd not need to teach your babies to survive a fall in water if you just...oh...don't know...maybe watch them?

That baby looks terrified! I just want to smack that woman back into her senses...

Things like that should be illegal if you ask me.

Oh. My. God. I could never do that to my poor baby! She must have been so terrified having your own mummy chuck her in when she was already so upset. Nope nope nope. Not something I could do.

I don't know how anyone could do that to there baby, she looked terrified,
I cant even bring myself to dunk mine even Sophie at her age, I can understand wanting to teach ur child to be safe around water but that babies not learning anything she just trying not to drown which surly she would do if an accident would happen, without having repeatedly doing it for no reason,
I feel so sorry for her :(

what the actual FCUK!!!! that video is disgusting!! as if a mother would do that to her baby when its clear shes distressed! i couldnt even watch it all! and iv reported it! disgusting i feel sick!

I'm not even going to watch the video cos I know it'll upset me! IMO it's totally cruel - the baby is crying for a reason. I do water babies as well - there are hundreds of success stories about babies saving themselves after a fall in water having done water babies classes, which offer a far more nurturing, fun way to learn water safety.

If you did that to a child, wouldn't it technically be classed as child abuse? What makes it any different to do it to a baby!!

My lo goes to puddleducks where they are submerged several times each lesson. You give a signal and my lo has just started to respond to that by closing her eyes ready to go under, if a child cries at the signal they are not submerged. It's like with anyone, even an adult who is a strong swimmer, if you get a shock in the water there's every chance you will take a sharp intake of breath which could lead to water in your lungs.

I didn't watch the video, just can't watch things like that xx

OH MY WORD, that is horrifying!

The way she keeps flinging the baby around willy nilly while the baby is trying to catch breath to cry...Uurrrggghhh.

I am a non swimmer, I went under when I was 9 and never got my confidence back. Traumatic experiences do not make for good learning. I want to teach my daughter to swim and perhaps I can learn at the same time...but it should be a nice calm experience, not this terrifying ordeal.

How she can do that, I have no idea.

I do waterbabies with my LO and we submerge the babies regularly. However, we always talk to them before going under so that they know something is going to happen, and I would never dunk him if he was already crying. I don't like the look of that video at all!

This exactly!

I won't watch the video because it sounds very disturbing.

Gosh. I feel guilty when water goes over her face when rinsing shampoo! Could never do that...

My DH's family said if you chuck a baby into the water they will instinctively swim. Don't think I'll risk that thank you! :shock:

That is disgusting!!! How could she do that to her baby? Like others, I have done waterbabies where LO was submerged and now go to different classes (where they dont believe in submersion at this stage...they focus om water confidence). Both classes are fantastic....but never, ever could/would I do something like that to my child x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->