• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What about "Diaper-Free Babies"?

Stiina

Mama!
Reaction score
Does anyone practise Diaper-Free babies? I've heard of it, and did a bit of research on it many months ago (when we were WTT) but I figured you ladies were the best to ask!

I don't think I'm going to "do" it, but I hope that I'll be in-tune with my baby enough that I'll be able to predict when it's coming (at least sometimes!), and whip the diaper off and just hold baby at arm's length and let 'er rip!

I think that's the basics of it anyway :D Don't mind me, though, I tend to word things quite bluntly! Sorry if I seem like a complete idiot!

Thanks for your replies! :flower:

(p.s. I am loving this section...what a wealth of knowledge for someone who is planning to be a cloth-bum mom! Thanks for all these threads!)

I used to let Caitlyn have all morning nappy free. I could tell when she was younger. Now if she has her nappy of she'll pee within 10 minutes - garenteed :dohh:

Do you mean elimination communication? Where you try and catch their pee and poo and potty train them as infants? I know some people that do it and they swear by it, I personally could never do it, I think it's more training the parents rather than the kids. As much as I love the boys and try and be really close, baby wearing and all that in the beginning I can't stare at their face and watch for cues 24/7 lol. Good luck if you do try it though!!!! Here is some more info on it if you want to look through it

https://www.timl.com/ipt/

lol, Toria!! My neighbour did that too, and had the same problem - except her baby was a boy and it always "went" in every direction!! I swear that kid just did it to make his mom mad!!!

Thanks for that link mommyof3 :) I had forgotten about the "sssss" signal...I remember thinking that was downright crazy when I read about it!

... I can't stare at their face and watch for cues 24/7 lol.

:laugh2: haha!! Good point :mrgreen:

Yeah granted I had 3 by the time I heard about it so there was just no way. But I really think it's like training the parents, you are cueing them to go, they aren't learning to recognize their own body's cues. I don't think infants are physically or mentally ready for that, I think it's just putting too much on them. I do think alot of people rely on diapers too long though, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a baby being in diapers for a year or 2 haha. I'm all for early potty training and watching your young toddler for cues from them to start it then, just not babies :)

I read the book while I was pregnant and was going to try it but then once Elliot was born we ended up back in hospital and all my energy was going on sorting out breastfeeding problems.

I'd like to give it a go, might read the book again... I haven't spotted any cues though!!!

It's supposed to actually help if you're baby wearing to spot the signs which aren't necessarily on their face! I think it said you feel 'phantom wetings' (?) where you feel that they've weed on you when they haven't actually and they just want to go to the toilet!

I find it really interesting and the diaper-free baby book is worth a read, I got it out from the library. We do the cueing sound when he wees when we're chaning his nappy but he hasn't been doing that recently.

x

if we are at home faith is mostly nappy free, i can only tell when she needs a poo so hold her over a potty as and when... wees though i have no idea... i just lay her on a towel on the floor/put a towel under her when i hold her etc.... xx

I looked into it while I was pregnant but just didn't have the energy to try it out when he was born, I kept saying I'd get around to starting but haven't yet and realistically don't think I will.

lol sounds interesting... I dont know how it would work though, any time I let Jasmine have naked time she pee'd within minutes.

lol sounds interesting... I dont know how it would work though, any time I let Jasmine have naked time she pee'd within minutes.

That'd probably work really well as you'd hold her over a potty and make the cueing sound when she pee'd, the theory is that you'd be able to eventually make the cueing sound and she'd pee on demand so to speak!!!

x

hmm... thats neat... although she is just about 9 months, so I guess we will be potty training in the near future anyway lol

I know of a few people who do it. Someone did it with her DS from 3 months and then went on to have another baby and did it with her from birth. Its really cool. As my LO has Spina Bifida and has no feeling on her bladder or bowels I wouldn't be able to do it, but it is something I would've liked to have done.

Our very bestest friends are doing EC with their youngest and swear by it. She's 10 months now and can sign (sometimes) when she wants to go. They also have a routine for giving her the oportunity regularly (before they leave the house, before they dress her, etc). Seems to work for them but I couldn't spend that much time in the bathroom :)

This method remnded me on a dog who was trained to poo on command. (release was the magic word) I wonder if it stays in your subconsiousness later, as to when ever maybe a child later hears this sounds they have to pee

Going without nappies is the 'normal' way to go here in China! A lot of you have probably seen pictures of little chinese kids with split pants. They just make the kids go wherever and whenever they need to. I think it's pretty amazing, but not doing it myself as I just wouldn't have a clue of how to start and I'm just not quite hard-core enough....;)

But I've asked some mums here how they do it and I've been told that you just learn their rhythms and signs when they are really little so you know when they need to go. Obviously with older kids it gets easy as they can give you clearer signs. And that also, you will just need to be prepared to get wet a few times in the beginning :p

Seems to work for them but I couldn't spend that much time in the bathroom :)

I'm with ya there Terri!!

... I wonder if it stays in your subconsiousness later, as to when ever maybe a child later hears this sounds they have to pee

HMMM! Good question! Might come in handy if you have to give a urine sample at the hospital...turning on the tap has never worked for me!!

But it might be a hindrance too...and let's face it, who wants wet pants at 25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->