What activities do you want your child to do? When older?

crazyguider

Reaction score
Oh and I were chatting about what activities we would like her to do when she is older
I want her to be in rainbows and brownies (as I'm
a leader)
gymnastics or another sport or dance
learn an imstrument (electric guitar would be so cool)
and swimming is a must!!
Oh wants her to learn self defence

I will not be pushy but try and get her into these things but allow her to quit if she hates them

What do you want ur kids to do xx

Ooh good thread. I think id like him to do swimming, football, some type of martial arts maybe, learn an instrument.. Eek it's so exciting thinking about all these things!! Swimming is a definate must though. And also if LO takes an interest in anything.

I would like serenity to be in choir,cross country running, and some type of dance. Im starting her in ballerina classes when shes between 2-3yrs :)

I really don't care what she does when it comes to sports/activities.
I was never a sport kind of type and my husband either.
We do live on the beach so we'll teach her how to swim, and my husband loves playing guitar so I'm sure he'll try and teach her if she wants to.

I remember when I was little and my dad forced my brother to play the violin, and he'd force him to practice it and my brother hated it so much, like he'd almost cry every time and my dad just didn't care.
Some people are idiots :flower:

OH and I are both very active people, so sports will be a must. I plan on putting him in a number of different sports when he is young, then he can choose what he likes and wants to continue with. OH and I are both hopping hockey is one of the things he likes. Swimming is also a must, as we spend a lot of time on our boat in the summer and our cottage is on the ocean.

I play a few different instruments, so I would love for him to want to learn to play something. But it's not something I will push on him if he doesn't like it.

my eldest does, swimming, recorder and piano.. but i waiting till he was able to kinda choose himself.. we tried football for a while but he had no interest. then he started to take a interst in music, so i got him piano lesson and he loves it. u wont really kno wat ur baby will b into until he/she gets a wee personality. my other little boy not even 3 and i kno already he wont have any interst in paino lessons!! i tink boxing wil b lore his style! :wacko:

We wantour girl in karate and then maybe muay thai kickboxing (like her daddy) when she's old enough. We'd also like her involved in music too (I was in the choir & played flute in band). We won't force her though. It'll ultimately be her choice.

My daughter is now 3 and I wanted her in something this year, but will have to wait til the baby is born. So far in her toddler years she did a Moms and Tots activity group (fine and gross motor) and Clamber Club (mostly gross motor) and goes to our churches Moms and Tots group still. She alo had early swimming lessons at school last year.

This year I am trying to decide between swimming lessons or gymnastics though I know there is a ballet class she can easily start too. I think gymnasutics will be better for this one though. We have our own pool so I have been teaching her myself up til now this year but I know the schools know things I am missing - only thing is we need a school with a heated pool so she can swim year round.

As for the next one, will wait and see how active she is and what suits her best.8

I would like Ricy to be involved in Guiding or Scouting as I can see how much DH has got out of it he only gave up being a leader 2 or 3 years ago. However I tried the girls brigade sort of church equivlent as a kid but never liked it and was put of the whole idea of uniformed orginisations.

I would like my kid to enjoy the outdoor life, skiing, cycling, my ski holidays are a bit stuffed if kid doesn't like -mmmmm!

Learning to swim is a must but not sure if I'd go with lessons or teach myself. My neice and nephew both got bored of lessons but I do wonder if it was because they weren't getting the chance to practice or just play around in the water.

I'd kind of like them to play an instrument but i am useless at keyboard so wouldn't push if they aren't intrested.

Beyond that it is really see what Ricy likes and take my lead from there, if he shows intrest in football, rugby, tennis, dance, gymnastics then fine.

My older kids do swimming, piano, basketball and baseball. This LO will probably do the same. We don't usually do more than 1 sport at a time though, that gets too hectic!

Whatever my children wanted to do, I'd never ever push them into anything, nothing for me is a 'must' but I would make sure they learnt how to swim. My 4 year old has recently asked to start dance classes, so I'm going to find one for her, because it's her choice, I'd hate to be a pushy mummy!!

Ooo just popping over from 2nd tri!
I would like to get him into dance :) its a good confidence booster too. Maybe something like swimming or football :)

I agree it's never a good idea to push a child to do anything
I sometimes think kids need parental support to keep up activities
I run a guide unit of 36 girls and the ones that stick it out are the ones who's parents cone and support us and give them a nudge to meetings every week
we had a girl recently who started she seemed to really like it and her cousin seemed to think she liked it, but her mum every week kept forgetting to bring her or would be watching corrie so she felt she could not walk in late
she waited for a place for a year and lasted one term and only attended 5 times.
I'm still waiting for her uniform back 7 weeks later :-(

I'm also glad most of you have mentioned swimming. This is so important to learn!
We recently had a 10 yr old start
her backround is not ideal, we were told she could not swim and went for a swim session
she was told to keep her armbands on and stay shallow
literally within 30 seconds of everyone getting in the pool she had popped the armbands under her towel as she was embarrased and she jumped in the deep end with her mates
we found her 30seconds later face down in the deep end
she had completely panicked and swallowed loads of water
we had her out and gave her first aid.
I spent 4 hours with her in the hospital
she has now had lessons with school but it was painfully obvious that she had never even been in a swimming pool in her entire life! She is coming on leaps and bounds in guides

Not sure, it's up to him what he wants to do. I was made to do things when I was a kid that I hated!!
I would 'like' him to want to take up something musical perhaps, because I'm very musical I suppose and it'd be nice to pass on what I know to my boy.

Swimming is important, I think. I personally never learned how to when I was young and don't want my LO to miss out on being able to have fun in the water. :)

Hubby will introduce her to safe chemistry experiments and teach her self defense on his own (brown belt) most likely, and I'll introduce her to painting, choir and dancing. We'll also introduce her to different musical instruments.

All of this will just be to help her define her own interests. If she turns into a sports nut, no problem. Artsy kid, also no problem. The most important thing is that she's happy and having fun.

Zigzag will learn to swim as a priority - no question about that. I want her to be able to look after herself in the water and also it will mean she will enjoy holidays :thumbup:

I have not set my mind on anything else as I will see what kind of child she is. Hopefully she will want to give something a try and I will encourage her - think it gives kiddies confidence but also it can broaden their social circle.

My OH and his family are very musical so I would like Dave to learn an instrument or two (of her choice) and take singing lessons in the future (if she's not shy but with parents like us she shouldn't be...).

I would also like her to have some kind of dance or drama class to build confidence and creativity, but again, it will be her choice. I was a dancer until my late teens and hope it is something we could do together.

OH is set that LO will be doing football, lol!

Apart from that I want to let LO decide. :)

I will push push push a boy into being a professional footballer and a girl into singing/acting!! Either way I hope they'll be making me and daddy a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!! *evil laugh*!!!

Seriously...................... :haha:

I will obviously encourage and support them in whatever they find interesting but I had friends at school who were desperately unhappy in 'activities' they hated but their parents wanted them to do. I know that OH would love a boy to share his obsession with football but he's not going to be pushy.

I tried my hand at lots of activities when I was younger, never stuck at anything long term though although I wish I'd kept up with dancing.

I will definately take LO swimming for fun and safety reasons though xxxxxxx

Great thread :flower:

A girl or a boy, I want my children to participate in at least one sport they love. I played basketball and softball when I was in school, and I was also a cheerleader for a time, so I hope my kids find something they enjoy and stick with it.

Learning an instrument and a foreign language (besides my boyfriend's first language-Spanish) could be really fun. Though if my kids start chatting so that I don't understand them, that might be a problem lol

Ultimately, I want them to find something they enjoy and something that will fulfill some of their free time in the afternoons after school-- not like my boyfriend's sister, who watches at least 20 hours of TV a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->