What activities do you want your child to do? When older?

Definitely swimming for safety reasons, especially as we would want to be living next to a lake sometime in the next few years if we're still in this country.

OH will most likely want to train Systema (martial art) with our kid. And if we're still living in Finland then winter sports is important (ice skating and skiing for school anyway) and maybe snowboarding. But we're not really the kind of people who like organised groups so we'd do most of this stuff ourselves with the kid except for snowboarding because that would need a proper teacher.

If the kids wants to join Scouts or something like that then I'd encourage it for sure, or take up a musical instrument.

I'm really not sure yet but my OH is determined that our boys will be in the scouts! And as his family is quite sporty I assume they will be doing a sport at some point. I played the violin as a child and hated it, my mum used to make me practice every day and I never got any better! So I won't be making them play a musical instrument unless they really want to x

I'll totally support anything the lil man wants to do, but I know hubby would like him to play football(he's English, for my fellow Americans, this is actually soccer :)), and we would like him to play basketball but he's gonna have to be tall! I would love for him to play an instrument, acoustic guitar would be great, but really, whatever he wants to do, I'm all about! Would love him to be in Boy Scouts as well! xx

We're going to take our baby swimming at 6 weeks old! Haven't thought much farther than that :)

My two little ones are DD 4yrs and DS 5yrs

DD goes to Dancing classes

DS goes to Football classes

and both go to swimming lessons and Tai kwon do

and they love it and also gets them away from the computer games

i wouldnt try and force anything ofc, but i think it will be hard for bubs not to like cars/motorsport as me and his dad are obsessed :D
also i desperately want a girl to do horses with :)

I will be taking him swimming by the time he's 6 months but also I would like at least one musical class (instrument of choice) and at least one other sport (footie or cricket or martial arts etc - swimming isn't optional).

Also depending on what his interests are, acting and drama classes, singing etc. The more the merrier to start with and then narrow it down to what he is truly interested in.

Oh, I forgot! OH wants her to learn Chinese as he think it is the way forward for her in business :haha: He's as bad as his mother planning out this career path for her. She could end up as an ice-cream vendor for all we know!!

One of my guides quit 2 years ago because her mum
said she could not get her off msn
messanger and facebook to come to meetings!

Fair enough not to come
if she did not like it anymore, but if the Internet reason was the truth... That's pretty sad at the age of 11!

I agree it's never a good idea to push a child to do anything
I sometimes think kids need parental support to keep up activities
I run a guide unit of 36 girls and the ones that stick it out are the ones who's parents cone and support us and give them a nudge to meetings every week
we had a girl recently who started she seemed to really like it and her cousin seemed to think she liked it, but her mum every week kept forgetting to bring her or would be watching corrie so she felt she could not walk in late
she waited for a place for a year and lasted one term and only attended 5 times.
I'm still waiting for her uniform back 7 weeks later :-(

I'm also glad most of you have mentioned swimming. This is so important to learn!
We recently had a 10 yr old start
her backround is not ideal, we were told she could not swim and went for a swim session
she was told to keep her armbands on and stay shallow
literally within 30 seconds of everyone getting in the pool she had popped the armbands under her towel as she was embarrased and she jumped in the deep end with her mates
we found her 30seconds later face down in the deep end
she had completely panicked and swallowed loads of water
we had her out and gave her first aid.
I spent 4 hours with her in the hospital
she has now had lessons with school but it was painfully obvious that she had never even been in a swimming pool in her entire life! She is coming on leaps and bounds in guides

Great to hear that the poor kid is doing well in the Guides. I am sure Scouts / Guides can really give kids confidence etc one of the reasons I would love my kid to be involved.

You are right kids do need parent support but at the same time kids have to want to do it / be there or it isn't fair on the other kids who want to be involved and do the activites etc.

DH got really annoyed at a set of parents who sent their boy, who didn't want to go, to Scout Camp. He caused lots of hassle refusing to get involved with anything. The boy called his parents and complained he was being bullied and wanted to go home. The parents then phoned the leaders to complain about the alleged bullying. It eventully came out that the parents were away for the weekend to a wedding and thought sending DS to Scout camp was a cheap babysitting service!

That is really sad what you are saying about an 11 year old who was glued to the internet. Kind of scares me to think what the internet will be like in another 11 years time when Ricy is 11 - think about it we never knew what an internet forum was 11 years ago!

Whatever Lilly wants to do honestly. I dabbled in just about everything gymnastics, balle, dance, basketball, karate. I think DH said he did cross country running but he was more of a trouble maker in school.

Im a bellydancer and would love to get her to do that with me. Anything with music and to keep her active at least.

swimming is a must as i live right at the sea side and maybe a dance as i always wanted to when i was younger but if my LO doesnt want to then they dont have to its completely up to them in not fussed for all i care they dont do any aslong as theey do swimming i dont care what ever makes them happy really... but i would love singing lessons and violin

Oh, I forgot! OH wants her to learn Chinese as he think it is the way forward for her in business :haha: He's as bad as his mother planning out this career path for her. She could end up as an ice-cream vendor for all we know!!

Are you both going to learn too? I am sure there is something about kids being programmed to learn language before the age of 3 - good luck trying:winkwink:

OH and i both play guitar (base/electric) aswell as other immediate family so i would like her to learn guitar

i absolutly love swimming so will be taking her with me and start her in clubs if she wishes

i also want her to be confident with herself and her body so id like her to be doing an activity like dancing, self defence or gymnastics at some stage

more importantly though i just want her to have fun growing up and learn through play...im a trained play worker so id like her to have opportunities to be involved in all types of play.

I think sports are really important for kids...ideally, he'll be into hockey since it's the only sport I like to watch, but as long as he's active i'm a-okay :)

Are you both going to learn too? I am sure there is something about kids being programmed to learn language before the age of 3 - good luck trying:winkwink:

I would give it a go actually! I picked up Thai pretty easily but speaking and reading Chinese is a whole different ball game, I imagine! OH has an excellent English lexicon but his memory's capacity for retaining other languages is not the best :haha:

Well done you being able to learn Thai. I am a bit like your OH my ability to learn languages is hopeless no matter how hard I try. My DH pee's himself laughing at the extent of my German. It's limited to 'une klinis beer, une groshis beer, danka!' Now my spelling will not be anywhere near right I know but at least I can order a half pint and a full pint or whatever their measure is!
My DH's friends wife is Chinese but her English puts me to shame. I'll have to ask her at some point when she started to learn got a feeling she may have been tiny as one of her parents is an English professor.

i would like my girly to get into horses as being brought up around them from a youngish age myself and having themnow, i would like her to take on the role too,
i would like to get her involved in pony club activites etc from a young age so shes confident x also swimming and somethingof her choice like dance or something x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->