what age did you give dummy to lo

babytibby

Reaction score
I want to avoid giving layla a dummy if I can, mainly so I dont have to go through the hassle later of getting it off her again and oh isnt keen on her having one either, says shes too young.

I almost did the other night as she just isnt settleing very well at night recently and thought it may help

Is she still too young, shes 2 weeks and 2 days

Dummies seem to be controversial and there are reasons for and against but I think you have to be open minded and go with what you need to do at the time. I was always open to the idea of a dummy and DH was very against them but I think LO was less than a week old when we gave him a dummy in the end. He was hysterical and so were we and it helped us all. I don't regret it. Still use it when it's needed and will wean him off it when the time comes.

About 12 hours old!! I never had any trouble getting my oldest to drop her dummy, she had one until 7 months, and then never showed any interest in them since. I hope to get rid of Rose's dummy at about the same age.

I think my LO was about a week old, best thing ever! We were both completely open to it tho, neither of us had a problem if it helped settle her. Even now, she has it for sleeps although usually spits it out and just grabs it and puts it back in herself if she needs it.
Its also helped with her teething as they have came in thick and fast! She generally doesn't get it during the day, but if she is grumpy or teething or grinding her teeth then i give her it. I'll worry about taking it off her when she is older as i personally don't see the harm in them :)

I have 3 other children and they all had them, I just cant remember what age it was. I have no problem with them at all, its just something I thought I may try and avoid this time round

I was dead set against dummies especially as I was breastfeeding, but Harry is a really light sleeper and finds it hard to settle. At about 5 weeks I gave in and gave him one, he literally sucked for about 5 minutes, spat it out and went to sleep. I still don't use them often, just when he's struggling to go off.

My DD wouldnt take a dummy/pacifer for some reason... I tried at 6 week though never would take it lol

About one week. It's obviously a decision if you want to use them or not, but age wise I wouldn't say there's such a thing as too young.

That said, its recommended with breastfeeding not to give dummies or bottles before 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. We flouted both these rules (out of desperation we gave dummy before 2 weeks and expressed milk in bottle before 3 weeks I think) and Isobel never had any problem with latch. But maybe we were lucky.

As far as dummies go:
*I haven't tried taking it away yet, but we went from letting her have it anytime to only when tired without any issue
*They do help reduce SIDS risk but only slightly and imo not enough reason to use them
*They do help soothe a tired baby and can give you a break from a baby who is comfort sucking on your breast constantly (though cluster feeding can be mistaken for this), but it won't soothe a hungry/wet one of course, and you will still need to soothe your baby in other ways too, eg rocking. I know that's obvious but it p**s me off when some people say dummies are for parents who can't be bothered to properly soothe their child.
*Babies don't always like every brand, especially cheap ones. We use MAM and I've heard others on here say MAM worked for them.

About one week. It's obviously a decision if you want to use them or not, but age wise I wouldn't say there's such a thing as too young.

That said, its recommended with breastfeeding not to give dummies or bottles before 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. We flouted both these rules (out of desperation we gave dummy before 2 weeks and expressed milk in bottle before 3 weeks I think) and Isobel never had any problem with latch. But maybe we were lucky.

As far as dummies go:
*I haven't tried taking it away yet, but we went from letting her have it anytime to only when tired without any issue
*They do help reduce SIDS risk but only slightly and imo not enough reason to use them
*They do help soothe a tired baby and can give you a break from a baby who is comfort sucking on your breast constantly (though cluster feeding can be mistaken for this), but it won't soothe a hungry/wet one of course, and you will still need to soothe your baby in other ways too, eg rocking. I know that's obvious but it p**s me off when some people say dummies are for parents who can't be bothered to properly soothe their child.
*Babies don't always like every brand, especially cheap ones. We use MAM and I've heard others on here say MAM worked for them.

at 8 weeks.

i wasn't going to use one but it really is helping with him settling. i say have an open mind cause i didn't before hand but should have :) I would have had alot more sleep. :)

The day I brought her home from hospital!!! She loves her dummy

I was sure I'd not give my baby a dummy, not because I'm anti them, just expected because I was breastfeeding I'd not bother. However when we got to 7 weeks and her reflux was particularly bad our doctor suggested it'd be good as the sucking action can help keep anything down. She didn't really take to it at first but now seems fine with it. When we saw the health visitor the other day I mentioned how I'd not planned to give a dummy and she said dummies get bad press and the sucking on them release endorphines for a baby which is a great thing and in her opinion more people should use them. x

i wanted to give LO a dummy, but he just wouldnt take one :(

have you tired different brands and types.?? my lo would not take one either to start but i think its cause he didn't like the kind we were using. I tried a different one and he seems to love it :)

i wanted to give LO a dummy, but he just wouldnt take one :(

have you tired different brands and types.?? my lo would not take one either to start but i think its cause he didn't like the kind we were using. I tried a different one and he seems to love it :)

we tried loads. different brands, different shapes etc. he preferred the nuby ones, but he had to be in the mood to take them. we've just given up now, he STTN and sucks on a bottle for comfort if he needs to x

...day 4 for us, he'd suck on it till he fell asleep and then spit it out but once he found his thumb to self soothe at around 10 weeks, he won't take it anymore!

about 2 weeks i think? she will only take the nuby chic ones tho which only boots and online sell them so im buggered if i go out and forget it and theres not a boots did'nt relise at the time when i brought them tho.

fingers crossed the next baby will have one's which are available everywhere .

My LO was about 5 hours old when she got one. And I don't think I could get by without it. Really helps at night too. When talking to a lactation consultant about it she said that babies need 2 types of sucking. one for feeding and another for brain development. I have never had latching issues with my LO, I just don't breastfeed her because I would never get any rest since it takes her an hour to feed. The consultant even said it is ok to give them a pacifier as long as its not the kind that curves. She said the kinds that the hospital uses are the best because they most mimic a breast nipple. And the ones that curve force them to put their tongues back to hold it in their mouths so that causes them to struggle when it comes to nursing.

I never gave any dummy to my lo, don't think will give in future. Anyway
here I found something interesting

https://english.pravda.ru/science/tech/20-09-2004/7047-pacifier-0/

might want to give it to my OH who snores occasionally :sleep:

Okay jokes appart, I feel a bit strange to put something plasticky inside mouth for long periods of time.
Just dont feel comfortable about it.

I gave him one on day 2, never confused him with regards to BF and im still doing it nearly 6 weeks later xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->