What age is appropriate to buy LO a cellphone?

I_AM_LIVID

Mum to 1Angel & b/g twins
Reaction score
As the title says, what do you think? Obviously I don’t plan to buy my 8 month olds mobile phones, was just wondering because of an ongoing debate on facebook.

A friend asked if it was okay to buy her 6 year old son a cellphone. I answered that phones are simply a means of communication and if a child can communicate well verbally, then I don’t see the problem. My argument is that children now take school trips, have sleep overs and extra curriculum activities and a mobile phone is a nice way to keep in touch and make sure they are safe when not with you. What I won’t do is buy a 6 year old an expensive, state of the art mobile phone as it is unnecessary. I also wouldn’t get the internet connected.

Anyway, another poster got brutal and said parents that buy children cellphones before the age of 12 are spoiling their children and that children need to learn to work hard for what they get. She says that buying a 6 year old a cellphone is just asking for them to be robbed because they are not responsible enough. Her argument was that a cellphone is a grown up tool and that parents need to let children be children as they have all the time in the world for ‘grown-up stuff’ later.

Am I too modern a mum for thinking it is okay? :shrug:

No, I'd want Ruby to have one. Maybe one that could only receive incoming calls.
However, if all her friends had them and all texted each other etc I wouldn't want her left out, I think I'll be crossing this bridge when we come to it but in theory I agree with you.

Until high school I dont see the need TBH. xx

I just bought my 11 year old a mobile phone as he has started playing out with his friends after school and i feel safer about it knowing i can get hold of him if need be also if god forbid he was in a accident or something the police, ambulance crew would be able to ring me and let me know.

Stupid phone!!
My nephew got his first one for his 11th birthday as he walks to school totally alone now, has sleep overs and always goes round his girlfriends after school..
He just sends my sister a quick text saying where he is and what time he will be home..

So much easier than him havin to come home tell his mum and then go all the way back to his girlfriends etc..

Its just a simple £10 phone from tesco. His best mate has an iphone though.. Which i dont agree with.
Xx

I bought my son a mobile phone at age 10. I saw it as a safety thing more than anything when he was out and about. It wasnt a state of the art one, but he has more sophisticated one now at nearly 13 (Blackberry) All his mates have one too.....you`d be really surprised how many 10 year olds are walking round with Blackberrys and Iphones.

i think if a child is at an age where they are going to school alone,sleepovers, staying out with friends after schoo etc then they should have a mobile, but just a cheap one till they learn to look after it. when my brother got his first phone he lost it in a few weeks climbing trees etc

Yeah i think when they start going places without parents, for the reasons you stated! my ten yr olds got one, not that he really go's anywhere on his own yet but it's in preparation of me letting go of the apron strings, If i ever can lol xx

I just bought my 11 year old a mobile phone as he has started playing out with his friends after school and i feel safer about it knowing i can get hold of him if need be also if god forbid he was in a accident or something the police, ambulance crew would be able to ring me and let me know.

same here i got my son one, when he started playing out, there was a bully that would come into our area and pick on the kids, so felt comfortable knowing he can ring me if he needs to, he doesnt txt friends or ring anyone, an unless he out it sits in the draw.

Stupid phone!!
My nephew got his first one for his 11th birthday as he walks to school totally alone now, has sleep overs and always goes round his girlfriends after school..
He just sends my sister a quick text saying where he is and what time he will be home..

So much easier than him havin to come home tell his mum and then go all the way back to his girlfriends etc..

Its just a simple £10 phone from tesco. His best mate has an iphone though.. Which i dont agree with.
Xx

Girlfriend at 11? Wow!
I agree about the Iphone :wacko:

My friends 5 year old has a phone. I first thought it was a little ridiculous but she explained it was for when she was with her dad. Her dad has a habit of not wanting the little girl to call mommy when he has her, so she wanted her to be able to call her when she wanted.

Personally, I will get Nolan one when he starts going to friend's house regularly and having sleep overs. I don't think they are just for grown ups anymore, for the most part , no one I know has a land line anymore so I want him to have access to a phone whenever he needs it. You can add a basic line for $10 a month so I will probably do that when he is 8 or so, to hand to him when he goes out with a buddies family.

An issue that would make me nervous is some older kids (or yobs) trying to take the phone off my kid. As much as I would feel safer for my child to have one when they're older and running around on their own, that does make me a bit skittish.

I say the age that is appropriate is whenever you feel comfortable with your child leaving the house on their own and being out on their own with friends. My aunt got them for my cousins and they were strictly used when they'd go out for social things so they could be reached, but when they went to school and such the phones stayed at home in a drawer.

When he becomes more independent, wanting to stay over at friends, go out with friends etc etc, so maybe 10 or so!
Just to ensure he is safe and i could get hold of him at any time.
Id hate for him to feel left out with friends if they all had them, so id also factor tha in too!

I would buy DD a cellphone when she is old enough to be spending time away from me eg as you say sleepover or overnight trip. It seems like children are being "adult-ified" alot but for me being able to check that she is ok is paramount.

My friends 5 year old has a phone. I first thought it was a little ridiculous but she explained it was for when she was with her dad. Her dad has a habit of not wanting the little girl to call mommy when he has her, so she wanted her to be able to call her when she wanted.

Personally, I will get Nolan one when he starts going to friend's house regularly and having sleep overs. I don't think they are just for grown ups anymore, for the most part , no one I know has a land line anymore so I want him to have access to a phone whenever he needs it. You can add a basic line for $10 a month so I will probably do that when he is 8 or so, to hand to him when he goes out with a buddies family.

I have a friend who has one for her 8 y/o daughter for this very reason. It backfired on her one day, however, when the little girl called her Nan because she was sent to her room by her mom for backtalking. She told her Nan that her mom LOCKED her in her room and wasn't letting her eat. The nan then rang the mom and got the true story, hehe.

Girlfriend at 11? Wow!
I agree about the Iphone :wacko:[/QUOTE]

My son is ten and he's had the same girlfriend for nearly a year! its so sweet lol :hugs: x

An issue that would make me nervous is some older kids (or yobs) trying to take the phone off my kid.

Yep, I have that fear too, which is why he doesnt take it to school (apart from kids being on them in lessons too) and I always tell him not to have it on show walking down the street

I have a friend who has one for her 8 y/o daughter for this very reason. It backfired on her one day, however, when the little girl called her Nan because she was sent to her room by her mom for backtalking. She told her Nan that her mom LOCKED her in her room and wasn't letting her eat. The nan then rang the mom and got the true story, hehe.

:haha: Funny!!

I'm not sure what age but as soon as my lo starts going anywhere alone she will have a simple pay as you go phone without internet. Even just going to park across the street I want her to be able to call me if she feels uncomfortable about anything. Like if a strange man is blocking the only exit or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->