What age to do a proper long distance flight?

jenny82

Reaction score
I want to drive across New Zealand in a camper. It's my dream holiday :happydance:

Just trying to work out what age is the best age to have a long distance flight with the kids. We've done 2-3 hours on a plane and it was great but I don't know how 10+ hours would go!

Next summer we would have a 2.5 & 4.5 year old. Still a bit young or wait another few years? I would also want them to remember it so maybe I need to wait say, 4 years?

We did a 7 hrs flight with Omar, he was fine but he was bored. My aunt do long flights, she did a 20 hrs (connection) flights with a newborn & a 3 yrs old & she survived on her own :rofl:

See, I don't know how people do that :haha:

Am thinking if 6 & 4, they might be less whiny and I have to do less? Wishful thinking!

I don't have kids, but I have flown quite a bit. I've been on flights with perfectly behaved 3 year olds and nightmare 10 year olds (obviously some misbehavior is expected-they are cooped up for a long time). I think it is more about how well the children are parented (in general, not just on the flight) then the age. That being said, personally, I would wait until they are older, but this has little to do with the flight. I would want to wait so that they are both old enough to remember the trip and can do all of the fun stuff. Just my $.02.

Id much rather 6 & 4 than with a 2 year old!

I recently took my 2 year old on an 8 hour flight and she was fine but i think they would probably appreciate the holiday more when they are older.

Elijah and I are doing a 9hr flight to the u.s.a in october, he will be 16months. Not sure how its going to go!!!! :shock:

Up to you - I think it depends on the kid!

Ariana has done short flights (2-3 hours) so far. When we came back from FL in December, our flight was delayed 8 hours. She held it together pretty well. When we were boarding the plane, I was being rushed to get situated. I was like look, I have a baby, going as quickly as I can, so relax!!

A few weeks ago I did a 9.5 hour flight with my 4 year old to canada, and she was fine, I even got a compliment of a woman sat near us that in all her 65 years she had never seen a child so well behaved and happy, so that was lovely. I wouldnt worry about, I took lots of things to do, but most of them got unused, she mostly just loved the one to one undidved attention without me having to go off and do housework ect. ! Lol xx

We have only ever done long haul. Our first family holiday was to Florida and DD was 15m. We then did Oman when DD was 3 and DS was 1 and again the following year. All flights were around 9.5-10hrs and we had no problems at all and we are planning another long haul once DD2 is allowed to fly x

There is nothing worse than spending a 12 hour flight listening to a child scream all the way or kick the back of your seat :wacko:

We try and aim for night flights so in theory lo will sleep :shrug:

So long as you take plenty of entertainment and you have better parenting skills than shrieking as loud as the child saying I just cant make her be quiet then I reckon they will be fine :flower:

next yr ill have a 1 and a 2yr old on a 32hr flight to NZ! so glad its one way! we aint coming back :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->