What are free 'prescriptions' for?

Vrinda

Reaction score
Hi, I am new in UK, just had my first appointment and got free prescriptions.
I was wondering what is that used for?

Can that be used for prenatal vitamins and stuff like that?

Thanks

Its so if you go to the doctor and are prescribed antibiotics, etc you can get that prescription for free x

you could ask your doctor to prescribe prenatal vitamins after your appointment, then those would be free too. x

Anything you are prescribed while pregnant, also get free prescriptions until baby is 1 x

They often don't prescribe prenatal as you'd just buy them over the counter but anything the doctor would prescribe, whether related to the pregnancy or not is free.

I get all of my repeats for existing conditions free too, so my asthma inhaler and my meds for my crohn's. It's one of the things the NHS does that I think is really fantastic!

I am so jealous of the uk's free dental when pregnant!!! I have terrible teeth... Spent $6000 on them two years ago, and about $1000 every 6 months since then. I am due for an appointment, but I don't want to use all of my savings again!!

They often don't prescribe prenatal as you'd just buy them over the counter but anything the doctor would prescribe, whether related to the pregnancy or not is free.

They do prescribe them often - my sister was told when she was pregnant that the main reason you are entitled to the free prescriptions is due to the folic acid and things you may need to combat side effects such as gaviscon for heartburn etc.

x

They do prescribe them often - my sister was told when she was pregnant that the main reason you are entitled to the free prescriptions is due to the folic acid and things you may need to combat side effects such as gaviscon for heartburn etc.

x

I was told to buy my own

You get everything for free even dental care during pregnancy up until child turns one years old x

I had my aspirin, prenatals, calcium and vitamin D supplements on a repeat prescription every month and the odd bottle of peptic liquid for heartburn if i rang up for it (i preferred the gaviscon but it was expensive the amount i get through lol). ANYTHING a dr prescribes you will now be free until little one is a year old.

As the other have said dental is free too. The only thing that isn't free with a maternity exemption card is your eye test and glasses.

What prenatal do they give? Is it just folic acid, I'm still taking my preconception ones as I have loads left

yeah it will be folic acid. i paid for pregnacare as im so early x

You should get folic acid hun. I got some on prescription as I have a slightly higher BMI so needed a stronger dose of folic acid than what is available to buy over the counter! I also got given by the midwife some pre natal vitamins and folic acid to take after my first scan!

Just another question regarding FW8 form. Do I just need to fill the form and send it to mentioned address, and what to expect next? Do they send some sort of certificate which is used for both dental and presecription? Thanks again

I got a prepaid envelope to stick it in and put in the post, did you not? I believe they send you a little card that you can show to verify you qualify? As if the bump didn't give it away, but I guess it's useful to have till you start to show.

You should get folic acid hun. I got some on prescription as I have a slightly higher BMI so needed a stronger dose of folic acid than what is available to buy over the counter! I also got given by the midwife some pretty natal vitamins and folic acid to take after my first scan!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your BMI hun? Mine is 35 but I'm still taking the standard dose via the pregnacare tablets. Just wondering if I need to be on a higher amount too.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->