What are the benefits to waiting a few days for the first bath?

You want to let the vernix rub into the baby's skin. Not taking a bath will help keep the womb smell on baby and it helps baby transition from womb to world, it can also help in breastfeeding. I didn't bathe either of my boys until 2 weeks of age.

Never heard of this before yet it makes so much sense!

I may also request that the nurses dont bathe the baby for the first 24 hours, but I will probably shower after our first breastfeed because I like to get up and be active and I dont personally like the feelign for being dirty and covered in blood.

the hospitals have certain rules where you have to be able to do a certain amount of things such as get out of bed 3 times aided and unaided, get pass urine and feces, and shower unaided, the sooner I get those done the sooner I get to take baby home. With Barry we were home within 36 hours of me entering the hospital.

We had meconium here (not huge amounts admittedly!) and didn't do any washing of him for the first 2 days, I left hospital about 4/5 hours after having him. He didn't have his first proper bath for about 2 weeks, just wiped him a bit.

We dressed him at the hospital and the 2 doctors that checked him over were wearing gloves anyway.

Interesting thread!! Is it possible to (gently) wash the other goop off while leaving most of the vernix on? I don't know my hospital's policy on baths.

Just remember that you do not have to consent to anything in hospital. Your baby your choice and saying the sentence "I do not consent" is usually all it takes. It's none of their business why you choose not to do certain things. Another reason not mentioned here is that hospitals generally use horrible chemically soap. Brand new babies certainly do not need soap and especially not the cheap stuff.

Am I right in assuming that nurses bathing babies is mainly a US thing? When I had my son (3.5yrs ago) it was up to the mothers to clean their babies. We ended up staying in hospital for 7 days and all I did was give him a 'top & tail' around his face and bottom with clean water and cotton wool - no soap at all. In fact I think he was nearly 2 weeks old when I eventually had the courage to give him a bath!

The only encouraging the nurses did to give babies a bath was to see that mums, especially teen mums, knew how to give a bath.

Hope you get what you want :hugs:

Am I right in assuming that nurses bathing babies is mainly a US thing? When I had my son (3.5yrs ago) it was up to the mothers to clean their babies. We ended up staying in hospital for 7 days and all I did was give him a 'top & tail' around his face and bottom with clean water and cotton wool - no soap at all. In fact I think he was nearly 2 weeks old when I eventually had the courage to give him a bath!

The only encouraging the nurses did to give babies a bath was to see that mums, especially teen mums, knew how to give a bath.

Hope you get what you want :hugs:

Im guessing it is an American thing. Thoguth when I think back to it now, they just gave Barry a quick wipe over with a sponge and a little warm water, no soaps. Mostly to get the blood off I think so that I could take him and feed him.

Yes, very much an American thing (as are most unnecessary birth practices...*sigh*). Baby is usually wiped down immediately after birth, then "bathed" (which oftentimes means washed up under running water) a while later, or the next day (depending on the hospital stay).

Yes, very much an American thing (as are most unnecessary birth practices...*sigh*). Baby is usually wiped down immediately after birth, then "bathed" (which oftentimes means washed up under running water) a while later, or the next day (depending on the hospital stay).

Colorado is now over 1% homebirth, which is a lot for the US (country average .59%)... I hope that at some point, the hospitals sit up and take notice, as they lose more and more of their most lucrative business (maternity) due to their practices. Maybe that will take 3%? 5%? But I think it's coming.

Colorado is now over 1% homebirth, which is a lot for the US (country average .59%)... I hope that at some point, the hospitals sit up and take notice, as they lose more and more of their most lucrative business (maternity) due to their practices. Maybe that will take 3%? 5%? But I think it's coming.

I think we can see changes in the way women are thinking about birth all across the U.S. The changes have been very small and I think it will take a long time for the real changes that need to happen take place (insurance covering more and vbac trials common practice and less induction). We are on the right path though.

Woww I never knew anything about this stuff!
I guess that's one more thing ill be arguing with the nurses about.
I want a homebirth bt I'm worried bc it's my first baby..I have gbs & idk idk..I'm jst confused lol

Its a good idea to have a bath not long after giving birth, BUT, in my opinion, you only really need to sit in a couple of inches of water to give your bits a bath, theres no need to use soap or have a full body wash that removes the natural scents your baby is attracted to. After my last birth, a home birth, I had a small bath a few hours after with a bit of tea tree and lavender in it, baby didn't come into the bath with me until he was a few days old and I had stopped using the lavender. He loved it! It does my head in to hear of u.s practices of washing the baby straight away etc, I'm in the uk and my midwives pretty much just followed my lead. They were fantastic! I thought they would be more in my face it being a home birth but they were so relaxed and happy it was wonderful- I would do it again!

missmiylove, I don't think you would be 'allowed' a homebirth with gbs, don't they need to give you iv antibiotics for it?

missmiylove, I don't think you would be 'allowed' a homebirth with gbs, don't they need to give you iv antibiotics for it?

Actually a lot of homebirthers don't even get tested for GBS. Even if they do, 14-15 weeks is too early to determine if you'd still be a carrier near the end of pregnancy. Finally, the antibiotics are optional, and there are lots of ways to improve your immunity (Vit C, garlic, etc) near the end of pregnancy to try to flush it out of your system. ...

But there are lots of threads on third trimester about the treating of this so I won't belabor the point :)

Ahh thats good! I figured that if you had it, they would use it as an excuse to refuse a homebirth. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->