What are the odds?

jnr

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, I just picked where I thought it seemed the most relevant.

A little history. I have had irregular cycles forever. They got more "normal" a couple of years ago and were coming about every 35-40 days up until June of 2012. I have not had a period since. For personal reasons, I don't take birth control so it's hard to regulate my cycles.

Now, fast forward. I had unprotected sex - being in a long-term monogamous relationship - and for the past month or so I have been really strange. I feel as if I could throw up at any moment. In fact, a lot of mornings I do get sick but it's always just mucus. Sometimes I get sick when eating though. I am tired all of the time. For example, I went to bed last night at 8:30 pm. I never can sleep throughout the night though, so I don't know if I am just extra tired because of that or not. I am moody and crampy. All those awful things.

I guess, my question is for people who know more than I do about cycles and pregnancy and all that. I have always understood that you can't get pregnant without ovulating. And if you ovulate, you have a period. So, without having a period since June, is it possible that I ovulated and somehow got pregnant? Or do my "symptoms" seem to point at something else? At first I thought it was just a stomach bug, but I have been sick to my stomach for a long time now and with no other "sickness" symptoms.

Any help?

Have you taken a pregnancy test? What you're describing are clearly pregnancy symptoms. I guess it could be entirely possible that you ovulated but also conceived, thus no period. Had you not conceived perhaps you would have had another irregular period. If you haven't already, I'd take a test and go from there. Best of luck to you. :)

No, I have yet to take a test because with my irregular periods it seems like it is always a waste of money.

I was just wondering what the odds would be that after not having a period for 7 months that I would happen to ovulate and conceive. It seems a little far-fetched, but I guess anything is possible.

I will wait it out another week or two and then if the symptoms persist, I suppose I will take a test.

Thanks for the reply!

I think it is absolutely possible! Take a test when you feel ready, and update here!!

Thank you for the replies. The only thing that strikes me as weird is that I have not had a period since June and I just think it is really weird that I would ovulate for the first time in 7 months and actually conceive. It just seems a little far-fetched for some reason.

I will make an appointment with my doctor next week because obviously something is going on, I just don't know what it is.

You could always buy one of the dollar store cheapie tests

Well, to answer my own question, the odds are slim to none. And I somehow managed it. I had a very bad cold so I finally decided to go to the doctor to see if I could get it kicked. While there, she did a pregnancy test that came back positive and I didn't believe her so they did a quick ultrasound just to make sure and there was a baby. With arms and legs and everything. She was not an ultrasound tech, but she said she guessed I was at least 12 weeks. I have been looking online though and I wonder if I am more like 10 weeks.

I need people's wisdom here!

Congratulations!!!!! An ultrasound technician can measure the baby and tell you how far along you are based on that. It's funny, but babies seem to grow at a fairly predictable rate for their gestational ages.

I want to trust that she was right, but as she said, she is an RN, not an ultrasound tech. Of course I can't get in to an OB until March 5th, so this is going to be a LONG week!:wacko:

Either way, that's amazing! Congratulations!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->