What Are You Doing With The Placenta???

I really want to keep mine and make placenta pills as well...But DH said he will NEVER make deer jerkey again in the dehydrator if I use it to dehydrate my placenta...or the coffee bean grinder...LOL...And I really like my deer jerky...Plus I don't think my hospital will *allow* me to bring it home...

^ It's your right to take it home as it's your organ...

Also, my mom really doesn't want me to bring mine home to eat and she's said that I have to buy separate pans and cutlery and whatnot :p

Here's how my friend did her own - not time consuming at all Jenniflower - it's her birth story with detailed pictures of her baby being born and then about 3/4 of the way down the info about encapsulation is there. x

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhcwj3xv_46g768cgcs

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing birth story! It brought tears to my eyes because it was so similiar to my experiences!!!! Thats the exact "recipe" my midwife and I used 13.5 years ago with my daughters placenta so I guess it is still good :happydance:

WOW! Looking at and reading such a beautiful birth story makes me wonder why anyone would ever WANT to do it differently????? So beautiful!!!!!! :kiss:

Hmmm to be honest I'm not really interested in seeing it or doing anything with it. I havet given it any thought the MW can take it.

Hubby certainly wont want to see it, he doesnt want to see anything at the business end lol or cut the cord even.

I never thought I would either!! hahahaha. I was disgusted by this thread for about a good 6 weeks then all of a sudden today I turn to DH and I'm like I want Placenta Pills! He now thinks I'm becoming more of a hippie due to this board hahahaha :haha:

You're one of us now! :haha:

I really want to keep mine and make placenta pills as well...But DH said he will NEVER make deer jerkey again in the dehydrator if I use it to dehydrate my placenta...or the coffee bean grinder...LOL...And I really like my deer jerky...Plus I don't think my hospital will *allow* me to bring it home...

They're not "allowing" anything. Most just assume you don't want it and get rid of it. If you say you want it, it's your right. :)

I asked DH last night if he could do the steaming cutting part. After looking at the pictures in that birth story I started getting queezy again. He's not bothered at all by those things so he agreed. But he doesn't want to be crushing them for 2 hours. So that's now my job :)

Your lucky, mine wont help out with that, he has a weaker stomach than me. So if i want it done im gonig to have to do it myself

Found this recipe as well which sounds just like the one in the birth story:

Cut off the cord and membranes.

Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.

Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).

Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.

Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.

The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

Merv's Mum I have a few questions if you don't mind. Your friend baked her's at 110. What that F or C? Also she said to take 2 at a time 3 times a day each time with white wine. Is that a whole glass you would need? Or just enough to swallow them down? I read the white wine helps break down the enzymes or something so I can understand that bit. But if you're breast feeding you're not meant to drink alcohol but is it generally not a problem then? Thanks! :flower:

They're not "allowing" anything. Most just assume you don't want it and get rid of it. If you say you want it, it's your right. :)

I asked DH last night if he could do the steaming cutting part. After looking at the pictures in that birth story I started getting queezy again. He's not bothered at all by those things so he agreed. But he doesn't want to be crushing them for 2 hours. So that's now my job :)

Ya...but this hospital tends to "forget" you wanted to keep it and tosses it anyway. Happen at both births of one of my friends (before she said screw it and started homebirthing. Lol)

Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.

Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).

Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.

Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.

The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

Merv's Mum I have a few questions if you don't mind. Your friend baked her's at 110. What that F or C? Also she said to take 2 at a time 3 times a day each time with white wine. Is that a whole glass you would need? Or just enough to swallow them down? I read the white wine helps break down the enzymes or something so I can understand that bit. But if you're breast feeding you're not meant to drink alcohol but is it generally not a problem then? Thanks! :flower:

What's the purpose of the lemon grass, pepper, and ginger? Since it's being swallowed in a gelcap, you don't taste it right?

What's the purpose of the lemon grass, pepper, and ginger? Since it's being swallowed in a gelcap, you don't taste it right?

"The ginger, lemon and hot pepper are NOT for taste, but rather are used to aid in the preservation process."

That's what Merv's Mum's friend said in her story. :)

Yes as Jenni said they are not for flavour. I think she only means enough wine to swallow the capsule. Emma BFs (and has been non stop for about 6 years between her 3 girls!) and like most people now (including the 'experts') recognise that a small amount of alcohol a day is perfectly fine when BFing. You cant get rat arsed obviously but with all 3 of mine I'd have a regular glass of red most evenings. Temp wise I dont know!! I cook with gas!! She's in Canada - do they use C or F? I'm not sure. She is up to her eye balls at the moment with a HUGE project that just hit Time Magazine so I'm reluctant to actually ask her at the moment!! I'd say see how it compares to the other recipes you've seen and take a best guess perhaps :shrug:

I got mine encapsulated by my doula - it made a zillion capsules!

Could you please elaborate on this for me? How do you encapsulate a placenta? Do you mean having it put into a bunch of capsules like pills you would take everyday? Sorry I'm so clueless!

UPDATE: I guess if I had just read further down I would have answered my own question. Problem solved. I now know how to "encapsulate" a placenta. :) Thanks anyway! lol

I'm thinking of banking the umbilical cord ........in case the LO ever needs it in future, for medical purposes.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post in here since I'm not pregnant (as far as I know :haha:), But when I give birth in the future, I plan on eating mine!

I heard someone say once that it tastes a little like liver, so I'd probably cook it in the same way I do liver.. With oxtail soup and peas! Yummy Yummy. Can't wait! Haha!

I'll probably bank the umbilical cord as well, in case LO needed it for the future. :thumbup:

KandyKinz: How do you make a placenta print? That sounds like a really great art piece. You have definately sparked my creative mind:)

I am birthing in the hospital and I really would like to plant my placenta but I'm not sure if the hospital policy will allow me to have it. I planted my daughters under a wimpy tree at my previous home and the tree amazingly began to grow wonderfully. My daughter is an amazingly strong and energetic child so perhaps some of her spirit was given via the placenta to the tree.

KandyKinz: How do you make a placenta print? That sounds like a really great art piece. You have definately sparked my creative mind:)

I am birthing in the hospital and I really would like to plant my placenta but I'm not sure if the hospital policy will allow me to have it. I planted my daughters under a wimpy tree at my previous home and the tree amazingly began to grow wonderfully. My daughter is an amazingly strong and energetic child so perhaps some of her spirit was given via the placenta to the tree.

Ring them up?
If not, you could always try and get booked in at another hospital or something :thumbup:

I will definately ask them about it. I guess I would need to bring a cooler and arrange for it to taken to my home the same day as my birth. Maybe if the policy is that I can't have it I could just take it anyway. What are they going to do arrest me? :haha: My OB is really cool so she will hopefully just put it in a bag and give it to us straight away after she examines it.

I wanted to donate mine but my hospital doesn't do anything like that so they just disposed of it

You can most definitely have it!! It's YOURS!!!

Here's a link to my placenta art album on Facebook.

Warning!! OBVIOUSLY contains pictures of my placenta!!

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=161182&id=717353444&l=84a5ad343e

Not sure if I'm allowed to post in here since I'm not pregnant (as far as I know :haha:), But when I give birth in the future, I plan on eating mine!

I heard someone say once that it tastes a little like liver, so I'd probably cook it in the same way I do liver.. With oxtail soup and peas! Yummy Yummy. Can't wait! Haha!

I'll probably bank the umbilical cord as well, in case LO needed it for the future. :thumbup:

YAY! Another eater ;) :p Also, I feel a little stupid, but what do you mean by "banking" the umbilical cord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->