What are you reading to your 5 year old?

choc

Reaction score
I need to get Aidan some new books for Christmas as he is bored of everything we have, which is a lot! We have all the Julia Donaldsons and traditional fairy tales.
What are you Reading at bed time to your boys?

There are nice Usborne stories, Dr. suess books are nice like cat in the hat, The Grinch who stole Christmas.. all Dr suess level 2 & 3 are nice & funny.

Now I read Roald Dahl books for him at bedtime.

I have a daughter but she's also five, we love Dr Seuss and Roald Dahl as well. At the moment we are reading the Magic Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton, anything by her is really good. Also Astrid Lindgren'a books like Pippi Longstocking, Ronja the Robber's Daughter and the Children of the Noisy Village are all great.

Stalking. I'm so sick of reading the same books. DS will be 5 in March. He gets his school reading book which is fine but I thought he might like some chapter books. We got one with a happy meal a few minutes the ago and he has quite enjoyed it. I Want to say it was the secret 7.

Eta: I meant a few months ago. Not minutes. But we also had the Dahl book too.

DS will be 5 in February. I've been reading the original Winnie the Pooh books as a stepping stone to chapter books.

For Christmas I have a couple of Dr Seuss, a book on big machines, national geographic book on Animals (he loves the dinosaur, space an why books he got last year) and the Beatrix potter books (finally saw them at a decent price from book people).

The books McDonalds were doing were Roal Dalf. (sorry spelling hope you know who I mean)

Ive bought meg the roald Dahl box set for Christmas, but I also read her Enid blyton and she still loves Julia Donaldson.

We are reading Terry Pratchet's 'Wee Free Men' at the moment. We finished the 12 'How to train your Dragon' books a while ago - they were a Santa gift last Christmas when DS was 4 1/2. The 'wee free men' is part of a series of 'discworld' books aimed at children and is enjoyable to read as well as listen to (as are the how to train your dragon books).

i have a girl but i read her a chapter of a book each night. curently we are half way through mr stink x

Roald Dahl at the minute.

I can't wait until she's old enough for Harry potter!!!

Sam Lloyd is our daughters favourite, his books are so much fun. Scary Sid is her favourtie.

We are reading Terry Pratchet's 'Wee Free Men' at the moment. We finished the 12 'How to train your Dragon' books a while ago - they were a Santa gift last Christmas when DS was 4 1/2. The 'wee free men' is part of a series of 'discworld' books aimed at children and is enjoyable to read as well as listen to (as are the how to train your dragon books).

Thanks for this. I saw 1-11 of How To Train Your Dragon on Amazon Black Friday today for £20 and snapped them up for Joel, who kinda loves dragons a lot. Hadn't even really thought about attempting chapter books yet!

Loving all of these suggestions, I'm looking for some books for Jacob for Christmas (he'll be five) so definitely checking some of these out :thumbup: so far I've got him revolting rhymes and the illustrated Harry Potter book, so excited to read that!

So far I have read Jacob Roald Dahls the twits, which he loved. he also likes the king of space by Jonny duddle, which is written in more of a comic book style, and he loves encyclopaedias :)

Thanks for this. I saw 1-11 of How To Train Your Dragon on Amazon Black Friday today for £20 and snapped them up for Joel, who kinda loves dragons a lot. Hadn't even really thought about attempting chapter books yet!

What a brilliant price!!! I had bought 4 from book shops before Christmas last year and then the remaining 7 from various amazon shops, I'd have been about £80 in total. Book 12 only came out in September and wasn't in paper back, I'm sure it will be by the time you get through the first 11. Enjoy.

I love chapter books for my Ds. Once we finish one though we normally have a film before bed the next night and then another night or two of reading shorter books that he knows well - after that he's generally keen to get back to the next book in the series or begin a whole new series.

They have the Enid Boynton faraway tree 4book box set in aldi at the moment if anyone was thinking of getting it

As I said in an earlier post I am/was reading my son 'the wee free men' by Terry Pratchet. It was all going well until about half way through when it became a bit to scary for him so we've stopped and will maybe give it another go when he's older.

DD loves Winnie the Witch, the books are available for varied age ranges - the ones we're on are mostly text paperbacks with a few black and white pictures. There's a few short stories in each book.

We're also reading Terry Prachett's World of Poo, and her dad tends to pick out children's graphic novels from independent bookstores/comic shops to read with her.

She still enjoys the 'younger' books too like The Gruffalo etc, especially as she can read some of it herself now, and she loves reading baby books (Hungry Caterpillar, That's Not My etc) to her one year old brother.

DD loves Winnie the Witch, the books are available for varied age ranges - the ones we're on are mostly text paperbacks with a few black and white pictures. There's a few short stories in each book.

We're also reading Terry Prachett's World of Poo, and her dad tends to pick out children's graphic novels from independent bookstores/comic shops to read with her.

She still enjoys the 'younger' books too like The Gruffalo etc, especially as she can read some of it herself now, and she loves reading baby books (Hungry Caterpillar, That's Not My etc) to her one year old brother.

I've not come across 'the world of poo' but I'll look it out now. I have always loved Terry Pratchet and love the idea of my son laughing along with his characters throughout his life - the idea of an author who has made the effort to create a world open to all age groups is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->