what are you wearing for labor/delivery/postnatal?

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
So, I've been seeing a lot of stuff about woman now purchasing 'birthing gowns' for labor and delivery. They are extremely cute, but pretty expensive. Although I have found some within my budget on etsy. I had also considered just modifying a nursing gown with snaps myself, so it was hospital friendly. I wanted to do something like this BC I will have a professional photographer at my labor/delivery/post so aside from the usual 'I don't want to look crap for this idea' I will be having photos done, so its pretty important time for me to at least look the least crappiest possible....what did/are you ladies done/doing for your labor/delivery and what are your thoughts on this....

I purchased a birthing gown for my first delivery. It was cute and pink and the hospital was a-ok with me wearing it. It got so disgusting after the birth it was immediately thrown away and I changed into the ever so comfortable (although not pretty) hospital gown. I felt a little cheated and will not be purchasing one this time around but that was just my experience.

I purchased a birthing gown for my first delivery. It was cute and pink and the hospital was a-ok with me wearing it. It got so disgusting after the birth it was immediately thrown away and I changed into the ever so comfortable (although not pretty) hospital gown. I felt a little cheated and will not be purchasing one this time around but that was just my experience.

Would you of still felt it was a waste if lots of photos had been taking during your labor and delivery? This is mainly what I'm concerned about. I want the photos my doulas/photographer will be taking to be really special. Which I know they will be regardless of what I look like I just feel like it would be nice to look back and think I looked pretty and not frumpy....

I wore the hospital gown last time and probably this time as well.

Once dd was born and I finally got up to shower and change I wore my own night gown which is one of my regular nursing ones with buttons at the front.

I had a change of hospital gown once. I went in for the induction at night and put on a gown. In the morning I took a shower and put on a second one. After that I was finally in active labor and labored for around 6 hrs then changed around 6 hrs after that. Im not planning on getting my own gown though.

There are these hospital gowns called gownies and they're really cute. They're quite similar to my hospital ones but come in different colors and prints, with pillow cases to match. a YouTube guru i watch sometimes wore them for her deliveries and the pics turn out adorable. In her case though she said she chose them because they were going to vlog the births and the gowns her hospital provided didn't cover enough.

I've also seen labor gowns that look like dresses. I think if they survive the labor unscratched there could be a use out of them after. But perhaps not everyone worries like i do lol :)

If it's worth it to you why not, it's your labor experience and you have the right to shape it any way you want. If not then you don't have to shell out the extra money. Chances are your pictures will be memorable regardless of what you wore :)

Last time I took a bikini top with me for the birth, but I never put it on, I laboured and gave birth naked instead!
After delivery I changed into a big, comfy nightshirt.
I went home in the jeans I'd gone in wearing, and a clean jumper.

This time I'm still planning to take the bikini top, but I'm not expecting to wear it! Comfy pajamas for afterwards, and I don't know what for coming home!

I'll probably be wearing a hospital gown until I get too warm or to the pushing stage, then I'll go completely naked to get the full benefits of skin to skin :)

I have a maternity nightie for after the birth which makes it easy to breastfeed

I wore a bikini top last time as I had a water birth. Am hoping for the same this time but will also take an old night shirt. I have some very very cheap new pyjamas for after which just have t shirt tops, easy to pull up for breastfeeding.

I'm still undecided. I'm hoping for a natural birth, and I've heard that putting on that hospital gown makes a big difference in mindset and whether you feel like a patient or just a lady having a baby. But the idea of buying something new just to get it covered in ick seems so wasteful. If you do opt to wear your own gown, make sure you ask what features it needs, like epidural or monitoring access.

I have a maternity tankini top if I want to labor in the tub, and a few comfy nightgowns that seem like they'll work for nursing, that I'm bringing for after I get cleaned up. I definitely don't want to wear a hospital gown for two days, even if I wear one for the actual birth.

Would you of still felt it was a waste if lots of photos had been taking during your labor and delivery? This is mainly what I'm concerned about. I want the photos my doulas/photographer will be taking to be really special. Which I know they will be regardless of what I look like I just feel like it would be nice to look back and think I looked pretty and not frumpy....

I don't think the gown would have made much of a difference. Just my experience though! If you think its something you need to feel good then go for it. Its not like the chance comes around often :)

I packed bikini tops, baggy t shirts etc but ended up just laboring naked, I was so hot. I used the hospital gowns while there, saved on laundry and it didn't bother me at all.

Hospital gown during delivery, afterwards comfy pjs.
My didn't bleed much during delivrry so gown didn't get too messy whereas I know of friends that bled like the exorcist during...

I think I'm gonna wear a nursing bra with a baggy top that just covers my bum for if I want to stand I will prob take the top off at some point for skin to skin if not it will be easy to put baby under.

I wore a normal nightie with DD & remember feeling mortified for a few moments when I felt the mw fold it up over my bum so she could see me push! :haha:

Afterwards dressing gown & comfy PJs (but ones I don't mind being in photos) I'll also pack some nice looking joggers for if I do have to stay more then 1 night.

My personal past experience tell me why bother waiting your own nice clothes .... Seriously they become sipping with waters and gallons of blood, there's no way you will bring that thing home after! Lol so if you do buy the gown, i wouldnt invest in anything too pricey/fancy.... But I'm definitely all about bringing my own cozy pants and shirts for after, yoga & sweat pants, tshirts/hoodies, maybe leggings n a sweater ..... Must bring slippers!! Then toss those bad boys before you leave the hospital lol.... I always buy a new fresh pair to wait for me at home and take my daily ones for the hospital and toss so I don't bring home any nasty germs.... My 1st I didn't think to bring make up or hair supplies , I learned you will have many visitors and pictures and feel sooooo much better, no matter what you are wearing, as long as your hair looks decent and u have a bit of makeup on , you feel great haha:) clearly I'm a hair stylist and believe in bringing mini cans of hair spray !

I didn't even think about wearing my owns stuff for my first. I just wore the hospital gowns, and let them get messy. I didn't even change out of them until it was time to go home! They were loose and comfy, and had easy access for nursing.
This time I brought some comfy PJs for after, but I don't know if I'll do the same as last time, or change in to them to feel more human. I'm definitely NOT taking anything that I'll miss. I plan on tossing most of it, due to blood/bodily fluids, and hospital germs.

im taking 2 nighties with me and a pair of pjs for after. im hoping to keep covered up im not confident being naked around midwives etc xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->