what can i expect with nicu

memysonand3

all done & loven my kids
Reaction score
hi i am pregnant with triplets and i know my babies will be premies because they hardly ever go past 32 weeks i am 22weeks and i just wanted to know because i am really scared and i just want to be prepaired my doctor told me that they are pretty much are going to be in the NICU help please

What would you like to know?

I think I wasn't prepared for so much noise - there are a lot of alarms going off. Sofia also had a lot of wires coming out of her, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Actually, one of my biggest shocks was the kindness of the nurses :)

im not sure i get put in the hospital for bed rest by nov. 1 and so i can have them anytime between 2 weeks from now and the middle of january i was it hard to have to go there instead of the regular nursry how often could you see your baby do they put the babies onva schedual do they encurage breastfeeding

I'm not sure how it works on your side of the pond :D but my NICU certainly encourages breastfeeding. For in-patients (mums on postnatal), visiting is permitted 24/7; for external visitors, hours are 11 to 8.

Can you not arrange to visit the unit and have a wee tour before you are admitted?

I'm not sure how it works on your side of the pond :D but my NICU certainly encourages breastfeeding. For in-patients (mums on postnatal), visiting is permitted 24/7; for external visitors, hours are 11 to 8.

Can you not arrange to visit the unit and have a wee tour before you are admitted?[QUOTE]

I think that's a great idea. Would put your mind at rest if you can see the NICU first I'm sure.

We were the same - breastfeeding was encouraged and we could visit any time but there were no provisions for us to stay overnight, other than a room which you could stay in in the couple of nights before LO comes home.

Good luck xx

i am not permited a tour untill i am admitted to the hospital but i just feel like by then i wont know what to do

i am not permited a tour untill i am admitted to the hospital but i just feel like by then i wont know what to do
That seems a little mean, obviously things work differently over there.

So what would you like to know? It's difficult to advise you as so much can (but won't necessarily) happen in NICU to your babies.

There are good explanations of some of the equipment and treatment for premies on the Bliss website (a UK charity).

Does your hospital have a website? They may have their NICU information there. Maybe ring up the unit and ask for a parent information leaflet. When you're admitted, try to arrange the tour straight away.

As for the way things work in the unit, I think it's one of those areas of care that are very similar in the US as it is here in the UK, so even posts you read from girls here in the UK should be very beneficial.

Every unit I've worked on/visited encourages parents to visit whenever they like, 24/7 (except if other babies are being discussed on ward rounds). Depending on how early your babies are born will depend on how the feeds and cares will be scheduled. Feeds can be from one to four hourly (or continuous) and, ultimately, demand. Cares for sicker babies tend to be done six hourly and then four hourly when they tolerate handling better. The nurse should always be happy to update you as to when babies' last feeds/cares were and when the next are due. Always feel free to ask if you can hold your babies - if the nurse feels they've had too much stimulation recently, they can show you how to do containment holding. A big part of the nurses' jobs is to facilitate family bonding and involve you in your babies' care.

And, yes, they'll promote breastfeeding - I can't imagine a unit in this day and age that wouldn't. I've found that most mums seem to think the neonatal nurses are a lot more helpful, encouraging and consistent with breastfeeding/expressing advice than the midwives on the postnatal wards are (no offence meant to midwives - they're ran off their feet dealing with loads of other things, whereas us NICU nurses can focus on baby-specific things), so feel free to ask their advice (you'll probably find that they're asking you how you wish to feed, how your expressing is going, etc before you get a word out about it!).

Does your hospital have a website? They may have their NICU information there. Maybe ring up the unit and ask for a parent information leaflet. When you're admitted, try to arrange the tour straight away.

As for the way things work in the unit, I think it's one of those areas of care that are very similar in the US as it is here in the UK, so even posts you read from girls here in the UK should be very beneficial.

Every unit I've worked on/visited encourages parents to visit whenever they like, 24/7 (except if other babies are being discussed on ward rounds). Depending on how early your babies are born will depend on how the feeds and cares will be scheduled. Feeds can be from one to four hourly (or continuous) and, ultimately, demand. Cares for sicker babies tend to be done six hourly and then four hourly when they tolerate handling better. The nurse should always be happy to update you as to when babies' last feeds/cares were and when the next are due. Always feel free to ask if you can hold your babies - if the nurse feels they've had too much stimulation recently, they can show you how to do containment holding. A big part of the nurses' jobs is to facilitate family bonding and involve you in your babies' care.

And, yes, they'll promote breastfeeding - I can't imagine a unit in this day and age that wouldn't. I've found that most mums seem to think the neonatal nurses are a lot more helpful, encouraging and consistent with breastfeeding/expressing advice than the midwives on the postnatal wards are (no offence meant to midwives - they're ran off their feet dealing with loads of other things, whereas us NICU nurses can focus on baby-specific things), so feel free to ask their advice (you'll probably find that they're asking you how you wish to feed, how your expressing is going, etc before you get a word out about it!).

thank you so much i am doing this without the father so i think that is another reason that i am more scared so far my babies check out ok they are a pound each and so they can just get bigger right i get admitted november 1 and the reason that they wont give me a tour is because they are afraid that i will go into labor and it will be to early and wont be able to save my babies and i want to do just brestfeeding if they will let me at least i want to try that to start out with and i just i am so scared something will happen and i wont be there for them my doctor said they will be in the nicu for almost 2 months

thank you so much i am doing this without the father so i think that is another reason that i am more scared so far my babies check out ok they are a pound each and so they can just get bigger right i get admitted november 1 and the reason that they wont give me a tour is because they are afraid that i will go into labor and it will be to early and wont be able to save my babies and i want to do just brestfeeding if they will let me at least i want to try that to start out with and i just i am so scared something will happen and i wont be there for them my doctor said they will be in the nicu for almost 2 months

Are they afraid that you might go into spontaneous labour while visiting NICU? :rofl: :rofl:

With regards to breastfeeding, just make sure that the unit know your wishes. Depending on size, your babies may be "fed" by intravenous glucose to start with, as this gives them the best start whilst their digestive system matures. After that, they may be fed by oral or nasal gastric tube because they're still too immature to have the swallow reflex, and this is the point where they start receiving milk - so, if you want them to have breast milk, start expressing as soon as possible after the birth to build up the stock in the freezer! Once they're old enough to have developed the appropriate suck & swallow reflex, they can be tried at the breast .... and this is the stage I am now at with Andrew.

What she said ^^^. And, if you're really wanting to breastfeed, you let the nurses know that. Tell them you don't want your babies to have a bottle. A mum I was speaking to at work this morning was really worried about that. I'd personally throw a fit if a nurse gave my baby a bottle, particularly if I'd already stated what I wanted. Plus, it goes against the Baby Friendly Initiative.

Forgot to add - because the NICU staff know that I am keen to breastfeed and not use bottles, when I'm not there they alternate between cup- and tube-feeding Andrew. That way there's no risk of nipple/teat confusion.

Are they afraid that you might go into spontaneous labour while visiting NICU? :rofl: :rofl:

With regards to breastfeeding, just make sure that the unit know your wishes. Depending on size, your babies may be "fed" by intravenous glucose to start with, as this gives them the best start whilst their digestive system matures. After that, they may be fed by oral or nasal gastric tube because they're still too immature to have the swallow reflex, and this is the point where they start receiving milk - so, if you want them to have breast milk, start expressing as soon as possible after the birth to build up the stock in the freezer! Once they're old enough to have developed the appropriate suck & swallow reflex, they can be tried at the breast .... and this is the stage I am now at with Andrew.

lol actually yea they are afraid that i will go into labour from visiting the nicu due to stress is what i guess but that is why they wont let me visit untill im 24 weeks atleast

The nurses on the children's ward gave Sofia bottles without my permission, even after being expressly told that I was breastfeeding :growlmad: So put a big sign over the cot or something!

thank you see i know i have really health breast milk do to my son and i just dont want in any way for them to not to give it they are my chlidren and i am the person that should be able to decide if they get bottles or not

i know that sound selfish but i dont mean it in a controling sense i just know that i am what is best for them they are already relying on me so i just think that i will still be the best thing for them when they are born

I'd just say that you're very keen on breastfeeding and your child receiving only your breastmilk. Say that you don't give them consent to use bottles, and the only instance you'd want your baby to receive any milk other than your own enterally is if your milk supply was low and then only via NGT/OGT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->