What can your child do at the end of year R?

Cattia

Reaction score
OK, I'm just curious because my friend has her DD at a private school with small classes and her DD has been flagged up by the school as being really behind with her reading and is now getting extra help every day. When we compared, it seems her reading is at the same level as my DD. She is on stage 3 of whatever books they read, I think it's yellow level? When I have been to parents' evening I have always been told she's fine and when I've asked the teacher how she's doing more recently I've always been told that there are no concerns, but then her teacher isn't all that chatty or approachable.

My DD hates writing. When I went into her class the other day I saw all their writing up on the wall. There were a lot of the class whose writing seemed to be far better, but also some who were not as clear. Again, I have asked specifically about her writing and been told she's doing fine.

I am not really interested in comparing her with other children. I believe in letting her go at her own pace. I am not worried about whether she's academic or not, other skills are more important to me. However it has concerned me slightly that my friend's DD's teacher is so concerned and yet both our DDs are at the same level. I don't want to keep asking the teacher every five minutes as I think she already thinks I'm neurotic (which I am). My main concern is that severe dyslexia runs strongly in my DH's side of the family and I would not want her to actually have that or any other processing issues that were not picked up on. Would you think it OK to just wait and see how things are in year 1? Her teacher for next year is really chatty and approachable so I suspect I'll be able to get a bit more feedback.

Ben is only on level 2 at reading, he's not interested at all in anything academic! I'm sure in time he'll get there, so I'm not too worried. Writing wise he is slightly behind his peers too. However he didn't speak until 3, and then it was a long slog so I focused so much on that nothing else got a look in.

I'm sure in another year or 2 he should catch up and hopefully be interested (I get told daily that he hates school as they make him learn!) he just wants to play! I think going into Y1 will be a big shock but it might be what he needs!

Stage 3/yellow is the level they would expect a child to be on at the end of reception so it sounds like she is perfectly on track. It sounds like the other school have much (too?) high expectations of children in reception if they are thinking that the other girl is behind and it may not be the right learning environment for her.

Stage 3/yellow is the level they would expect a child to be on at the end of reception so it sounds like she is perfectly on track. It sounds like the other school have much (too?) high expectations of children in reception if they are thinking that the other girl is behind and it may not be the right learning environment for her.

Thank you :)
I wasn't worried at all until I talked to my friend. I wouldn't be worried if A needed extra help with her reading, especially given the history of dyslexia in the family but I think I was bothered that she might need the extra help but not be getting it. It sounds like she is doing ok though so I will stop worrying and trust that her teacher would spot a problem if there is one. I think they do have very high expectations at my friend's DD's school, partly because the parents expect a of progress I guess. My DD has no idea what level she is on and how she compares with others in her class and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Some private schools where I am are very very pushy. There is one 5 mins walk from my house which is a pre-prep (finishes at age 7) and then children are trying to go on to the top London preps. So at age 4/5 they know that they are racing the clock as almost all the kids will be sitting 7+ exams for the top independents and that, being private, the main thing that prospective fee-paying parents are often looking for are what schools the kids get into after finishing there. that is usually a marker (at least in London) of how "good" the school is, as they don't usually do SATs and often aren't inspected by OFSTED. Your friend's DD is not behind in terms of national expectations, but may be behind where the school want her to be if they are aiming for her to be sitting exams for other private schools in the next few years. Also at what age does the private start? If the school started them with reading books at aged 3 then that might be why others your friend's DD's class are further ahead, they've simply been reading longer than your DD who presumably started at aged 4 in reception.
I don't think your DD is behind. Although I don't know what levels which kids are on in my DD's reception class (state school), there is a tray that they put their books and reading records in when they go into class, and so sometimes you can't help but see the coloured labels on the spines of the pile of books sticking out. I have definitely seen yellow (ORT stage 3), red (stage 2) and pink (stage 1), along with green (stage 5) and orange (stage 6) in the last couple of months. I'm sure all of those would be considered fine for reception. If you look at the reading chest's guide to levels it seems to suggest that 1-3 are usual for reception:
https://www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands
I am sure your DD is doing great!

Yellow band is the expected level so don't worry about that at all.

Thank you all. I guess my they must be pushing them hard at my friend's DD's school. I have never wanted to push my kids but it is good to know that they're not struggling too. You have all put my mind at rest x

I think she's on track. Most children at Omar's school are either in band 2 or 3. Omar is in band 5/6 but only because he started reading at home at the age of 3. It's not a school effort. His friends in PY1 are at the same band as him.

As for handwriting, Omar still struggles a bit, it's not his thing, he draws the letters rather than writing them in a proper way, but again at this age it is not a concern, he is getting better since the beginning of the year.

Jacob is on level 3 (yellow), he's where they'd expect him to be at end of YrF so don't worry :) x

Handwriting wise, my son's really not been that interested in trying to learn but he's getting there. The teacher said boys find the grip harder to master than the girls. Some of his letters are still back to front etc but he's definitely improving which is the main thing!

My son is only on the pink band (not sure which number?) im worries as he is never interested in reading, I dont know how to encourage him without putting him off :/

It's likely that your friends school is pushing them a lot harder as it's a private school. It's not necessarily the schools fault. I have a friend who works in a private school (primary level) and she has parents having a go at her if they don't get homework every day and if the teachers aren't pushing them.

With the dyslexia-I was under the impression that they can't definitly tell it's dyslexia until around 7 or 8 years. We have concerns with our son and depending on his progress during this school year they may well be testing him.

Iro where Esthet is at-she isn't banded book wise-she brings home whichever book she likes the look of. Up until the last month we've read the book to her and she's been able to point out some letters.
Currently she can recognise about 10-15 words. She recognises most single letters but hasn't got a clue about sounds like 'ee' 'oo' 'ie' etc.
Writing wise she can just about write her name and that's it.
Maths-she can count to about 15 and she can shape sort and do some patterns.

She is hugely behind-so far that at the moment there isn't any point in doing extra teaching. The jump up to y1 is going to be interesting. She does love school though.

Rach a, your dd sounds like my ds. I too am worried about yr1!.... The teacher isnt though.
He just point blank refuses to read at home :/

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! I do think the school where my friend's DD goes is pushing them quite a lot, most of them are on level 5 already by all accounts.

Rach, I think you are right, it would be too early to tell about dyslexia yet. She does reverse letters and have trouble recognising some of them, but then I think so do a lot of them at this age. She also has trouble focusing and gets called Dolly Daydream at school! I know that could be linked to a learning issue like dyslexia or ADD but it could also be just her personality. I think only time will tell, but I do think year 1 is going to be a bit of a shock to the system for her. Still, it seems she is holding her own for now.

Also, my sons eeasing has improved (marginally) since he started wearing glasses just after xmas... Poor kid couldn't see before the. :/

Cattia-the jump to y1 might not be a big as you think. At our school they do lessons in the am but pretty much play all pm still. It was only when they went Into y3 it changed a lot.

My ds is on red band books (but they are so easy for him for some reason teachers seem really slow at moving them up a level which is a shame as he loves reading) As for writing its awful! It has never interested him at all, before starting he could write his name but thats all, his school do cursive writing which means that now even his name is unrecognisable! The cursive really put him off even more which is a shame, coupled with being left handed think he will always struggle. Have already been told that he will prob start yr1 without completing the early learning goal but did tell the teacher how much it didn't matter to me anyway.
Personally don't like school, much prefer european stance on not starting formal learning till 7 but nothing i can do about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->