What clubs do your LOs go to?

mum2bee

mother of 1
Reaction score
Hannah is in full time nursry and they go to yoga,gym and swimming, as she will be starting school in Sep just wondeing what to do with her, i take her swimming lessons and ballet but want at least another 2 things for her to do, any ideas?

I'm curious why you're wanting her in two more activities, she already seems very very busy as it is?

When my kids were younger and I stayed home with them I chose two activities to keep them socializing (my son did hockey, daughter did dance and they were both in swim lessons). Now that they're older we have to juggle activities between homework and music lessons so they only do one (daughter is still dedicated to dance and son is in wrestling, soccer or baseball depending on the season). I try really not to overschedule them because studies have shown that can cause kids a great deal of anxiety.

My 9 and 10 year old are in swim club. My 10 year olds swims 3x a week and my 9 year old swims 2x a week...and that will increase with age. My 9 year old also gets skating lessons 1x a week. My 9 and 10 year old get tutoring on the weekends.

My 3 year old has swim lessons (too young for swim club yet) and that is 2x a week. She also does ballet and tap on Saturdays.

I think you should start out with a couple, and wait and see. Often as they get older, they have more sessions, plus school homework. If you have them in too much, they feel left out in school activities or playdates. I wouldn't do more than two weeknights either....try to keep to weekends. My kids get very tired and it affects their school.

DS just goes horse riding and piano lessons. Is it not possible to carry the gym over also if you want another activity? Have you asked her what she wants to do out of the lot?

My DD (8) and DS (6) take part in after school clubs WITHIN the school, if you know what I mean.

So DD does 1 hour of band practice a week after school, and DS does 1 hour of multiskills (which is kind of like gym/P.E.) after school.
But the band is only running until mid-april, and the multi skills is just a 4 week thing.

So they aren't long-running permanent things, they're for a few weeks, and then something else comes along.

DD, DS1, and DS2 (4) have half an hour of swimming lessons a week.

I'm reluctant to put them in for any more lessons than that - firstly because of cost, but secondly because I do think they need a bit of free time at home. They visit their nana twice a week after school too so I think that's enough really.
The only thing is that I'm sort of toying with the idea of them learning piano but I'll probably teach them myself.

AJ is 5, he goes to after school club one night a week and he has a 30minute swimming lesson on a Saturday.
Tbh, it's more than enough. With those activities, reading, homework and spending quality time together he's shattered!

Daniel does Beavers in a Monday, swimming lesson in Wed, Tennis on Thurs and a church club on a Fri. He just about copes with those activities along with his homework. Ideally I'd like to pull him out of 1 but can't decide which one at the moment so I'm leaving him be.

Lucas has a busy schedule but it works for us

Monday he does roller hockey
Tuesday Free skating
Wednesday Karate
Thursday and Sunday Ice hockey

He is free on a Fri and Sat though at least on Sat a month we are travelling to one of his ice hockey matches :wacko:

Omar goes to school full time. He goes to swimming class on Mondays(at school), Abacus class for 2 hrs on Saturday, & piano class on Tuesday.

During the summer holiday we're planning to enrol him in Arts & Crafts class, & we will continue when school starts, if the school will offer karate classes for his age next year, he will go to those in addition to the classes he already goes to.

Dec is in primary 2 and the only thing he does at the moment is Judo on a Wednesday evening, we go swimming on a Saturday but thats just for fun :)

Amelia goes to whichever after school clubs she decides she wants to take part in and she has also just started Rainbows on a Monday night, she loves it

Ben doesn't go to any clubs. If when he starts school he decides he wants to go to any then he can.
Ben isn't really an organised activity sort of boy. Plus the only times he could go are at the weekend and I selfishly want him home with me!

Aimee does choir on a thursday lunchtime and creative club after school on mondays(3.15-4.30).
She now wants to join a dance class on a friday with her friend,outside of school.

Nathan prefers to come home,get his homework done and go on the computer with his mates.He did do football in primary school but now it is on quite late and he doesnt want to stay back.

my son does after school dance class (which almost all the school children do so its just really an extra hour of PE on monday)

we keep meaning to sign him up to swimming but never get round to it *oops*
(I cant teach him because I cant swim)

my niece and nephew do activities everyday from when they finish school til bed... personally I find it odd to do that much but they do both enjoy it (which is most important) and are very talented (they have top honers in all 3 activities)

My DD is not in any clubs.
She starts school in September and maybe the year after (when she's 5) then i'll put her in Rainbows if she wants to go.
I don't feel the need to fill her time with clubs, she will be tired starting school full time and we can fill time at the park and spending it at home playing or with friends.

DS goes to whichever club he chooses. The school clubs change termly. This term he hasn't chosen anything. Last term he did cookery, multi-skills (think circuits) and craft club. All clubs are 3:30-4:30.

My 3 year old just does ballet, though we are looking at starting her with swimming and we may look at gymnastics too, but after she starts primary school and we see how tired she is/ whether she is getting enough "down time".

When she goes to primary school she will probably add more in, but in reception year not much I would think. The school we are hoping she will get a place at has tons of lunchtime and afterschool activities including lots of different sports, music groups, art, drama, extra languages, chess etc, but a lot of these are not open to the infant classes, I think just football, tennis and "gardening club" for reception year. We will let her choose which of these she wants to do.

At the moment Charlie does swimming lessons on a Thursday and dance class on a Saturday. He'll be starting gymnastics soon as well and when he starts school he'll go to a local youth club where they do art, games and singing. If he wants to join more clubs when he's older then that'll be fine, I'll wait and see what he shows an interest in.

At the moment DD1 7 years old does piano lesson on a tues and gymnastics on a wed, really want to get her into swimming lessons though, and she's shown interest in joining a French lesson club but I'm waiting to see how many times she mentions it first before enrolling her as some things are just fads

At the moment Earl does pre-school 2 mornings a week and gymnastics 1x a week. We go skating/swimming/softplay as a family.

Once he starts school and is settled into his routine I'm hoping he'll want to join beavers (want all 3 of them to go this route if I'm honest) and then when he's ready we'll start him with music lessons once a week. This will be in addition to his sport activity (at the moment gymnastics).

Because I'll have 3 boys I'm hoping they'll all be similarly interested in groups etc. I would like them to do 1 sport, 1 music and 1 social activity but if I'll have to curb it if I end up with 9 different activities!? :wacko:

I don't think kids need/want something every day/night of the week. They get given quite a lot of homework from early on, plus they need time to take in all that they have learned as well as have 'experiences' as a family. Reading a story and talking about their day over dinner is just as important as extra-curricular activities in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->