what day from a pos OPK is 1dpo?

CandyApple19

Pregnant with #3, PAL.
Reaction score
:dohh: i got my surge today well.. technically lastnight and caught the back end of it today! so what day do i count as 1 dpo? xxxxxx

From what I understand, you get your LH surge 24-36 hours before ovulation. It's the surge that causes the egg to be released.

i thought you counted from the first strong positive line if using the opk test strips im waiting for mine got a faint line but not that strong, i may be wrong only on second month ttc so correct me if im wrong! x

You can O anytime from 12-36 hours after your positive opk.

Here is what I found on the American Pregnancy Associations website.

From the Menstrual Period to Ovulation (the details you may not know!)

When your menstrual cycle begins, your estrogen levels are low. Your hypothalamus (which is in charge of maintaining your hormone levels) sends out a message to your pituitary gland which then sends out the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This FSH triggers a few of your follicles to develop into mature eggs. One of these will develop into the dominant follicle, which will release a mature egg and the others will disintegrate. As the follicles mature they send out another hormone, estrogen. The high levels of estrogen will tell the hypothalamus and pituitary gland that there is a mature egg.

A luteinizing hormone (LH) is then released, referred to as your LH surge. The LH surge causes the egg to burst through the ovary wall within 24-36 hours and begin its journey down the fallopian tube for fertilization. The follicle from which the egg was released is called the corpus luteum, and it will release progesterone that helps thicken and prepare the uterine lining for implantation. The corpus luteum will produce progesterone for about 12-16 days (the luteal phase of your cycle.) If an egg is fertilized, the corpus luteum will continue to produce progesterone for a developing pregnancy until the placenta takes over. You can begin looking for pregnancy symptoms as early as a week after fertilization. If fertilization does not occur the egg dissolves after 24 hours.

Depends on when you ovulate, so if you have any signs of the ovulation, then from there you count 1 day past ovulation, 2 days past ovulation, and so on. The problem with basing it on the OPK is that (1) you may ovulate up to 36 hours after an LH surge and (2) you are not likely to catch the exact peak of the surge on your OPK. So there is a certain level of guessing.

I know based on the pattern of symptoms from the increasing estrogen and progesterone approximately what DPO I am. I rely more on the ovulation pains than the OPK to start the counting.

Hmmm i think you take the first day of your positive opk as Ov day. 'Cause sometimes your OPK can show up positive for 2 - 3 days in a row.

I had mine show up for 3 days with the tests, i didn't want the stress are charting temps so i've just been using them i agree with the symptoms too i had stomach pains when i got positive tests thanks for the info guys x

I've noticed on women's charts at fertility friend that some will get their first positive OPK, and then their temp rises the next day - so clearly they ovulated within 12 hours of the first positive (same day as their positive test).

For me, the 2 cycles I got positives, I got the first positive at 11am. My temp rose 3 days later so I ovulated on the late end.

It really can vary from woman to woman. If you check your CM at all, you may be able to pinpoint it a little better there.
To keep your sanity though, I'd assume you ovulated on the late side, keep having sex until 3 days after the first positive and count that 3rd day as 1dpo. That way you don't think you are late before you really are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->