What do they do at midwife appointments?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I'm a bit freaked out, I was reading a book and it said they'll do at internal exam at the beginning then frequently towards the end. Obviously I know it needs to be done but the idea freaks me out a bit.

Also, what else do they do? I saw one at 8 weeks and they just filled in paperwork, did a blood test, urine test and took my blood pressure. I've got another one tomorrow (I'm 15 weeks now)

Just wondered if anyone knows what they'll do tomorrow, then at later ones?

Thanks x

Well TBH hun ive never with any of mine had a internal exam except when im in labour to see if its time to push or not.

Every time ive seen them its always bloods or listen to bumps heart beat...blood pressure, feel the bump and discuss anything that needs talking about (like birth plans etc) xxxx

I never had internals. The only time they went down below was to do a sweep which i asked for.....didn't work as it happened.

I wouldn't worry i dont think they are the norm.

I've never had one. If your mw says she wants to do one but you don't want it, then say so - its your body and your choice. I don't think its done routinely during pregnancy, obviously the only time they would need to is to check your dilation during labour. Don't feel pressured into anything.

The book you're reading must be years old....they never do internals now unless completely necessary (if they think you're in labour, need to be assessed) as it can introduce infection. If you're pre-term a midwife isn't allowed to do an internal either....it must be a Dr.

I've not had one either. I was like you thinking I was going to have one at the early appointments but they wouldn't even give me the smear test I was due for.

Think it's because of the risk of infection maybe?

Enjoy your appointments and don't worry xxx

They dont bother with internals these days, dont fret.
14 years ago when I was having DD I damn near had one every appointment, yet 3 years later I only had one and that was when I was in labour.

Blah, awful things, got sick of feeling like a sock puppet.

MW normally did it, which was bad enough, but on two occasions it was performed by a very fresh faced young male doc which was frankly embarrasing for me.
I waited till he had his hand up there, poking away and said "You know we MUST stop meeting like this".
God did he look flustered..haha

They dont bother with internals these days, dont fret.
14 years ago when I was having DD I damn near had one every appointment, yet 3 years later I only had one and that was when I was in labour.

Blah, awful things, got sick of feeling like a sock puppet.

MW normally did it, which was bad enough, but on two occasions it was performed by a very fresh faced young male doc which was frankly embarrasing for me.
I waited till he had his hand up there, poking away and said "You know we MUST stop meeting like this".
God did he look flustered..haha

:happydance:

I've always heard that MWs don't like to interfere unless nessecary down there. You'll get 16 week bloods done probably at your next appointment. Theyre different the further along you get and you get measured.

They don't do that here in the UK. No idea if its common in america though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->