What do you count as a "movement"?

L

LilMiss_91

This might sound like a really silly question, but what do you call a movement? Is it only kicks, pokes and nudges or is it smaller, slower movements like baby changing position or pushing their bum out?

I only ask because I had a midwife appt today and I mentioned that I don't feel as many kicks as I did and it's more little rolls and him pushing his bum out now. She asked if I feel around 10 in 12hrs and I said yes, but now I'm not sure if she meant rolls or kicks! He moves slightly and gives little nudges that many times I think but as for kicks and stronger movements I only get a handful in a full day. Not quite sure if I should be concerned.

I'm measuring spot on and his heartbeat was fine. Just wondered what you ladies thought?

I was told anything but hiccups and to expect 10 in an hour, not 12 hours x

Wow, really? I might monitor it over the next 2 or 3 days. I don't think I get that many movements in just an hour :/ x

I count any movement that i dont have to prompt as a movement.

Hiccups do not count.

I dont count though as knowing your babies patterns imo are more important

Bubs doesn't seem to have much of a pattern, he never has. He used to be more active at bedtime, then it was evening and then morning but for the last couple of weeks it's been more here and there x

I don't have it every hour as baby seems to sleep for longer periods then that. Just need to work out babies "active" time and do it then x

It's odd how there doesn't seem to be a standard method? How can it be reliable if everyone's measuring different things?? o_O

I was wondering this too. I had been 'counting' actual kicks or pokes but realise now that all movement counts. I think it is recommended to pick a couple of hours a day (babies most active periods) lay down and count the movements. Now i may be totally wrong but thats what i try to do, usually first thing in the morning and then again in the evening. My work keeps me pretty busy so would be near enough impossible to take an hour out to count kicks!

Mw told me yesterday any movement - even small rolls count

My MW today could feel baby move away from the Doppler herself and asked if I was feeling movement every day and that was it.

I know baby's routine by now though so I'd get checked out If I noticed anything outside of this.

Like a PP says, it's not helpful though when everyone seems to get different advice

Perhaps the MW meant 10 movements in an hour every 12 hours? My understanding was that you checked for 10 movements in an hour twice a day. I don't actually have to count, though, as bump is frequently on the move.

I was told yesterday by MW that i should feel 10 movements in 12 hrs. x

Thanks for all the replies ladies :) it's cleared it up a bit for me now. I'm going to take a couple of hours out tomorrow and count kicks/movements just for a couple of days to reassure myself. I'll stick with the 10 in an hour as that seems to be the main consensus of opinion lol :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->