What do you do for a job? :)

Laura27

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does as a career / job? Will you go back to work after baby or be a SAHM? Do you enjoy your career? :coffee:

I'm an attendance and welfare officer at my local secondary school (and the one I attended)!

I love my job. I started when my youngest was only 7 months. It was an offer I couldn't refuse although it came earlier than I'd hoped.

I work 8-3 Monday to Friday but term time only so I get all school holidays off which will be perfect when the kids are in school.

If we're lucky enough to be blessed with baby number 3 then I will take a year off and then return to my job. By then my eldest will have started school (she starts in September) and my youngest and the baby will go to nursery 2 days a week (like they do currently), mil will continue to watch them 2 days a week and oh will carry on working from home one day a week to look after them.

Being a SAHM just has never really been my cup of tea. I love the time I get with my girls during the holidays but I'm happy to have my career.

X

Just wondering what everyone does as a career / job? Will you go back to work after baby or be a SAHM? Do you enjoy your career? :coffee:

I'm bored this morning so I'll bite...

I'm an Office Manager/Admin for an online Entertainment company. My job is okay, I've been at my company almost 7 years and work with some pretty cool people. My commute SUCKS, but that's my fault because I moved back to my home town after I got this gig. The main perk is that it's greatly family oriented and I am able to be pretty flexible. I think it's actually listed as one of the top companies for parenting. I definetly think being an Office Manager is what I'm supposed to do (that is if I have to be at a desk, dream job would be totally different but it ain't gonna happen!! Haha).

After baby I would love to be a SAHM. But that depends on where the OH is in the job market. He's currently looking for something with more pay. It also depends on how low we can get our mortgage. If I was able to be a SAHM I think after a few months I would get a part time job. I would go stir crazy not doing any kind of work outside the house after a while.

I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist. I perform all kinds of testing for patients (including fertility test in such as semen analysis, Day 21 hormones, HCG,etc.) I love my career because I know that what I do makes a difference in the health of others. If I don't do my job right I could cause someone unnecessary stress and possibly pain (I also test blood for blood transfusions). Because of my job TTC is much more stressful because I know so much about the testing/results and I'm able to do some of my own testing so I tend to over analyze everything....
We currently cannot afford for me to be a SAHM...although if I had the choice I would still probably work part time.

Not going to share what I do, because... Privacy lol!

But if we have kids, we've discussed me being a SAHM as the reality is me continuing to work would be more difficult strategically and I can be out the house long hours, and we are fortunate to be in a good position where my wage isn't needed to survive.

Granted we'd need to make sacrifices, and ideally I'd want to work again when baby was in full time education. Not quite worked out the details, we just want to get pregnant first then work out the finer stuff........

I am a care worker at the moment and we are trying to save money so I can take as long off work as we can afford when we eventually have a little one.
Ideally I would love to a SAHM for a couple of years but realistically unless my OH gets a decent pay raise it is not going to be possible, we are going to struggle on the rubbish rates on maternity pay my work offers if I am completely honest.
So the realistic plan is we are hoping to move back to where my family live in October (regardless of whether we are pregnant or not) and my mother and grandmother (she is a young gran) both don't work so I think I would have each of them look after LO for a day a week each so I could work at least 2 days a week and bring in at least the amount I was 'earning' on maternity pay.
I am researching ways to earn money in 'from home' jobs to maybe do instead but I am not finding much that would be worth the time yet. Although I used to tutor 10/11 year olds for their 11+ exams so I would definitely try and build up a client base for that again because I bring in £20-30 an hour doing that. Every little helps and all that.

I am a stay at home mom for 7 years now. I have had 2 jobs during this time but with 2 of my 3 kids not in school, it's just cheaper if I stay home. (Child care expenses) I am also a full time college student. Online and on campus. I should be graduating in 2016 and by then all of my born children will be in school. If we are blessed with another baby, hubby will be switching shifts so he can be with the baby while I'm working and vice versa.

I teach 4/5 year olds. It's exhausting. I did return to work (a 4 day week rather than 5) after number 1. It is still extremely exhausting and I am now expecting number two (who was planned too) some days I just wish my job was a little easier going. I'd love to have less worries linked to work.

When I was off on Maternity leave, even through sleepless nights etc, it was ALWAYS easier than being at work! I know SAHMs work very hard, but to me, it was easier than being in my job.

I will have to go back to work after this baby too. I'd love to be a SAHM but finances wont be anywhere near appropriate to do that. Sadly me working is very much needed!!

I'm an MA Graphic Design student and Freelance Graphic Designer... Not really TTCing yet, will be starting NTNP next week... Thankfully I can do work from home as a freelancer! Looking to get a solid job in a studio once I graduate from my Masters though even if I end up pregnant soon after!

I'm a primary school teacher. I teach 9 and 10 year olds. It is a full on, busy and often thankless job but I am so privileged to spend my days with truly amazing children who have a lot to give! I would miss them first and foremost. When I think about going on maternity leave I worry about letting them down by not being there. I guess I do have to think about my children however... I would love to be a SAHM full time. We could make it work I am sure, I would have to make sacrifices in terms of the gourmet food I often buy or online shopping but I could do that.

I would teach on a part time basis, but not as a classroom teacher for the first few years I don't think. I was considering myself career orientated initially but I've changed my perspective and I want to be with my babies... Hopefully there are lots!

I do know friends who would stay home for a while and then go back and I honestly think no matter what you do, if it works for you and baby and family, more power to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->