What do you think of this name? Can you get a guy's opinion too lol?!

freddie

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Our boy is still nameless after almost 2 weeks! We did have it narrowed down to two names but now we have a new name (well one we've gone back to) in the mix...

I love the name Leo - what are your thoughts? Can anyone give me a man's opinion? DH says it's a "gay" name - he's so eloquent! But he likes it better than other suggestions... So I'd like to know what other men think as obviously one day this little squish will be a full grown man!!

:wacko:

My OH (who also isn't great with words but wanted to give more of a reason than 'it's gay' lol) said he said there's nothing wrong with the actual name but he wouldn't choose it because he sees as a 'track suit name' and reminds him of others like Mercedes and Chardonnay. I think he means that he thinks it's a bit chavvy. I don't really like it myself.

Just asked my hubby for you! He says Leo is a nice name and I think that's because he had a friend called Leo who was a nice guy. Actually, I'm not as keen on the name but he is!

I'm not keen on it but I can't say why! My husband agrees with noodlebear's OH though - he thinks it's an alright name but he wouldn't use it because of the "chavvy" associations.

I quite like it as a child name, my husband really likes it, so much so that he named our dog Leo! :)

OH says 'it's fine, not gay just okay.'

I like it personally but then again I am a Charmed fan :dohh:

I don't mind it, it's my sisters cats name though so all I can think of is that x

OH wrinkled his nose and said "It's alright - I can see where he's coming from"

He vetoed Toby (which I love) for the same reason!

xx

I asked dh what he thought of the name. he shook his head and said no. it doesn't sound like a responsible adult name. :shrug:

but I like Leonard. you can use Leo as a nn. then he can choose when he's older.

I quite like it. DH likes it. I know a couple of little Leo's and I work with an agent named Leo (short for Leonard but he doesn't go by that). Where I am it is quite a middle class name, not generally considered chavvy.

I like Leo much more than Arthur and still think Ellis is ok (from last post). So my vote would be
1. Leo 2. Ellis
Good luck. Keep us posted!

It's the name my husband and I love and plan on using if we get pregant so of course I love it. Also, my brother and his wife just announced their pregnancy and said they will use that name if its a boy (sad face over here) So you can add 4 more on your list of people that like it!

Thank you for all your input and for the men's views too!! I too see it as a more sophisticated name, not at all chavvy - I guess that's down to area! Bit of a mixed response but I'm glad to hear that some daddies like it too!

1) The name is okay. Not for me but it's fine.

2) If my OH, as a father, said anything was 'gay', from name to a hobby to a piece of clothing, especially in relation to a child, he would be in serious trouble. Little ones pick up on stupid adult stereotypes even if they mean nothing. Even if he didn't even mean 'gay' as in gay. Your LOs will pick up on it and it's not okay for them to grow up thinking it's not alright to be gay or do 'gay' things.

2) If my OH, as a father, said anything was 'gay', from name to a hobby to a piece of clothing, especially in relation to a child, he would be in serious trouble. Little ones pick up on stupid adult stereotypes even if they mean nothing. Even if he didn't even mean 'gay' as in gay. Your LOs will pick up on it and it's not okay for them to grow up thinking it's not alright to be gay or do 'gay' things.

OP, I like the name! In Canada, it's not really considered a "chavvy" name, if I'm understanding the meaning of the term. I have taught a few Leos in my class, and they have always been lovely kids, so I think that gives me a bit of a positive bias for the name!

Emy, I would also be irate with my DH if he used the term 'gay' in a derogatory manner, especially around impressionable LOs. BUT the OP asked for opinions on the baby's name, not on her husband's choice of words! She even said it wasn't the most eloquent way of putting it! Also, there's no telling if her husband would continue to use the term negatively in front of LO as he becomes more aware of words. But mostly, it's not YOUR husband, and it's not your job to try to "teach", shame, or judge him so self righteously. I think that's hurtful in its own way. Not trying to ruffle your feathers, but just pointing out that you strayed from OPs question to give her an unprompted "life lesson"...

OP, I like the name! In Canada, it's not really considered a "chavvy" name, if I'm understanding the meaning of the term. I have taught a few Leos in my class, and they have always been lovely kids, so I think that gives me a bit of a positive bias for the name!

Emy, I would also be irate with my DH if he used the term 'gay' in a derogatory manner, especially around impressionable LOs. BUT the OP asked for opinions on the baby's name, not on her husband's choice of words! She even said it wasn't the most eloquent way of putting it! Also, there's no telling if her husband would continue to use the term negatively in front of LO as he becomes more aware of words. But mostly, it's not YOUR husband, and it's not your job to try to "teach", shame, or judge him so self righteously. I think that's hurtful in its own way. Not trying to ruffle your feathers, but just pointing out that you strayed from OPs question to give her an unprompted "life lesson"...

It wasn't meant to be upsetting or insulting, and no it wasn't the question but it was a big part of the point of the question and I'm sorry if you feel it is inappropriate but it genuinely upsets me to see this, especially the language used around/about children. It's like (to me) if there was a racist comment in a question, people would comment. I find it really upsetting to see this, especially as the mummy of a little boy who is, because of his gender, continually subject to the idea that such and such is going to 'make him gay'. It makes me sick.

If she had said my OH thinks such and such a name sounds like a paki name there would have been uproar. It is the same thing. And yes 'gay' is used to mean stupid as well as homosexual but that doesn't make it okay. 'Paki' can be used by stupid people to mean anyone from west and mid Asia, without any hatred behind the term, but it sure doesn't make it okay.

It's a sensitive subject, and I can tell you feel strongly about it. And I'm not saying you don't have a valid point in there. It just seemed a little off topic, and I know that sometimes my DH can say something carelessly. I don't think the OP meant any offence by recounting what her DH said, but I also see how you can find offence in it.

Anyway, I think we've hijacked a thread about the name for a baby boy and made it about political correctness now, so I'm just going to keep my opinion to myself. I usually don't feel inclined to voice my opinion about sensitive issues like this, but my hormones must have got the better of me today :) Truce?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->