What do you think of....

My only concern would be that a vasectomy would encourage him to be lazy about having unprotected sex and it would increase the risk of him getting and potentially passing on STDs, but that's a whole different topic.

this was my first thought too.

I agree with what others have said, its personal choice. However if in a few years time he's wanting to settle down with someone, he's maybe going to find it a little bit more difficult finding a partner who has the same outlook.

my dh is sort one of them people he doesnt really want kids he really isnt bothered at all about having kids but is only going to because he knows how importent it is for me but he really couldnt care less which i really cant understand

I never wanted children and OH never wanted children either. We fell pregnant with DS and once the idea grew on us we were over the moon. Now, I couldnt imagine life without him and have another on the way very soon!

I do look at people slightly strange if they say they do not want children because I think 'Wow, you will never know how the most powerful love in the world feels!' And cant actually believe that for so many years I was adamant I didnt want children myself!

But, to each their own, he must have rather strong opinions and feelings on it if he had had a vasectomy so young. I dont think it is a bad thing though!

I am also surprised that he was able to obtain a vasectomy at such a young age. I would also speculate that he may have some other health issues going on.
But if that is not the case, my only thought is that early 20s is very young to be making lifelong fertility choices if there are no other health issues involved. Not trying to be patronizing, just trying to offer perspective from someone in her late 30s! I found my 20s to be such a time of change - I was such a different person from age 20 to age 29 - that I am very glad that I didn't make any huge, irreversible decisions about my future choices in there.
On the other hand - your body, your life, I guess. Just be really, really sure that this is what you want when it comes to something like fertility.

to be honest I've stopped believing people when they tell me they never want children lol I just nod my head and say "cool"

I've known people that have actually criticized me for TTC and been like "why on earth would you bring a baby into this world" etc...and now have 2 kids in the time I've been TTC LOL I have a friend giving birth next month who's been saying how much she never wants children! And another is TTC even tho for the past 5 years all I've heard from her is that she hates children...so no. It goes in one ear and out the other and I don't even bother talking to people about it anymore!

I think that a lot of the women that say they don't want kids just use it as a defense mechanism because it's actually their OHs that don't want them!

I used to think that people were mature for recognizing that they don't want the responsibility of a child...but now I think they're just full of bull and wait for them to pop one out :haha:

My Mum's partner got a vasectomy in his early 20's, he's 50ish now and has no regrets. I suppose it helps that through my Mum, he has grandchildren (my two boys call him Pappi Jeff). He's been married 3 times *I think* and still stands by his decision, and is very happy with his life.

I should add, the marriages took place early on in his life, he's been with Mum for a while now and they're deliriously happy still, hence why we've let the boys grow attached to him. I realised I made him sound quite fickle by mentioning the marriages, I think *just opinion, don't know for sure* that he had a lot of fun in his 20s/30s and was only really ready to settle down when he met my Mum. His decision not to have kids was made early, but he knew he didn't want that kind of restriction and that's just who he is! He adores my two, really does rock the Granddad look :haha: but I think that's about all he ever wanted RE kids, an emotional attachment, the good parts, the family holidays, but with the chance to return them after a while :haha:

I worked for a urology clinic and we wouldn't give vasectomy to anyone under the age of 30 without children. I find it hard to believe a place would give him one.

Vasectomy reversals actually have high success rates if you reverse within 15 years. I think it's almost close to 80% at 14 years. DH got a vasectomy after he thought he was losing me and Liam. But I'm talking him into the idea of a reversal in the next three years if certain things happen lol.

But, it's his choice however early. I'd rather a person not be a parent if they didn't want to be. But it is a blessing to love your child!

To each, their own. People change but I never wanted children. It's not like I didn't like kids, I'd get broody from time to time, but even at a young age I was looking forward to being an auntie but never a parent, it just wasn't a consideration. As things go I got pregnant by surprise and couldn't be happier now, but it was as much in my plans for life as flying to the moon.
I'd have been happy never becoming a mum too - a different kind of happy maybe but still happy and fulfilled.
It's a very.. different view I guess but I find actually trying to conceive as confusing a concept as most people find those never wanting children. I did before I became a parent and I do now I am one.

I'd rather those that do not want children, for whatever reason, do not HAVE children, than them have children, accidentally or not, that are unwanted and treated as such.

Part of me thinks it's his body and his choice BUT I know of several men who have settled down and had families later or second families including OH's dad who had now 8 year old twins when he was 46 with a new partner. I feel like you just never know how life will pan out and your future plans at, say, 25 may not be what you want in 10+ years time. For that reason i'd be wary of making a permanent decision about something as big as fertility too early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->