What do you think of...

I'm not keen because I speak portuguese and in portuguese it means "sink", spelled exactly the same way pia. But if you dont plan on being around portuguese-speaking people its not a big deal.

I knew a Pia and as far as I know she didnt get teased, but I can see the potential for it.

I don't care for it.
Maybe Kia or Tia.
Dh thinks I have something against the letter P

Think there is a lot of room for bullying related to the syllable pee which is the main chuck of the name

I like Tia as suggested above

I like the sound of it but unfortunately it does sound very like "pee-er". How about Pippa, Pippin, or Pippi? I think Quinn and Pippa sound lovely together :)

It's been vetoed as OH instantly pronounced it Pie-a!

I like Piper but OH doesn't. Pippa is nice but common.

Opinions on Delta? (OHs suggestion)

I like Delta but not Pia. I wouldn't let teasing potential be a factor in a name choice because I have worked in elementary schools for a long time and have seen kids with unusual names never get picked on while kids with perfectly 'normal' names will. Bullying is complicated and I think if a kid is going to be targeted they will be regardless of what name they have. In fact, some of the kids with the most 'out there' names can be quite popular (esp when older) as their differences are seen as interesting or hip or whatever when not 'targeted'.

Everyone thinks the name we picked out (Valldis Pegg) will get our new DD picked on but I think they are wrong, my family is just not very worldly so in retaliation I pick on them for being stupid 'mericans :haha:

Yes, I just said that. ;)

I like Delta but not Pia. I wouldn't let teasing potential be a factor in a name choice because I have worked in elementary schools for a long time and have seen kids with unusual names never get picked on while kids with perfectly 'normal' names will. Bullying is complicated and I think if a kid is going to be targeted they will be regardless of what name they have. In fact, some of the kids with the most 'out there' names can be quite popular (esp when older) as their differences are seen as interesting or hip or whatever when not 'targeted'.

Funny you say that - I have a pretty normal name that I didn't like as a kid and got stupid nicknames made up around it. And I want my children to become interesting, different, 'individual' people therefore I think a unique name would help.(alongside not being one of many t school with the same name!)
I said to OH last night that you don't hear of famous, interesting or amazing people called Jane or Sarah, whereas Quinn, Dahlia or Lux maybe!

Funny you say that - I have a pretty normal name that I didn't like as a kid and got stupid nicknames made up around it. And I want my children to become interesting, different, 'individual' people therefore I think a unique name would help.(alongside not being one of many t school with the same name!)
I said to OH last night that you don't hear of famous, interesting or amazing people called Jane or Sarah, whereas Quinn, Dahlia or Lux maybe!

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly, so I retract my earlier comment re. Pia!

My name is Helen, normal/boring and yet was called "Helen melon" :haha: hardly original or insulting but annoying enough to have sung at you lol. My friend had a very normal name, and the last name Marsh, she got called "Martian", so if kids want to tease somebody they will find a nickname.

A family friend has that name, I think it's lovely.

there are literally tonnes of famous people called Sarah or Jane, I cant think of any called Quinn, Dahlia (apart from the bible one) or Lux :wacko:

there are literally tonnes of famous people called Sarah or Jane, I cant think of any called Quinn, Dahlia (apart from the bible one) or Lux :wacko:

Oh ffs do you have to disagree with everything I say?!
I was making a point, not using exact names. Of course there are plenty of famous people called Sarah - but it was the first plain name I thought of. Jeez!
I'm pretty sure everyone else understood the point I was making...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->