What do you think of...

EmmySocks

Reaction score
Emelia

I've always loved the name Emelia but am a bit worried she'll be mistakenly called Amelia particuarly as Amelia is so popular at the moment. Saying it out loud and sharing our idea with some people - they seem to assume its Amelia and i end up repeating "no, starting with an E"

My mum and Dad don't get it and i'm starting to lose the will - still got lots of time - should we think up a different name?

Its not a name id use but i dont dislike it.

Id pronounce it E-melia i would prononuce it as A-melia. Maybe some people arent reading the whole word and just assuming

Emelia is a beautiful name!

I wouldn't let what other say put you off a name you love! If it helps any...

Emilia is latin for "Rival" and Amelia is German for "work". Do you have an etiological preference or do you simply love the way the way Emelia is spelt and sounds? Both are fine ways to select a name. But having the information may help you feel more confident in your final decision :)

I strongly prefer Emelia. I like that it means rival, it feels like a strong name. it can also mean friendly (greek). I like both meanings together... even if they might sound slightly contradictory.. but a person could be both those things. I'm less keen on meaning of amelia but it depends what you read into the name meanings - obviously given more thought to emelia. Definitely the way it sounds is most important - thats what she'll have day to day xxx

How about 'Emilia' just to make it a little more different from Amelia?

Thanks - really like that. I dont think it changes the pronouncation? I say emME-lee-ah. Just checked with mr socks and yours is the spelling he wants so yes i guess it helps make it different :) didnt really notice i was spelling it differently! Xxx

I love it, however I'd be prepared to correct people when you are saying her name, written it's so clear to see the pronunciation but hearing it, could leave them to think you'very said Amelia. I have the same with my little girls name, her name is Macie, but I am forever correcting people who call her Maisey

I like it but they do sound very similar. I think people would probably assume Amelia if she was introduced in conversation. Written down I don't think it matters which spelling, I'd pronounce them both the same. I prefer Emilia though.

I love Emilia but don't care for the Emelia spelling, it kind of just looks like Emilia spelled wrong to me.

I also think Emilia and Amelia seem like two different names while Emelia seems like both of them smushed together.

But I do prefer Em vs. Am, it seems more soft and feminine. And prefer it for nickname options also.

Think i agree staralfur - definite preference for Emilia spelling now. Never really liked 'amelia' much -probably someone i knew at school but i've never met an emilia!

Feel much more confident in name since starting this thread - thanks everyone! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->