What do you think to my birth preferences please?

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
I've just written my birth preferences for the birth centre and wondered if you'd have a look through it and see what you think. I've tried to make it as vague as I can (!!) but it's still long so it covers everything. Hubby might not remember it all once we get to the birth centre and I'm hoping I'll be in a "trance" type state with the hypnotherapy so I won't want to be doing much talking or answering questions all the time.

Thanks in anticipation!:flower:
xx

My name is D and my husband is C. This is our 3rd baby together. We have a son (8) who was induced and born while I was in a squatting position at CH and a daughter (5) who was a spontaneous delivery born in the pool at JBC. For both labours I had Entonox but I became quite unfocused during the second stage of labour with our daughter. I felt shocked that we’d not been at Jubilee that long before my body started pushing of it’s own accord and I couldn’t do anything about it. This is why I have been practicing hypnotherapy in preparation for my 3rd delivery, in the hope it helps me stay calm and focused.

Birth preferences for JBC

C will be my birth partner throughout labour and delivery. He will give me general support and help me with my hypnotherapy where he sees I need it.

I have been practicing Natal Hypnotherapy with lavender oil at home from early on in pregnancy and I will be listening to the birth music tracks on my ipod during labour and delivery whilst using the lavender oil.

I have no problem with one student midwife being present but I would prefer the room to stay quiet and for anybody who enters the room to knock first, introduce themselves by name and job title to C and then to myself quietly if I haven’t met them before.

During labour and delivery I would like the lights in the room to be dimmed and just my own music playing. It would be helpful if the birth pool was filled prior to our arrival at the birth centre ready for me to get into if I feel the need.

I would also like as little intervention as possible and to be able to move into the positions which are most comfortable to me at the time. I feel most comfortable either in water or sat on the bed leaning slightly back against C who would be fully supported by pillows against the wall. This way he can stroke my hand/s to keep me focused if I need him to and give me as much support as I need.

I would like to be able to sip my drink during labour if I feel I need it.

If I feel the need for pain relief other than the hypnotherapy or water, I will ask for Entonox or C will ask on my behalf, for example if I am going through transition and unable to ask for myself. I don’t want Pethidine or any other form of medication.

During the second stage of labour I would like to follow my body’s instincts to push when it’s ready but for the midwife to let me know (in a quiet voice so as not to distract me from focusing) how things are progressing if necessary.

On delivery of our baby I would like to see the gender for myself, or for C to tell me if I can’t see properly. I would like our baby to be placed straight onto my chest/into my arms for skin-to-skin contact then C would like to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating.

I would like the baby to breastfeed as soon as possible if s/he is willing and for baby to be weighed and checked over after that. I would like the baby, C and I to be left alone to have some time together.

I would like to deliver the placenta without the use of medication and for baby to be given Vitamin K after it’s first breastfeed. Should I suffer a post partum haemorrhage I am happy to have emergency drugs.

After the baby, C and I are ready to move out of the delivery room I would like us to go into one of the private rooms to settle in. I would then like C to be able to go and collect our older children when we are ready for them to visit JBC.

I would like baby and I to stay for one night in the private room at JBC to successfully establish breastfeeding before going home.

Sounds great! The only suggestion I have it that you could add (just so they are clear) that you'd like them not to suggest pain relief either. I think that's what you are saying here, but I could be wrong. If you are it might need slight clarification.

If I feel the need for pain relief other than the hypnotherapy or water, I will ask for Entonox or C will ask on my behalf, for example if I am going through transition and unable to ask for myself. I don’t want Pethidine or any other form of medication.

Great Birth Preferences!!
ETA: You could add if you are unable to have skin to skin yourself for any reason, you'd like OH to have it (as it's just as effective for baby and lovely for daddy) x

Thank you for your feedback!:flower:

Yes, you are right that I don't want them to offer me anything, I would prefer either I or hubby ask for it ourselves as he knows me better than anyone else.

Thanks also for the suggestion of hubby having skin-to-skin if I can't, I hadn't thought of that:shrug:

xx

You could add to your dimmed lighting, speaking in hushed voices too.....

x

I've put that I want the room to be as quiet as possible and for them to talk quietly to me if absolutely necessary. I'll have a jig around with it and see if I can make it a bit shorter lol:haha:

xx

I dont think it's too long! I love it!! It's a fab example IMHO! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"