What do you wear during labour?

BelleNuit

Reaction score
This might sound rather frivolous to some, but I'm wondering what to wear during labour? I'm planning to use the shower to handle contractions. I guess I'm wondering if a sports bra or tank top situation might work best? I think I have access to a hospital gown if I want it. I know everyone says that while you're in labour you don't care about those sorts of things, or modesty, but I find that hard to believe! I just want to know what to pack/prepare for.

I had a loose nightdress which was great because I could still walk around decently and I was in and out of shower it was easy to take on and off. Also for examination didn't have to take on and off pants.

When I had DD I had a dry birth so had a comfy bra and strappy top on my top half with some loose PJ bottoms on my bottom half until they checked me and discovered I was 10cm.

This time I'm having a waterbirth so again, I'm going for a bra with a crop top over it while I'm in the pool. When out the pool I'll just be throwing a loose night shirt or robe on over the top of it.

I wore a button up nightie, so I could unbutton and have skin to skin after birth!

In my first water birth I had a bra & strappy top. In my last one I had just a sports bra in the pool :)

I wore a nighty with my first. With my second he was born fast 2.5 hours in total. The hospital was 40 minutes away. Literally needed to push when we got there so I whipped of my bottoms and gave birth in my t shirt lol.

With my first I ended up naked for some reason :haha: With my second I wore a nightdress.

Thanks ladies! I'm freaked out about being naked lol. But maybe I shouldn't be?

I wore a hospital gown both times. I remember insisting they cover my bottom half when I was pushing with my first :laugh2: no idea why I cared.

I actually cannot for the life of me remember what I wore this time around, lol. I know I was in a tank top and black leggings when my water broke about 2 hours before DD2 was born (she's only 3 months and you'd think I'd remember). I must have kept the tank top on and been given some weird hospital meshy underwear/shorts with a hospital pad to labor in. I feel like wear whatever you want, it's all coming off anyway haha

With my first I planned on a front opening bikini top and a bathing suit skirt (no bottoms) as I wanted a water birth but still modesty. I ended up with an induction and didn't change first, and getting undressed with the IV was such a pain that I didn't feel like putting anything else on and when I got out-of the water (I only laboured in water a couple hours and didn't have a waterbirth ) I was so deep into labour land I didn't care about what I was wearing.

My second birth once I got into labourland I stripped down too and didn't have a care in the world about there being 20 people in my room (I'm a very modest person who usually doesn't show cleavage or my knees lol)

Ironically my Homebirthed baby I ended up birthing fully clothed. Lol. I was wearing a dress so just lifted it up around my belly. I had been going to get un dressed before getting in the water but the pool took too long to fill.

I wore a nightie and a dressing down with both babies, they told me to take the dressing gown off because it will get bloody and I refused, I'm always really shivery and cold during labour, my midwives thought I was mental hahaha

I started out in a hospital gown... and finished naked.
Honestly, I was really anxious about being naked and all... but in the middle of the pain, the pushing, the exhaustion and to top it all off, I gave birth on all four, so everyone was behind me... I mean, honestly, took me forever to realize I was even naked... haha.

I had a water birth with my first and laboured in water with my 2nd but she was born on dry land. Both times I was just in a sports bra.

Believe people when they tell you you won’t care :haha:

I stayed in a hospital gown the whole time. I didn't want to get my own stuff messy, plus the gown was really comfy. But yeah, you won't care once you get in to labor and especially when it's time to push.

Had my baby girl this morning and can confirm I did not care what I wore during labour :haha: wore the hospital gown!

With my first I laboured in the shower for many hours, the nurse would bring in a little portable doppler to check the babies hear rate, so I would just step out from under the water and she would check the baby and then I'd step back under the water. I was totally naked and could not have cared less. When I got out of the shower I put a front button night gown on.

With my second my water broke in the car so I took off my underwear and pants as soon as we got to the hospital so was naked from the waist down. Had a large t-shirt on over a nursing bra. Took the shirt off at some point (can't remember why, I was probably hot and sweaty) so just had a bra on. The nursing bra had buttons in the front, and they both popped open at some point while pushing, so although I had a bra on my boobs were both hanging out so I was just naked on the table. Again I couldn't have cared less. My husband tried to button my bra closed and I yelled at him to leave it alone and to hold my leg up.

Once baby is out I like having something covering me and feel self conscious being naked, but during labour I have no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->