What does 3/5 engaged mean?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Tyra86, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Tyra86

Tyra86 Well-Known Member

Hey ladies, I know it means her head is settling in the pelvis and things are progressing as they should but what exactly does 3/5 engaged mean?? My MW has written this in my notes today. Does it go 4/5 and 5/5 next or backwards to like 2/5 and 1/5???? And whys it in 5ths? How far's a 5th? And is it normal at 36 weeks? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm in an inquisitive mood!! :wacko:

2. FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy James, Noah, Saskia, Lumi

Apparently different PCT's and MW's interpret it differently. Today I am 3/5 and she said that means that head is in pelvis and partially engaged. As it's my 2nd baby they dont always engage until labour anyway.

3. hayley x

hayley x 1AngelSon,1EarthDaughter

It means that your midwife can feel 2/5 of the babys head above the pelvis, not sure why its in 5th's tho. Baby can engage up until labour so sounds right to me :hugs: xxx

4. JayDee

JayDee Sunshine and rainbow

Mine was 3/5 at 36 weeks too, was still 3/5 last Friday.

Numbers might go up or down depending on how the midwife measures it (sounds daft I know) - palpable means she can still feel that much so 3/5 palpable means slightly more in womb than in pelvis, 3/5 engaged means slightly more in pelvis than womb. Unfortunately they don't always tell you which it is.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

6. Tyra86

Tyra86 Well-Known Member

that diagrams cracking snoopy, thanks hun and thanks to the rest of you!! x

7. LouLou78

LouLou78 Mum to 3 gorgeous girls

Midwives measure either how much of the head is palpable or how much engaged. So if you are 3/5 palpable then your are 2/5 engaged into the pelvis. This measurement is not in a relation to the womb at all as the baby is alway in the womb/uterus unless born. :thumbup: