What does 3/5 engaged mean?

Tyra86

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I know it means her head is settling in the pelvis and things are progressing as they should but what exactly does 3/5 engaged mean?? My MW has written this in my notes today. Does it go 4/5 and 5/5 next or backwards to like 2/5 and 1/5???? And whys it in 5ths? How far's a 5th? And is it normal at 36 weeks? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm in an inquisitive mood!! :wacko:

Apparently different PCT's and MW's interpret it differently. Today I am 3/5 and she said that means that head is in pelvis and partially engaged. As it's my 2nd baby they dont always engage until labour anyway.

It means that your midwife can feel 2/5 of the babys head above the pelvis, not sure why its in 5th's tho. Baby can engage up until labour so sounds right to me :hugs: xxx

Mine was 3/5 at 36 weeks too, was still 3/5 last Friday.

Numbers might go up or down depending on how the midwife measures it (sounds daft I know) - palpable means she can still feel that much so 3/5 palpable means slightly more in womb than in pelvis, 3/5 engaged means slightly more in pelvis than womb. Unfortunately they don't always tell you which it is.

Just to add to the other excellent posts, here's an image to give you an idea (just follow the link):

https://www.sweethaven02.com/ObsNewborn/921les10_img_2.jpg

that diagrams cracking snoopy, thanks hun and thanks to the rest of you!! x

Mine was 3/5 at 36 weeks too, was still 3/5 last Friday.

Numbers might go up or down depending on how the midwife measures it (sounds daft I know) - palpable means she can still feel that much so 3/5 palpable means slightly more in womb than in pelvis, 3/5 engaged means slightly more in pelvis than womb. Unfortunately they don't always tell you which it is.

Midwives measure either how much of the head is palpable or how much engaged. So if you are 3/5 palpable then your are 2/5 engaged into the pelvis. This measurement is not in a relation to the womb at all as the baby is alway in the womb/uterus unless born. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->