What does an obgyn use a stethoscope for?

Imamother

Reaction score
I haven't been to my obgyn yet for a prenatal checkup but when I was there for well checkups I noticed that he has a stethoscope which surprised me because I didn't think an obgyn uses one. The nurse took my blood pressure so that's not what the dr uses it for. Anyone know what it's used for?

It could be to listen to you. It could also be for people who are getting their yearly physical done. I have not had an OB use a stethoscope to try to listen to the baby if that is what you are asking :)

Idk maybe to place it on your stomach and hear blood going through or your breathing? There's definitely a reason why but im not too sure either haha

It could be to listen to you. It could also be for people who are getting their yearly physical done. I have not had an OB use a stethoscope to try to listen to the baby if that is what you are asking :)
I understand it's not to listen to the baby. I know they have a Doppler for that and that's why I'm so curious as to what they use it for? Does your ob ever listen to you? I always thought an ob is just to take care of a pregnancy that's why I'm wondering.

I had to have surgery for an ovarian cyst a few years ago and my OB was required to do quick physical exam - which included listening to my heart and lungs - or the hospital wouldn't allow her to book my surgery.

Some OBs also do use them to listen to fetal HR and movement - if a pregnant patient comes in and they are sick with a respiratory infection the OB could listen to their lungs to make sure they were clear etc.

I had to have surgery for an ovarian cyst a few years ago and my OB was required to do quick physical exam - which included listening to my heart and lungs - or the hospital wouldn't allow her to book my surgery.

Some OBs also do use them to listen to fetal HR and movement - if a pregnant patient comes in and they are sick with a respiratory infection the OB could listen to their lungs to make sure they were clear etc.
I'm sorry to hear about your surgery. Also, i find it interesting that some use it for fetal heart rate as I thought that's way outdated and only a Doppler is used.

One OB I saw did listen to my heart and lunges one time... I wasn’t pregnant at the time, though.

My thought would be if a Mum has a heart condition or has started having palpitations during pregnancy they would want to have a listen to the heart and lungs

For any sort of basic exam, wellness check, sports physical (yes they can do them), if/when women come in complaining of chest pain/shortness of breath/heartburn/cold symptoms.....

And just because it really completes the outfit, no? :haha:

For any sort of basic exam, wellness check, sports physical (yes they can do them), if/when women come in complaining of chest pain/shortness of breath/heartburn/cold symptoms.....

And just because it really completes the outfit, no? :haha:
Does your obgyn use it at your first prenatal visit?

That's a good question haha! I assume in case anyone says they're having heart palpitations or breathing problems?

Imma go with the outfit thing though. :lol:

I usually have a midwife, and they never have a stethoscope.

Palpitations, heart conditions, lung sounds. Pulmonary edema can happen in pregnancy, as well as embolism and those can result in changes in heart beat or in breath sounds.

It also makes a handy reflex hammer when someone has eclampsia and needs magnesium.

And that's just use to the ob side of it. Some places, people go see their OBGyns for all sorts of women's health. There, listening with the stethoscope is just as important as other specialties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->