What eases your SPD pains?

Hiya SmileyShazza.
I am afraid it does sound like SPD or pubic girdle pain is the new name.
The bit u mentioned saying when u got up it felt like it had seized DEFINATELY sounds like it :( I get like that too. I find if u hunch ur bk over abit like a little old lady and shuffle ur feet, dont lift them off the floor, that it gets a bit better and then in a few mins, I can stand up straight and walk.
I would go to your docs, ask for some pain relief if you have no objections over that, and to refer you to a physio. She should give you a support belt and show you some exercises to do. Although to be honest, I did my exercises every day, 3 times a day for 11 weeks and it made no difference, and then began hurting too much, so I no longer do them.
Be careful turning in bed, its VILE! put a thick pillow between ur legs, I currently have 3 in one pillowcase. It needs to be thick, one wont be enough. You need them thick to have ur legs at the right level with your hips. This makes it alot easier to get moving in the morning!
I would buy a number of pillows, (i recently got 4 for £10 in bhs!!) and make a nest, ask for a little help off OH/ or a friend and practise which positions for u n pillows works best. Silk pjs or bottom sheet also makes it easier to turn over.
I find a bath every night really helps too! good luck huni, xxx

It bloody hurts and I can't even imagine another 7 weeks of being in this amount of pain :cry:

And I am sorry, but it will only get worse. mine started at around 18 weeks and got worse quickly. Now, I am 39 weeks wednesday, can barely move, in constant pain even when sitting and have been booked in for a c-section. With SPD as the sole reason.

Please do think about birth, and have a nose around the web.Without trying to scare you, but just to let you know,
Alot of damage can be done during childbirth, worse case being you could end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life, and being in need of a hip replacement. xxx

I have severe spd I have had it since week 18 and I was signed off work because of it
baths are amazing, I have had one every day
co codamol was prescribed to me by physio and I was reluctant but I have taken it every night only for a week now and I'm sleeping
sleeping with my knees together helps
don't do the dishes as the angle you have to stand at will worsen it
walking too much makes it worse in my case and I have now got crutches

I bought the nexcare support from mothercare £34 it's a godsend

I cannot sit for more than 30m so I get up and down.

Have u had a physio appt?

I asked about a c section and was told no outright I have been housebound since w18 and the baby is measuring large. I have this spd and also I have had knee surgery so my positions are limited. I'm petrified the birth will do damage
but they told me that I had to do it naturally

i was told no to hun im really worried a natural birth will cause more damage but theres nothing i can do they said no. they wanted me to at least a wk over due b4 inducing but i said no way enough is enough so im now booked in thursday 3rd my due date providing there r beds its shit hun i wud of had bubs now if they wud of done c scsion so gutting xx

Hiya SmileyShazza.
I am afraid it does sound like SPD or pubic girdle pain is the new name.I would go to your docs, ask for some pain relief if you have no objections over that, and to refer you to a physio. She should give you a support belt and show you some exercises to do. I find a bath every night really helps too! good luck huni, xxx

:( I thought it sounded very much like it could be it.

I had to take a paracetamol last night which did help me sleep a bit better. I read they usually prescribe codeine or co-cocodamol but I can't take either of those as I'm allergic to codeine :nope:

I always have a nightly bath as we don't have a shower so will carry on doing that. Raed about the pillow between the legs and trying to keep legs together as much as possible yesterday so will adopt that straight away.

And I am sorry, but it will only get worse. mine started at around 18 weeks and got worse quickly. Now, I am 39 weeks wednesday, can barely move, in constant pain even when sitting and have been booked in for a c-section. With SPD as the sole reason.

Please do think about birth, and have a nose around the web.Without trying to scare you, but just to let you know,
Alot of damage can be done during childbirth, worse case being you could end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life, and being in need of a hip replacement. xxx

I have been reading up on everything yesterday and I am really worried about how it would affect my birthing options. Ive read some awful stories of people who have had long lasting damage because of their SPD :nope: some places say that natural births are possible but I suppose it depends how bad it gets - which is why I really want it diagnosed as soon as possible.

I've spken to my boss and she has said to get myself straight to the doctors this morning - fingers crossed I get on ok, if they try and fob me off I don't know what I will do :(

I think I have SPF but I also have a back problem as well (don't know the real name for it) I had it when I was pregnant with my son but it only got worse towards the end but this time I've had it since finding out I was pregnant and it's gotten worse over the last few months! I've been to a physio about my back and gave me some exercises then I told him about my pelvis and he said the exercises should help but it can't do anything more as my bump is getting too big,he toldme to get a support so had to get one from toys r us as I can't afford thrones he has recommended yet (my OH has been off sick since beginning of december so we have just been buying the essentials) as soon as I get sone money I'm gonna get the one he recommended as the toys r usones is rubbish no support at all!
I've found baths help and just resting but it's difficult when your two year old just wants to play with you,OH tries and helps out but it's hard for me not to do anything as I'm controlling but on a night I do my best and get in a hot bath and lay there but then have to get out lol! It is really bad on a night,I can hear my pelvis click or pop and it hurts so much then my back starts so Im in pain all the time!
I mentioned it to my midwife the other day but she didn't say anything even when she saw me struggling to get off the bed and she didn't even help so I'm seeing a different midwife next time! I have thyroid problems so I see a consult every 8weeks which is Tuesday so im gonna mention it to them as stress makes my thyroid worse and I've been doing really well up to now with my thyroid!
It has scared me a little to know natural birth could make it worse but I doubt I will be lucky enough to have a c-section so I'll have to just carry on x

I've got SPD quite bad now - on crutches :( And I don't feel right filling myself up with paracetamol due to lo. I'd rather save it for when I really need it.
But I've found making sure that I have the right balance between making sure I do move around, like get out meet a friend for a coffee (well, juice for me!) and then staying in resting the next day. I find I seize up and the pain gets much worse if I walk around too much, but equally the same if I don't do anything.
I also stay away from movements that I know will hurt like squatting, bending down, any shuffling movements etc.
And I sleep with a pillow between me legs/knees and I have a pillow at the end of the bed to elevate my legs slightly, I find that helps at night.

Went to the doctor and she has confirmed Pelvic Girdle Pain :(

She has referred me to the Physiotherapist and told me that I can take paracetamol if and when needed. I don't really like to take painkillers unless I absolutely have to though so am just grinning and bearing it unless it gets so bad that I feel I need them.

Luckily this is my last week at work till I start my maternity leave. My boss told me to rest up today but I'm going back in tomorrow as I need to train my replacement. This couldn't have come at a worst time as I was really hoping to get stuck in to lots of jobs at home once I'd started my maternity leave :dohh:

Firstly, thanks so much for all your responses! I'm going to start trying a few of the suggestions. I have to say though, my heart goes out to some of you who have severe SPD :( I'm nowhere close and I'm complaining!

Also, I wanted to share that I took a hot water bottle to bed with me last night and put it between my legs and also beneath the area where my bum meets my thighs. I have to say, I feel a marked improvement today! Might just be a coincidence so I'm trying it again tonight!

I know I'm actually quite lucky and many women have it a lot harder than me!

I had pretty bad pelvic pain around 14-18 weeks... everything I've found indicated it was SPD-related (also had sciatica and was limping from that pain). They don't really do much for you here in the US and many doctors won't even acknowledge it as a condition that needs attention.
Mine drastically eased off though. The baby must have been on my sciatic nerve and moved.
I also started sitting on a pillow at work... my chair here isn't too hard, but its harder than what I sit on at home, and somehow all the weight resting on my pelvis like that was causing basically a bruised pelvic bone which made everything going on down there painful.

I made sure to keep my knees together.. getting in and out of cars, putting pants on etc... pillow between the knees at night too.
By doing all that, my pain went from me gasping in pain when I had to stand up to being able to manage without any real discomfort.
Unfortunately its starting to get worse again which I expected and the tricks still help but aren't as effective.

I did take pain killers once or twice, but they really just gave me a few hours of relief from the pain so I only took them when it was unbearable.
I didn't have the guts to try a bath because getting in and out would have made me split my knees apart somehow!

My pain has all be very far forward in the pelvis (I know it can be towards the back for many girls) so I find reclining backwards to actually help relieve my pain... the opposite of the girl who mentioned sitting forwards.

i have had a very painful coccyx throughout this pregnancy - although i had a few problems with it before (haven't been able to sleep on floors for over a year) it's gotten so bad that i sometimes need my OH to drag my legs onto the bed for me because i cant straighten them without excruciating pain. told the consultant about this and she didn't seem that bothered. could this be SPD??? doesn't hurt to walk unless i've laid on my coccyx funny but it bloody hurts when it's playing up and i can't sit up or lie in quite a lot of positions without angering it. anyone had anything similar?

Is SPD a constant pain? I am mostly fine when I am sitting and resting, but when I have to move or walk around, I am getting a terrible pain in my left leg and pelvis. It almost feels like bones are rubbing together. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on and if I am having a busy day and doing alot.

I have SPD and it hurts like a mofo! I've been feeling the pains since late November and I have less than five weeks to go! Unfortunately many still are not aware of the condtion, I guess it is rare overall. I find that rest and more rest is what helps me. I keep my mobility and activities pretty limited. I use to be pretty independent but have sucked it up and ask for help a lot more know. I have also let a lot of things go, like my weekly full blown cleaning ritual. Things get done in spurts and it's all I can do. I tell those who judge and make rude comments to stuff it. Your health and comfort is very, very important. It is silly how quickly people forget that growing humans is hard work! Do not push through the pain and do not take on a lot. Break up your tasks into small bursts and get help whenever and howevver you can. I also find that a pillow between the legs while I sleep helps. Also, do not do anything on one leg! Sit when you get dressed or whatever. Bum first when you get in and out of vehicles, do not stetch your legs apart. Rest, rest and take care of yourself. Good luck! :D

Is SPD a constant pain? I am mostly fine when I am sitting and resting, but when I have to move or walk around, I am getting a terrible pain in my left leg and pelvis. It almost feels like bones are rubbing together. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on and if I am having a busy day and doing alot.

It's different for every woman, but generally, no it's not constant pain. It's pain when you move (including moving while sitting or in bed - especially in bed! Ow!) and when standing, walking, getting changed etc.
I find I also hurt getting from sitting and sitting down. But mine has really got worse over the past month.
It does sound like you have SPD, get it checked out and get onto getting some physio and take it easy. Do not strain yourself and do more than your body says you can do. Trust me, you'll only make it worse.

I forgot to mention as well, being in a swimming pool helps, especially a heated one. I have hydrotherapy for my SPD and it is both an invention of the gods and of the devil! It's such a relief while you're in the pool (but remember NOT to do big movements - you'll feel it afterwards!). But getting out again hurts so much as gravity just rushes back to your pelvis. But for the short relief I think it's worth it :)

Just wanted to update on my SPD. I had a csection on 31st Jan, this was solely due to my severe SPD. I am very happy to say that I have a beautiful daughter and even after such severe SPD that I was housebound and reliant on a wheelchair the SPD is nearly gone!!!!!!! Although the csection recovery is hard with a toddler and a newborn at least I have my legs back :happydance:

It is down to your consultant whether they will do a section or not mine were very supportive and they all felt that it was the best way to manage my care due to the constant agony, very poor quality of life etc prior to the birth. Even the pain from the section is mild compared to the SPD pain

nothing helps me. i was pescribed co-codamol 2 weeks ago, it took the edge off for a couple of days then i my body must've been getting used to them and they started having no effect.

i havent tried heat pads, i want to but dont go out much to find them. sitting with my legs up does help, but then i find im quite stiff when go to move again

My physio told me to use one of those microwave beanie heatpad things on my pubic bone and it does soothe it for a while, at the moment i'm struggling with the pain, i have crutches and a support belt but still end up in tears everyday. The annoying thing for me is even when i'm sat watching with my feet up it still throbs constantly there's no let up from the pain x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->