What happens at a Home Birth Assessment?

x melanie x

Mum of four xx
Reaction score
My midwife is visiting me at home when I'm 36 weeks to assess my home for suitability of a home birth. What are they looking for? She joked it was to check for running water?!? Or maybe it wasnt a joke! I had a home birth with my second son four years ago but didn't have an assessment.

I have passed with regard to my BMI, my iron count, no previous inductions etc I didn't realise there were so many boxes to tick!!

Anyone that's had one, an insight would be appreciated before I go mad and re decorate in a panic!

Thank you xx

I'm not in the UK but having mine at 36 weeks too. She said she just needs to ensure the house is safe in terms of being able to get emergency services in/out if needed (ie. no hoarders, no feces everywhere, lol). Where I live, some houses are 200+ years old and some apartments won't fit a proper ambulance transport (or have 10 flights stairs), so it's more or less for that.

She also wants to take a look around and talk to me about where I'd feel most comfortable and give advice on how to prep a room (but this is my 1st home birth, I'm sure since it's your 2nd home birth you probably know what you want)

At my assessment the midwife checked the suitability of the room we planned on putting the birth pool in and also made sure we had another room in the house that was suitable for giving birth in, incase I chose not to use the pool. She asked what sort of boiler we had and gave us a list of items we'd need (such as towels, waterproof sheets, a hose etc). Like Aliss said, she also made sure that the emergency services would easily be able to access our property if need be.

She also checked that our house was suitable for raising a baby in - she noted how many fire alarms we had and advised us to get some more, viewed the room where baby would be sleeping and what he'd be sleeping in, and gave us recommendations about how to ensure the bedroom was kept at a suitable temperature for baby.

I think that's all that happened but I have a newborn so I'm slightly sleep deprived and forgetful at the moment :haha: If I think of anything else I'll add it to this message.

Mine just checked we'd have access to water, had heating if need be or a working fire. She asked about putting the dog upstairs and made sure our house was not only accessible to an ambulance, but obvious which number it was!!
She also checked my biscuit tin and said it needed to be fuller :winkwink: :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->