What happens at ur booking in apt? Help!!

Oooo ellie... tell me tell me tell me.... shame you are at the other end of the country to me...boo hoo

I started writing a massive message outlining EVERYTHING that gets said and done, but I lost it halfway through :(

So, any questions just PM me, save me writing it again!

(ps I am a midwife btw!!)

Good luck xxxxx

Oh thanks ellie.

Can i ask what tests they do? I was told id be sent a booklet outlining what tests i can have done, but havent received. Is there a downs blood test for example? Im literally clueless about what will happen!!

Its so annoying when u lose everything uv written, i did exact same thing yesterday! Nearly punched my computer!

The tests you'll get offered are as below: (I woulda replied sooner, but obviously had to have an afternoon nap..)

Blood tests. - these check your blood group (important if you're Rh negative), the iron level in your blood and whether or not you're immune to rubella.

They'll also fill in a questionnaire about your ethnic heritage to include with the blood tests to identify whether or not they need to test your samples for things like sickle-cell and thalassaemia traits.

As part of these bloods, they'll also take some to test for Syphillis, Hepatitis B and HIV. These are done routinely, but you can decline them.

Basic other tests are blood pressure, urine, height and weight. This is to get a baseline reading of your general health, and they'll work out your BMI.

The tests for Down's syndrome etc don't tend to be done till you're a little further on. But it'll be discussed with you then.

You'll get an awful lot of info thrown at you!! If you forget anything, feel free to ask for a refresher! It's mainly talking and form-filling :)

You probably won't get a scan, but it'll be arranged then

Hope that helps xxxxxxx :)

Thanks so much for that, thats really helpful. As its our first i just dont know what to expect!!

Hope you enjoyed ur nap!! :) xx

Thanks so much for that, thats really helpful. As its our first i just dont know what to expect!! :dohh:

Hope you enjoyed ur nap!! :) xx

Naps appear to be essential to coping with the rigours of early pregnancy ...!

Did anyone's midwife use a doppler to find the heartbeat?

Mine is on tuesday and was really hoping they would do some chec that everything is ok as scan won't be for another 2.5 weeks after that.

A MW wouldn't routinely use a sonicaid to find the heartbeat until you are at least 11weeks. That's because the top of the uterus doesn't rise above the pubic bone till you're 12 weeks or so.

Even then some midwives won't attempt it until 14 weeks or more, just because these tiny babies are so hard to track down that sometimes it can cause the mum more stress than is really necessary!

I keep reading on here about people who reckon they've picked up a heartbeat at 8-9 weeks themselves, and I remain sceptical! If you don't know what you're listening for it's easy to mistake many other internal sounds for an FH :)

A MW wouldn't routinely use a sonicaid to find the heartbeat until you are at least 11weeks. That's because the top of the uterus doesn't rise above the pubic bone till you're 12 weeks or so.

Even then some midwives won't attempt it until 14 weeks or more, just because these tiny babies are so hard to track down that sometimes it can cause the mum more stress than is really necessary!

I keep reading on here about people who reckon they've picked up a heartbeat at 8-9 weeks themselves, and I remain sceptical! If you don't know what you're listening for it's easy to mistake many other internal sounds for an FH :)

Hi Ellie - hope you don't mind me asking but my partner and I (it's our first) were thinking about having a private scan at 9 weeks or so, yep we are simply impatient :blush: Given what you have said above about people stressing themselves out, are we being silly and do you think we should wait?

I'm also worried as I am overweight and I'm scared they won't be able to find the baby for the blubber?

Thanks

I think that if you're over 7 wks when you have your first scan it can be very reassuring. Before that, what you can see is a bit hit and miss! But I'm fully planning on having an early private scan myself so I can't fault you one bit :)

As for your tummy- it should be fine! If they can't get a marvellous picture abdominally, they can always use a transvaginal transducer! Slightly uncomfortable and undignified, but you can get clearer piccies earlier on.

But honestly, it's not a big problem

Exciting stuff !!!! :)

I think that if you're over 7 wks when you have your first scan it can be very reassuring. Before that, what you can see is a bit hit and miss! But I'm fully planning on having an early private scan myself so I can't fault you one bit :)

As for your tummy- it should be fine! If they can't get a marvellous picture abdominally, they can always use a transvaginal transducer! Slightly uncomfortable and undignified, but you can get clearer piccies earlier on.

But honestly, it's not a big problem

Exciting stuff !!!! :)

Thanks sooooo much Ellie - thats really reassuring.

I think that the loss of my dignity is pretty much a foregone conclusion, some of the stuff my friends have told me has me prepared for that.

:hugs:

Broody - I had a scan at 9 1/2 weeks, and mw did it externally. It really helped that I had been dying for a pee, as if my bladder was empty she would not have had such a good image. So I recommend drinking plenty an hour or so before you go in!

Having said that, I've had 3 earlier transvaginal scans too and they are honestly a piece of cake. Much less uncomfortable than having a smear test. You are best with an empty bladder for that. So go in dying for a pee, and you're covering all bases! Good luck! :)

Broody - I had a scan at 9 1/2 weeks, and mw did it externally. It really helped that I had been dying for a pee, as if my bladder was empty she would not have had such a good image. So I recommend drinking plenty an hour or so before you go in!

Having said that, I've had 3 earlier transvaginal scans too and they are honestly a piece of cake. Much less uncomfortable than having a smear test. You are best with an empty bladder for that. So go in dying for a pee, and you're covering all bases! Good luck! :)

Thanks Tampa :)

I'm super excited! And nervous and scared and happy and actually every emotion I could possibly feel, I've felt it in the last few days :dohh:

I so know how you feel - it's incredible isn't it? Never imagined how I'd feel when it finally happened, but I'm bursting with excitement, trepidation and total love for that teensy little foetus in there!!! All the best to you too x

I so know how you feel - it's incredible isn't it? Never imagined how I'd feel when it finally happened, but I'm bursting with excitement, trepidation and total love for that teensy little foetus in there!!! All the best to you too x

Best of luck to you too Tampa :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->