What is NHS?

hopingforit

Reaction score
I'm from the US and I know a lot of women on here are from the UK. I hear a lot of women talking about NHS and was curious so I looked it up but don't quite understand how it works. If someone could explain it to me that would be great.

Thanks. :flower:

The basic idea of it is everyone pays a tax into a system that then offers medical care to all so that you dont have to pay huge medical bills and even the poor can still get care.

It stands for the National Health Service and like smokey said we pay into it via taxes, everyone can use it i.e. those currently out of work. It is classed as 'free' health care for all x

That's a really good idea. I know when my DH was switching jobs, we only had the option of the unemployment insurance which for a family of 4 was $1200/mo...that's more than we had paid when he was getting it through his job.

The US should consider getting something like that. Can you still get private insurance or insurance through a job if you want it?

Yes, the NHS has quiet a waiting list for some things so you still ahve the option to go private to get quicker care

That's a really good idea. I know when my DH was switching jobs, we only had the option of the unemployment insurance which for a family of 4 was $1200/mo...that's more than we had paid when he was getting it through his job.

The US should consider getting something like that. Can you still get private insurance or insurance through a job if you want it?

Yes hun you can still get private care. I usually go private for second opinions on scans ect for my PCOS and because I had an abnormal smear :thumbup:

Yeah there can be waiting times but if it's a genuine emergency they are pretty good. Like most things it has it's faults but i think it's invaluable :)

It's universal health care from the cradle to the grave.

That's how the public health system is in Australia, too. It's called Medicare. Everyone is entitled to it, but those with extra money can get private care. GP visits and stuff are affordable under private care but hospital stays and birth care and that kind of thing are ridiculously expensive, so it's a good thing we have Medicare. :thumbup:

That's how the public health system is in Australia, too. It's called Medicare. Everyone is entitled to it, but those with extra money can get private care. GP visits and stuff are affordable under private care but hospital stays and birth care and that kind of thing are ridiculously expensive, so it's a good thing we have Medicare. :thumbup:

We have something called Medicare also that is for elderly/retired people. Then we have what is called Medicaid for those who are poor but you have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to get that. There is nothing for people who are just out of work though. You have to get that through unemployment.

As far as I am aware there is nothing like the NHS anywhere else in the world (though I could be wrong). We all pay National Insurance from our wages that pays for the NHS and the social security system, but even if you've never worked a day in your life you are entitled to free treatment. In Scotland we don't even have to pay for eye checks or prescriptions. Very few people choose to pay for private health care in the UK as we all tend to rely on the NHS

As far as I am aware there is nothing like the NHS anywhere else in the world (though I could be wrong). We all pay National Insurance from our wages that pays for the NHS and the social security system, but even if you've never worked a day in your life you are entitled to free treatment. In Scotland we don't even have to pay for eye checks or prescriptions. Very few people choose to pay for private health care in the UK as we all tend to rely on the NHS

It's an incredible system that means that everyone, no matter what their circumstances or income, has access to top quality healthcare :thumbup: ... but we are Brit's and we like to moan :winkwink: so we complain about it a lot and tend to forget how lucky we are :blush:

iwe have cost banding for dental care too and if you work, prescriptions cost 7.20. the nhs i think is fab, ive literalyl never had a bad thing to say about it, it just annoys me when some people abuse it.

The NHS means everyone is treated fairly no matter or income or class x

I am originally from Canada and I have heard that before.....it's not true. Every first world nation has a universal healthcare system paid by taxes,the only exception is the United States.

ETA this map, countries in blue have a health system in place for all residents https://www.gadling.com/2007/07/05/what-countries-have-universal-health-care/

Yes Canada has a very similar system. The US is the clear exception amongst 'developed Western countries' but it is across a range of social policy issues such as maternity leave.

There a couple of areas where the NHS is better IMO. Flat rate prescriptions and free prescriptions for children, pregnant women, people on benefits, etc. Obviously Wales is different here. Also free birth control is very good thing.

yes you can, we'll be switching to private next year as it's part of DH's work package. Like a pp said there are similar systems all over the world.

I'm personally very glad that people complain, no system is ever perfect but you can't improve something unless people speak up, you only have to look the disproportionate quality and quantity of treatment available from county to county to notice that there is much room for improvement.

taken from wiki..

The National Health Service or NHS is the publicly funded healthcare system in England. It is both the largest and oldest single-payer healthcare system in the world. It is able to function in the way that it does because it is primarily funded through the general taxation system, in a similar fashion to the funding model for fire departments, police departments, and primary schools. The system provides healthcare to anyone normally legally resident in England, and also any other part of the United Kingdom (should a person from another UK area be travelling in England, for example), with almost all services free at the point of use for all such people.

The idea of the NHS being free at the point of use is contained in its core principles from the original NHS set-up, which are non-negotiable at their root but have variously been open to some interpretation over the years. In practice, "free at the point of use" normally means that anyone legitimately fully registered with the system (i.e. in possession of an NHS number), including UK citizens and legal immigrants, can access the full breadth of critical and non-critical medical care without any out-of-pocket payment of any kind. Some specific NHS services are fee-for-service: since 1948, patients have been charged for services associated with eye tests, dental care, prescriptions, and aspects of long-term care. However, these charges are often lower than equivalent services provided by a private health care provider.

I work in the NHS and we also treat all patients but patients need to be registered with a GP, have an NHS number to be able to get the free health care lets say, but overseas patients and private patients have to pay for treatment.

I really like the idea of NHS. When I looked at the map that was posted, I was surprised at how many countries offer universal healthcare. Being without insurance in the US is a hard thing, especially if you get really sick. I guess the one good thing in the US is that if you don't have insurance and you are pregnant, they will provide you with insurance until after you give birth and provide the baby with insurance until age 18. The bad thing about that is, if you make over the guidelines to get free insurance but under the amount where you could afford insurance and still live (a lot of people do) then you have to go without. There is that fine line. Even if there are long waiting periods for some things like NHS, I still really think that it is a great thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->