What is NHS?

I was so so grateful to the NHS when I had Sophie, I couldn't fault them at all. I had amazing care right from the day the midwife noticed that I had high BP, and Sophie was so well looked after for the 12 weeks she was in NICU. I will never ever criticize the NHS after that - I'm so glad we have it! xx

I live in australia but am from the uk, and I have to say the nhs is something I really miss. Yes we have medicare which means you go to the hospital and recieve free treatment, but it does not cover optical, dental care etc - only medical. And if you go to the doctors surgery, unless you find a surgery that bulkbills (meaning the entire bill is covered) you have to pay around $75 for a consultation fee, you recieve a reciept and take it to medicare where you get refunded around $30. There have been times where Ive had to wait days till I get paid before I can go to the doctors as I cant afford it. Plus prescriptions for adults are around $30 each and about$18 for kids. I shouldve mentioned you dont paya fee for kids in the doctors office. And dont get me started on the dentists, I had to get a wisdom tooth pulled and it cost me $300!! - with no rebate! The NHS may have its flaws, but I think those in the UK are incredibly lucky to have it.

As far as I am aware there is nothing like the NHS anywhere else in the world (though I could be wrong). We all pay National Insurance from our wages that pays for the NHS and the social security system, but even if you've never worked a day in your life you are entitled to free treatment. In Scotland we don't even have to pay for eye checks or prescriptions. Very few people choose to pay for private health care in the UK as we all tend to rely on the NHS

I am originally from Canada and I have heard that before.....it's not true. Every first world nation has a universal healthcare system paid by taxes,the only exception is the United States.

ETA this map, countries in blue have a health system in place for all residents https://www.gadling.com/2007/07/05/what-countries-have-universal-health-care/

From what I know about other healthcare systems; the NHS is the one you have to pay the least into and with the least additional fees i.e. prescription charges, cost of seeing a consultant etc. I think that was what Marley meant. Even in the republic of Ireland I have heard you have to pay a small fee to see a GP, and its the same with most other European countries xx

I noticed alot of people talking about the nhs being free and fair and for the most part this is true unless say for example you live in a postcode that doesn't offer a treatment you need to save your life, and then its tough cookies, so the NHS with all is brilliant attributes, is also a postcode lottery. Its also incredibly slow to get some treatment, again though this usually depends on the area you live in, With that said though i have relied on the nhs for a long time (i have a heart irregularity) and i couldn't have afforded to go private.

I'm in Ireland and wish we had an NHS. We have medical cards which give you free health care but only pensioners, those under a certain income level and people with serious long term conditions get those. They do have to treat everyone that goes into hospital though. the vast majority of people have health insurance though because it is very expensive if you don't. My sister had a biopsy recently and it was over a thousand for a day case. My uncle went in and had a very minor heart surgery (via catheter), was only in 3 hours and it was 16,000!
We pay just as much into the system as the UK, so don't know why we can't have the same system.

Of course, with the way the govt is going, we may not have an NHS for much longer...

The key thing about the NHS is that it is free at the point of use, not free altogether. It is funded through taxation but you are not charged to see a GP/ have an operation/ etc. The NHS is across the UK but there are some variations in parts of it as Health is a devolved issue. This means that Wales and Scotland can choose to fund extra things, eg, we have free eye exams and prescriptions.

I am a very string supporter of the NHS. I received care 2nd to none with my high risk pg. My consultant called me from home and also left her contact details on my notes when she went on holiday! Private health care (usually BUPA/ Spire) is part of some job packages but you do often pay to add a spouse/ children too. DH has it through work and we are all on it but have never used it.

I am originally from Canada and I have heard that before.....it's not true. Every first world nation has a universal healthcare system paid by taxes,the only exception is the United States.

ETA this map, countries in blue have a health system in place for all residents https://www.gadling.com/2007/07/05/what-countries-have-universal-health-care/

I noticed that the map shows The Netherlands as having a health system in place for all residents. While this is true, you can not compare it to the NHS. It has a 'free for all health system', yes. It also has a rule saying that if you're over the age of 18 you need to pay for private health care insurance and if you don't you get fined or thrown in jail. It costs me over £100 each single month to get my health care. Very well saying it's for everyone, but if you don't pay monthly you end up in jail eventually.

We have similar in Canada but UK has much wider coverage... like dental work, optometrist, prescriptions... here mostly everyone has additional health coverage to pick up those costs, or portions of them, through their employers at a group rate or purchased on their own. I am glad to have it, not having to worry about the unexpected- like an emergency c-section, or I broke my arm and needed surgery recently..

I am quite positive that people living in the UK also pay more in taxes than we do in Canada, though we do pay enough here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->