What is the minimum time between claiming SMP?

moomoo

Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!
Reaction score
Or is there a minimum?? :shrug:

Thinking of TTC again before i'm due to go back to work... Would i be entitled to maternity pay if i got pregnant before or soon after going back??

I wouldnt tell them lol :blush:

In Canada I know it is based on the amount of hours you have worked. So even if you come back to work pregnant as long as you work a certain amount of hours during your pregnancy you are entitled to maternity leave.

I found this

To qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay you must have been:

employed by the same employer continuously (some breaks do not interrupt continuous employment) for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due
earning an average of at least £95 a week (before tax)
To claim Statutory Maternity Pay you must tell your employer at least 28 days before the date you want to start your Statutory Maternity Pay. Your employer may need you to tell them in writing

But I couldn't find anything that said about going back after Mat leave... but I figure it will be something similiar!

Your right to mat leave is based on your total service with your employer. If you meet the normal conditions for SMP, you'll get that (you can count sick pay, holiday pay and bonuses, but obs if you've been off for a year then you probably won't qualify for anything), if not, you can claim maternity allowance from the council.

Thanks V much ladies..I've worked for the company for over 5 years..it's a well paid job so ideally don't want to lose it..but also want my babes to be close together

x

Couldn't find anything on times in between claiming SML/SMP in my textbook or statute book... How useless xD I'd base that on there being no limit, though obviously it's probably best to consult your employer. And remember you only have the right to return to work with the company; not to the same job you left!

You are still employed by your empolyer while you are of on SMP. So it doesn't actually mater what the time is between them but I believe that you must return to work for a minimum of 1 day before going off again.

Best bet would be to talk to HR dept. at your work and find out from them. Remember that due to law against sex discrimination, which pregnancy discrimination counts as, they cannot sack you on the basis of you having another baby. If they do not offer you the same job you had prior to your leave, they have to offer a suitable alternative - ie similar benefits and skill set. I would think that maternity leave would be a break that does not interupt continuous employment because of all the discrimination legislation... but as I said, best to check this out with HR as, within what the law allows, all employers will vary.

Anyhoo, good luck with No. 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->