What is your sleep routine bfing mums?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Finsmummy, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

At the moment I am struggling seriously to function at all. I go to bed at 7pm with exhaustion and then dont get much more than an hours sleep at any one time. With such regular feeding, I am up most of the night. The day is irregular too so its virtually impossible to get serious rest. Maybe 20 mins in the day.

I am trying to express now to give me a rest but not getting much inbetween the feeding.

Im wondering if others are going through this and what your bed and sleep routine for both of you is? I should mention I have a 4 yr old at school too so have to be doing for him too.

2. satine51

satine51 Well-Known Member

Hi, you LO is still so little. I remember when my LO was that age she would cluster feed from 5 to 11 pm. then sleep till 3 ish, feed and sleep till 5-6, feed. She stopped cluster feeding at about 7-8 weeks old. Now, I get her ready for bed at 6, put her in the cot with mobile on while I prepare bath, then bathe, change to pjs, and nurse to sleep. She is usually asleep by 7.

3. kermie219

kermie219 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think it's just time and your baby will work itself out:( plus I think there is a growth spurt around 4 weeks and another at 6? I feel your pain as I have an 8 week old and an 18 month old! I would just say follow your baby's lead and know that this will pass. I've been pumping every morning to get a stash going in time for a mommy and daddy night out in Decmeber and it's taken me pumping everyday in the morning 6 weeks or so to be able to pump 4-6oz in one session? and even now that is a really good day generally I can pump 3-4oz in about 15 minutes (but that's all the time I get with 2 small babies) it will pass though hun! I remember feeling really down about everything around 4 weeks then the 6 weeks growth spurt hit (at 5 weeks might I add) and then it did start to get a little better:) My baby has reflux so we don't get much rest either but even with a reflux baby he still goes 2-3 hours between feeds now. hang in there mama and just try and sit when you can and close your eyes even if it's not sleep it's rest. Eat plenty of good foods drink loads of water and know that in a few weeks it'll all be different. good luck! x

As far as a routine now...it's kind of hard to say. About 6pm his refulx goes bad and he cried a LOT until about 10-11 then we go to bed. He still feeds 2 hourly at night so his cot is right up to our bed one side down. And I roll over feed, wind and put him back down usually without waking up completely I'm so good at it now sometimes I dont' even remember feeding lol

4. heather1212

heather1212 Well-Known Member

I remember things being like that when my LO was that little! My LO got his 6 week growth spurt just after 5 weeks then after that things got so much easier and I was able to start more of a bedtime routine with him. Plus as time's gone on he now sleeps for longer stints at night and goes straight back to sleep after his feeds.
    About 6:45- bath but not every night, pjs on
    About 7:00- I give him his last feed of the night on our bed with the room nice and dark
    About 7:30- Put him down in his moses basket, if he fusses a bit I'll give him his dummy and put his white noise cd on. I sometimes have to go back to him a couple of times to pop his dummy back in but *touch wood* he will self settle and go to sleep.
    I then go to bed about 10 or 11pm and LO normally wakes between 1:30 and 2:30 for a feed, he used to then next wake between 4:30 and 5:30 but the past couple of nights he's gone until around 6:30.
    I'm so glad that I introduced a routine at about 6 weeks. I know some people would rather just follow the baby's lead but doing this has worked out really well for us.
    I look forward to "my" evening when I can just have a nice cup of tea and watch the tv (although often I use the time to do housework lol!)
    Alls I can say is that in no time things will get so much better and you'll be able to get your rest! Hope this helps.
    Heather x

5. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

Thank you ladies, ijust needed those kind words you know?! A bit of support from other mums.

6. Leopard

Leopard 2yrOld;3rdTriBoy

Sleep? What is this word? i've only just started but I'm lucky to get an hour, so i average an hour asleep and an hour up.

7. eagermom

eagermom Aarshi's Mum

My LO is pretty much of tge same age... She usually feeds every hour in the evening... Until 11pm and her last is at 12am and she sleeps in for 2.5 to 3 hours at a stretch at night waking up fo a quick session of 5 mins and sleeps again... She is a real fast sucker at night :dohh:

And i demand feed her not waking her up at fixedinyervals

8. LoPanda

LoPanda Mama to 2 expecting #3

Mine also cluster feeds up until about 11.30 the all of a sudden around this time she conks out and goes til about half 3. She then feeds and goes off again until about 7. Then feeds and sleeps again til 9/10.

She is only 3 and a half weeks but I hope she stays this way! x

9. Weezie123

Weezie123 Well-Known Member

Sleep, what's sleep and what routine? :shrug: