What Juice?!

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok after the ribena tread I'm curious as its not something Ive thought of before!

What juices did you give your kids & at what ages :D

hi wobs,

I gave my girls watered down pure fruit juice for as long as I remember. From about 12 weeks old it was 1oz apple juice to 8oz cooled boiled water, then as they got older i added a little more juice and less water I think. I still do that now, but obviously I now give them sugar free squash too. To be honest I'm a little naughty now, Matthew is 7 weeks today and I make up a water bottle of 9oz and add a splash of apple juice because he won't take water on its own but he needs something in between his feeds otherwise I'd be feeding him every hour.

Naimi xx

PS. I started Littleman on Cow & Gate stage 2 on Thursday and he's been a lot more settled since. He seems satisfied and will quite happily got 3.5 hours now. I also changed to the No2 avent teats and he no longer falls asleep half way through a feed.

Jack has only realy been having Juice for the last 6 months or so, otherwise it was water
and even now i just colour the water with juice
i use robinsons no added sugar

reply to wobs about child friendly ribena,

there is a really light ribena that is supposed to be sugar free but it still contains something that is not suitable. and as for fruit shoots i never really thought about them, my partners kids always ask for fruit shoots when we are out for tea. personally i think its quite appalling most of these juices are aimed at kids. so like you said im curious to know what do we give them and from age?:wacko:

I always gave Charlie water, or sometimes Id buy a carton of pure juice and dilute it 1 part to 20 parts water or something.
She now has sugar free juice very diluted or she will ask for water as she really likes it still.

Charlie only has water. I tried him once on very diluted pure orange juice when he was badly constipated, and he refused to drink it!

I wish I'd have been better with Kayleigh when she was younger. Luckily, she has good teeth, but I used to buy her the baby fruit jiuce (I was young and impressionable:blush:), and now when she makes a glass of squash, it's half squash and half water!:sick:

Seren only drank water or milk until she was just under 2. Now she will have some diluted squash if she asks for it as she was starting to help herself out of my glass or she likes milkshake but is only allowed one glass a day. I personally avoid the sugar free if I can as I don't like artificial sweetners but so much juice is sugar free.

I tried a fruit shoot about a year ago, it was the worst thing I have ever drank. It is like syrup, really really sweet, I couldn't drink it and I am a sugar fiend

i tried kacy with water when she was about 2 months old but wouldn't drink it then at 3 months old got her a beacker and made very weak squash for her. she drinks water every so often but wish she would drink more water. Saying that she like flavoured water which she has a bit off when i buy.

Charlie only has water. I tried him once on very diluted pure orange juice when he was badly constipated, and he refused to drink it!

I wish I'd have been better with Kayleigh when she was younger. Luckily, she has good teeth, but I used to buy her the baby fruit jiuce (I was young and impressionable:blush:), and now when she makes a glass of squash, it's half squash and half water!:sick:

What you mean like the heinz, cow & gate bottle/jar baby juice etc.?

If so is there a reason you wouldn't buy it again? :blush:

Seren only drank water or milk until she was just under 2. Now she will have some diluted squash if she asks for it as she was starting to help herself out of my glass or she likes milkshake but is only allowed one glass a day. I personally avoid the sugar free if I can as I don't like artificial sweetners but so much juice is sugar free.

I tried a fruit shoot about a year ago, it was the worst thing I have ever drank. It is like syrup, really really sweet, I couldn't drink it and I am a sugar fiend
I'm clearly gullible is everything stated sugar free got sweetners in? :blush:

Blimey can't believe theres so much to take on board sometimes whist you make a decision on whats best for you/your family! :shock:

What you mean like the heinz, cow & gate bottle/jar baby juice etc.?

If so is there a reason you wouldn't buy it again? :blush:

Yeh, thats the stuff I mean. My hv told us it was even worse than adult squash because of the amount of sugar in it! She said if we wanted to give it to LO's then to diulte it 20 to 1!

Wobbles, yes, all those things claiming to be sugar free contain sweeteners. The most common chemicals used are aspartame, saccharin and phenylalanine. Aspartame and saccharin have been linked to cancer, whilst there is a possibility that excessive amounts of phenylalanine can cause brain damage. Of course, nothing has been proven yet. Also, if something is described as a "fruit juice drink", it is not pure fruit juice but contains added sweeteners. It's a bit of a minefield out there for us!

My mum always bought the products with sugar in rather than the sugar free ones and I will be doing the same when Aaron is older. At least sugar is natural! However, I think I will probably try to stay clear of squashes and fruit juice drinks all together, and just stick to water and diluted fruit juice.

My two have diluted apple juice, probably 1 part to 10 parts water.

I used to buy the dilutable baby juice in glass bottles, I think it's cow and gate and watered that down 1 part to 10.

Never given them squash because of the chemicals and sweeteners in it and we rarely have it in the house.

Ok when you say 1 part to 10 or 20 part dilted - you just having an average guess at the measurements in babies cup?

Sounding thick here aren't I lol :blush:

And whne you say fruit juices/apple juice - you mean pure juices? Most pure orange etc is 'concentrated' ... these ok?

Will remember about the sugar free juices thanks girls!

You would think thet baby juices are better for baby - surely :shock: that would have been instinct so thats well bad if thats true what your HV said Amanda :shock:

Bethanie has water most of the time and enjoys it a lot. She also has some pure apple juice (with only natural sugars - eg Copella) and the kids fruit cartons from the supermarket with added calcium (these are only suitable over 12 months though). I also sometimes buy her the flavoured water from Boots or the Cow and Gate ones, but I water those down a lot.

Ok when you say 1 part to 10 or 20 part dilted - you just having an average guess at the measurements in babies cup?

Sounding thick here aren't I lol :blush:

And whne you say fruit juices/apple juice - you mean pure juices? Most pure orange etc is 'concentrated' ... these ok?

Will remember about the sugar free juices thanks girls!

You would think thet baby juices are better for baby - surely :shock: that would have been instinct so thats well bad if thats true what your HV said Amanda :shock:
pure juices that are from concentrate have additives as well, after reading all the pos about it i think i would prefer pure juice not from concentrate that cant possible be bad for them its 100% fruit.

So what brands do you girls buy?

Wobbles the beakers have measurements on them, on the tommee tippee ones we have it has a line so you know what 1/10 is.
I use from concentrate apple juice and just water it down :) I tried to find out about additives etc but didn't really come up with much info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->