What kind of nappy would be best? (Newbie in Canada)

windbloom

Reaction score
The size 1 disposable diapers we were given before my baby boy was born have almost run out, so now Im ready to start the fun of cloth nappies! :happydance:

I have one pack of ultra diapers from Kushies (I think you just need to put a liner in them and thats it?), we havent used them yet, but they appear as though they'll be very bulky, plus the outter material isnt the softest. Id like to try and steer away from those, and more towards the really soft cutesie ones I see posted on here all the time! :D

I was just wondering if anyone could also suggest a good place for me to get cloth diapers (Im in Canada). I dont much care WHERE I get the nappies from, I have no problem ordering them from the US or UK as long as they ship to Canada.

Im not sure what type would be best for me either; what Im looking for is basically something that I can easily wash at home in the sink/tub, and that will dry relatively quick since I wont be able to buy a HUGE selection right away as money is tight. Im hoping to spend 100$ or less on my first 'shopping spree' than pick up more as time goes on.

The main goal here is to be green, save money, and keep my little mans bummy dry! :mrgreen:

Any tips on the basics to cloth diapering and on which nappy might be best for me would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA

:hugs::hugs:

there is so much to learn about cloth diapering, it can be very overwhelming.... what about prefolds? Natural Health Depot Canada (can't post the website til I get more posts) has organic prefolds for between $22 I think to about $30 a dozen, shipping is about $10 depending where you are. The are great, and are 4x8x4 ply, which is what you want. So I'd say a couple of dozen, with about 6 covers (thirsties or bummis) and a couple of snappies would be a good start. Prefolds are cotton and are easy to wash and dry. Since they are cotton it's less likely to get stink issues... Trifold them in a cover, or snappi them on to avoid poop leaks. good luck!

Here's the website that Belle.H was trying to send you:
https://www.nhdcanada.com/

They often have auctions on eBay for a few dozen prefolds too. I have the Kushies Ultra too and they were a horrible purchase- way too big for Emma right now and I prefer pocket diapers (bumgenious and fuzzibunz are good) since they dry faster (am able to get away with fewer diapers with frequent washings). We've never used the Kushies because of the drying time and with the flannel lining, they keep the wetness close to baby's skin.

Have you tried googling cloth diapering for the city you live in? Sometimes there are stores that will let you rent trial packs to see what works best before buying. I'm in Ottawa and https://www.ottawaclothdiapers.com/diapertrialprogram/ has a diaper trial program but I'm sure there are others out there too.

Good luck!

Okay, so are prefolds where you buy a cover and you fold up the piece of material and just put it in, and thats it?? :blush::blush:

And with pocket nappies, you stuff liners in the pocket? How does that help when they poop? :rofl::dohh::blush:

You can also order cheaper diapers (they are seconds, but still useable) off of dapadiapers.com - they usually have an 8 dollar difference!

I am into pocket diapers now for their ease and compactness - basically it is a diaper shellwith a stitched in liner to keep baby dry, and a microfibre insert shoved in it to do the absorbing. I like Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius brands, though if you aren't sure if you'll like cloth diapering or not, you can get really cheap pocket diapers on ebay.ca to try them out, then get better quality ones as time goes by (though I don't have much problems with my internet cheapies)

Good luck, and welcome to the fuzzy bums club!
:)
A

some places in ontario

theclothdiapershop.com (niagara region)
go-greenbaby.com (kingston)
ottawaclothdiapers.com (ottawa)
parentingbynature.com
forbabywithlove.ca

As for pocket diapers.....in inserts are to absorb moisture. The poop goes into the diaper. you can dump the solids in the toilet and the rest can just be washed off. OR you can by disposable inserts to go in the diaper where you take the whole insert (poop and all) and flush it.

There are also all in ones where there are no inserts you have to deal with, just put the diaper on and off like a disposable. There are allso All in twos where you can either stuff it like a pocket diaper, or put the insert on top and use the diaper like a cover.

I do think that most diapers you will have to wash in a washing machine, as hand washing may not be strong enough.

Diapers seem to be more expensive in canada than the US, but then there is shipping.
FOr most pocket diapers you are looking at 20-25 per diaper including at least one insert.

Cheapest option is prefolds and covers. Covers are about $13 and prefolds can start at about $1.50 each

Where in Ontario are you?

We use the Bumgenius 3.0's and love them. I found the pre-folds very intimidating and I like the ease of the BGs as it is just like using a disposable diaper. I've tried Fuzzi Bunz as well but I don't like them as much as I do the BGs.

If you buy in bulk (12 or more) at most places you can get a discount. Its what I did. ;)

Also, depending on where you live you can buy them in a Baby Boutique store, rather than ordering them online and having to pay for shipping. ;)

Im in Windsor.... Canada's craphole.... :rofl::rofl:

Ive been looking over ALL SORTS of sites for ordering, and I still feel just as helpless... :dohh:

Prefolds seem like they would be fine for now, but once my little boy starts moving more, they would leak?

Ive been looking at Fuzzi Bunz (2nds) but have doubts...

Id love to get a sort of BG, but do they wash easy and dry quick?
I dont mind forking out a little extra money (I'll just have to get fewer diapers at a time) if they'll be good quality.

I live in an apartment, so I'd like to hand wash and dry them as much as possible... we have access to a free washer and dryer about 2x a week, otherwise were stuck paying about 6$ a load (hence why I want to hand wash).

Ive been looking at princessellies diapers too, and I think they are SOOOO super cute, but being in the UK, im not sure if she'll ship to Canada.

I realize the 'perfect nappy' for everyone is probably different, based on the size of your baby and such, but still! Hayden isnt over 12lbs, is a slim baby, and hes pretty long... he seems pretty average, so I would think most diapers should fit him decently unless I buy one size up.

Between liners, covers, prefolds, and pockets... Im up to my ears in confusion... :dohh::rofl:

Would you believe I actually DREAMED of cloth diapers last night?! :wacko::wacko:

The BGs hang dry very well! In fact, its better for them to hang dry than to tumble dry all the time. I've had no experience hand washing them, but if you buy a diaper pail with enough diapers you could probably get away with washing them twice a week.

I have 24 BG's and 4 Fuzzi Bunz. I don't use the Fuzzi Bunz that often, (I'd sell them to you but I only have one that's not a daisy print, and it's a periwinkle blue... not exactly masculine, iykwim. ;) ) but with the 24 diapers we can get away with 3-4 days without needing to wash them. I'd highly recommend the diaper liners too, it catches the poo which is a real help!

Here's a store that sells the BumGenius diapers:

Madison's (Retail Store)
5850 Wyundotte Street E
Windsor, ON N8S1M7
Phone: 519-974-4457

PS - Not sure if you knew, but there is a Canadian Moms thread here in the Groups section (underneath the Santa's Grotto forum). Come say hi! We're a nice group. Always love to have more! :wohoo:

I think it'd be ok to handwash nappies that just have wee in them, but not sure about the ones with poo! If you're going to try that, maybe go for ones that don't have a long/loopy pile on the material. I wouldn't like to be scrubbing poo out of anything that was too fluffy! Fleece is really easy to wash poo off though, in fact most of it just falls off or will easily rinse off. I think it's probably the synthetic fabrics (like fleece or microfibre) that will be better for handwashing, and they seem a lot quicker to dry too.

I love love love my Mother-ease Sandy's diapers. They are fitted, so kind of inbetween the prefolds and the pockets/All-in-ones. I have never had a poop leak with them and only had a couple pee leaks and those were user error (didn't get the cover on right). We ordered our first set right from the Mother-ease site but if you aren't going to buy one of their packages, then finding a shop closer to home can be cheaper than adding shipping.

We use the unbleached during the day and bamboo during nights (with a soaker)

Sandy's

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->