what nobody told me about breastfeeding

kaili

Reaction score
https://ragingmommy. com

Good blog post about things nobody warned me about prior to breastfeeding. To me, breastfeeding was glorified and nobody told me how much it would hurt or how difficult it would be. This blog sums it up

Haven't read this yet but I completely agree with your comment. I was prepared for labour to be hard but I thought breastfeeding would come completely naturally. It was pure stubbornness that got me through the first couple of weeks when my boy wouldn't latch and didn't gain weight not to mention the toe-curling pain. I've tried to be honest with pregnant friends so they are more prepared then I was.

I could have written that blog post lol! Xxx

Very true. No one tells you how hard it is despite it being the way our bodies were designed to feed a baby. I got mastitis, bleeding nipples. It was agony!

Mm.

I do agree with the blogger that information on BFing is heavily biased to paint this rosy wonderful picture of BFing and that there should be more realistic information freely available to people about the complications. As PP said, I assumed it would be easy because it was natural, I mean women have been doing it for years, how hard could it be?? HA!!:dohh:

For me BFing was a great but terrible experience. I had a terrible time of it health wise and spent way more on remedies to the BF problems than I would have if I had just bought formula (including a week long hospital stay for mastitis), but I do look back on BFing DS as a positive experience.

I don't know that I would have been dissuaded from BFing by 'realistic information', because of my 'how hard can it be?' assumption anyway.

I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first and this is all great information. I definitely appreciate honesty from mums... Sugar coating isn't going to help anyone out. I think the more mentally prepared women are, the more they will be able to encourage themselves to persevere through issues, rather than giving up and feeling a failure at the first hurdle.

Definitely. It's not inevitable either though - some women and babies take to it really well and don't have any problems. Just remember that if you do, you're not alone. Under supply, over supply, sore nipples, cluster feeding, sleepy babies, tongue tie, bad latch - it's all normal! I've had a selection from the above myself. Next time I'll give myself much less of a hard time and hopefully manage to EBF, but if I end up using formula again as well it won't be the end of the world :)

I have been VERY lucky. No pain at all, ever. However, it is not this glorious, soft lit, romantic picture that it gets painted to be. Its emotionally and physically draining and hard work. Not to mention no where near glamourous.

meh. labor is natural. women have always endured it. its not easy either. natural doesn't equal easy.
I made that mistake with my first. But I was lucky and didn't suffer too much nipple pain. I did have my share of breast pain though.
this time, it does hurt when DS latches. he likes to only latch onto my nipple -.- I have too much milk and get very sore from it, too.

But. Little about a newborn is easy. Its part of the job and whats the point of scaring off ftm's by highlighting the difficulties? That said, a little education on how to bf is invaluable and may help avoid some of the problems.

I cant believe i was sent home with BF info from the hospital saying "newborns will feed frequently.. SOMETIMES up to 12 times per day". Erm, sorry, 12? That would mean 2 hours between feeds? Hahahahha.... i wish!

And no one also warns you you cant wear all your clothes from before u were pregnant. U might go from a fashionable, well dressed individual to thinking oooh ill wear that frumpy stretchy grey/shapeless v neck maternity dress/ top cos i can pull my boob out of it easily.

Agreed about the clothes issue - I always used to wear dresses religiously - I now live in leggings, a cami best top and a baggy jumper to do the one top up one top down trick lol! Xxx

. I did have my share of breast pain though.
this time, it does hurt when DS latches. he likes to only latch onto my nipple -.- I have too much milk and get very sore from it, too.

I had that for about a day here, as DS2 was early and his small mouth couldn't latch onto heavy, full breasts. I've found that pumping the breast until it's a bit softer helped a ton - better latch (more proper, less nipple-only) and less fuss. It also meant that we'd have milk for bottles and future feedings.

Breastfeeding is a lot of work, pain, and sacrifice on a Mama's part. But, personally, I've found the rewards well worth it.

I wish the blog would load for me! It doesn't seem to be there anymore. I also thought breastfeeding would be a breeze and was more focused on the labor, but the pain and difficulty has reduced me to tears twice now already and I'm still within the first week of my baby's life. Is there a new link to this blog? I'd love to read it!

I wish the blog would load for me! It doesn't seem to be there anymore. I also thought breastfeeding would be a breeze and was more focused on the labor, but the pain and difficulty has reduced me to tears twice now already and I'm still within the first week of my baby's life. Is there a new link to this blog? I'd love to read it!

I had to google 'ragingmommy' then scroll down to the breastfeeding post x

I had to google 'ragingmommy' then scroll down to the breastfeeding post x

Oh, wow, thank you! I am so glad this was shared... I could not agree more but didn't know that anyone else was going through what I've been going through. I have friends who breastfeed and fill up my Facebook newsfeed with posts basically glorifying breastfeeding and talking about how great it is and that was my expectation going into this, except I'm having more of the type of experience described in this blog. I'm glad she says it does get better and to persevere... I'm at week one... maybe in a few weeks, this will improve. I have cried so many times while breastfeeding him and sometimes just give up and pump and feed him from a bottle.

To be honest, I think getting them used to bottles early is no bad thing (provided it doesn't impact the breastfeeding) because it means you'll have more flexibility later on.

Breastfeeding is by far the hardest thing I've done! And I've just been advised I need to pump after every feed for 20 minutes if I want my supply to go up for work... I have an 8 wk old who wants to be held a lot. I wish someone would have told me all the bad. I heard give it 3 weeks and you'll be a pro. Yeah right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->