what on earth is going on?!

Loubpop

Reaction score
Our 5 week old is really unhappy and its breaking my heart :( she gulps her feeds, has really bad wind, seems to be trying to poo quite a few times a day, red faced straining but her poo is not solid, its runny and quite explosive, she has episodes of horrible crying, doesn't settle at night very well, pulling ip knees, wriggling about. She is on gripe water and brings up lots of wind and trumps a lot. I have tried 4 different types of bottles and she's on the mam ones now. She has projectile vomited once a week since birth. She's gaining weight well. she's on aptamil first formula at the moment. Any ideas/help appriciated. Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like colic. Have you tried infacol - or coleif (not sure if thats how u spell it) & also the Dr.Brown bottles. We use infacol & Dr.Brown & it worked, Kayden has slept 5hrs between bottles at night last few nights

Freya was like this on Aptamil - I eventually switched her onto HiPP and she's 100 times better. I think Aptamil didn't agree with her x

Been to GP this morning who has said "there is nothing wrong with her". And she bloody laid there while he examined her without making so much as a whimper!! :rolleyes: I know what is happening is not normal baby behaviour.....

Thanks for the replies, dont know what to do next really. Going to go to the baby clinic this afternoon and speak to the HV again. :cry:

How do you change babies milk? Do you have to do it gradually or can you just switch?

My Lo was like this, turns out he has a milk allergy, hes now on special prescription formula. Like pp posters said it could be the aptimil or it could be an allergy. The explosive poo is a sign of allergy, is it mucousy at all? Looks like has stringy bits in it? It's a nightmare trying to get docs to diagnose milk allergy we also were told nothing was wrong with him, we saw another doctor the next day who diagnosed him and referred him to a pediatrician. If you think your lo has more than wind problems ask to be referred if the doc won't listen or go to a and e. A few people on here have done that and got a much quicker diagnoses x

Edit- if u have time to read through my previous posts they might be of help to you, lots of good advice from the ladies on here x

My lo was like this on cow and gate i changed her to hipp and happy unwindy baby overnight!

Freya was like this on Aptamil - I eventually switched her onto HiPP and she's 100 times better. I think Aptamil didn't agree with her x

Wss

Aptamil really wasn't good for my little one, had all the symptoms you described. We changed her milk and she improved massively.

Thanks again everyone. HV was useless. She said it all sounded normal and like typical colic and I had to put up with it until shes 3 months. She said it was up to me if I wanted to change the milk and she said I should try aptimil comfort. I will try it but if I dont see an improvement I will be changing to a different brand.

I was reading the box of the aptimil comfort and it says "speak to your healthcare provider before using this diet" - What a joke!! They have all been rubbish so far. You guys on here are much more help! I will visit a and e if this continues because I can tell the difference between a "i need a hug/food/nappy change..etc etc" cry and a "i have a painful tummy" cry.

I will just have to see how we get on...heres to another sleepless night for me and an uncomfy night for Ella :cry:

My Lo was like this, turns out he has a milk allergy, hes now on special prescription formula. Like pp posters said it could be the aptimil or it could be an allergy. The explosive poo is a sign of allergy, is it mucousy at all? Looks like has stringy bits in it? It's a nightmare trying to get docs to diagnose milk allergy we also were told nothing was wrong with him, we saw another doctor the next day who diagnosed him and referred him to a pediatrician. If you think your lo has more than wind problems ask to be referred if the doc won't listen or go to a and e. A few people on here have done that and got a much quicker diagnoses x

Edit- if u have time to read through my previous posts they might be of help to you, lots of good advice from the ladies on here x

Thanks :hugs: I havent noticed if theres mucous in it or not, so I guess there isnt but I will keep an eye on it. Also will check out your previous posts too for more advice :flower:

Thanks :hugs: I havent noticed if theres mucous in it or not, so I guess there isnt but I will keep an eye on it. Also will check out your previous posts too for more advice :flower:

No worries, hope you and your lol are happy soon :hugs: let us know how you get on x

that sounds like my little one too and she's on aptimal too, I've bought the comfort one to try but was waiting to speak to my hv tomorrow. I hate seeing her in pain and not being able to do anything :(

When I changed, I just bought some of the small cartons first to make sure she'd drink it, then got a big packet the next day and switched straight away. I found everyone was rubbish as well - I'd get "Just see how she is next week...." - that went on from 8 weeks until I bit the bullet myself and changed at 14 weeks. She went from 2.5ozs a feed (and that was with a battle) and double doses of infacol, with explosive, uncomfortable poos, to 5-6ozs every feed, weaning off infacol and normal poos within a week! Now I use dentinox (infacol stopped working) for her first and last bottles only just to make sure she hasn't got wind at night x

Day 1 of the Comfort diet and for the first time after being laid on her changing mat for a while (having a naked "kick about") she regurgitated up some clear fluid. This was 2 hours after feed. Seriously wondering about reflux now.

I can't believe how all the symptoms sounds exactly like my lo!! It could be the same baby! She was diagnosed with reflux and has been on gaviscon since she was about 2 weeks old. We would give her this with every feed (aptimal) and it was helping her reflux (not throwing up as much). She still had the windy, painful, straining, arching her back thing so we also give her infacol which helps bring her wind up.

Then the other day I mentioned to my hv that she sounds like she's struggling to go for a poo and fart although her poos when they come out are runny. She til me to switch to aptimal comfort so we went out and bought some. She's been on this for a week now and her poo has turned green and is more solid and she still struggles! The packet says it could take up to 2 weeks to work but I'm really doubting it at the moment and thinking I might switch again!

As the comfort milk is thicker I think it's helped the reflux and today I've stopped giving the gaviscon as I know this can cause problems pooing and like yours my lo is led on her changing mat and an hour after her feed and she's pouring this almost clear fluid out of her mouth!

I would say you could try the comfort milk to see if it works as its meant for colic and constipation but if it doesn't then you could look at another brand. I would also go to the gp and ask for some infant gaviscon and see if that helps!

Let me now what you choose to do as if you change formula and it works I might copy you! :)

Well she was very unsettled up until half 9 last night. Then she fell asleep and DH had to wake her for a feed at 10 which she only took 1.5oz and fell asleep again until 6am when I had to wake her!! She has however been very cryey today....and she hasnt had a poo since yesterday morning....hope it isnt going to constipate her. She is straining but thats nothing new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->