What Prenatal should I take?

monkeygirl09

Reaction score
I am about 5 weeks pregnant and have no clue what prenatal I should take.

I see an OB-GYN for the first time on Monday Nov. 10th.

My friend who is pregnant said to get something with DHA in it.

I ended up getting something called "Prenatal DHA" by Spectrum Essentials from Whole Foods. It says that it is supposed to support a baby's brain and vision development.

However, there were some other prenatal vitamins there that seems to offer a lot more vitamin essentials but they did not say they had DHA.

Help! What should I take? Any brand or anything in particular?

Others might have a better answer, but I think the most important things are folic acid and iron. With my son and this pregnancy, I'm taking Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA from Target. The other important thing is that the Vitamin A is 100% Beta Carotene.

A trick I found is taking it at night after I brush my teeth/use mouthwash to mask the potential fish oil taste (caused by the DHA).

I got the seven seas ones with folic acid iron and ginger . I will finished the packet and might change because they are so big and chunky and awfully hard to swallow especially when your are nauseous ha

I am using the Target store brand, Up and Up. Make sure Folic Acid there is at least 800 (of whatever it is used to measure can't think atm). That's the main one. I used it for my last pregnancy and I am using it again this pregnancy. My doctor is fine with it.

regular prenatals make me feel worse than my morning sickness does so i take two flinstone vitamins a day. id make sure the prenatal you take gives you at least 28mg of iron and 800 mcg of folic acid. those are the two i feel are the most important for baby's development and your energy but all vitamins and minerals found in prenatals are essential for baby's health and your own.

the gummies arent ideal because they usually leave out the iron unless you'd like to take the iron in a separate form on its own thats safe.

I take the Spring Valley prenatals from Wal Mart. They don't contain DHA, but that is fine since I take fish oil anyways. :)

I discussed this topic with my doctor and a few pharmacists and they all said that they are mostly the same. They will vary very little.

I am taking Centrum Prenatal + DHA.

I'm taking garden of life's kind organics. All the vitamins are whole food derived and it's one of the only types that give you folate rather than the man made "folic acid". Folate is much easier to digest. you have to take 3 large tablets per dose though. I also take a DHA-EPA supplement. I would recommend both brands.

I take Thorne's Basic Prenatal - it's got Folate instead of Folic acid and so it's easier for your body to process. I mostly take it though for my MTHFR - cuz my body doesn't process folic acid :)

I discussed this topic with my doctor and a few pharmacists and they all said that they are mostly the same. They will vary very little.

So you take 2 different vitamins? Then I guess I could keep taking my plain DHA one and add another one with folic acid and whatnot...

Hey just wanted to let you know that the dha you're taking is NOT a prenatal. Its an extra supplement that I believe every pregnant or nursing woman SHOULD take though. Sorry, I work in a vitamin store and am a bit of a snob when it comes to them. If you're looking for a good one, here are my top brands, in order: New Chapter, Garden if Life, Natures Plus, MegaFood, Solaray (these taste horrible though). As far as DHA goes I really like the Nordic Naturals one, but have been taking it from Renew Life and Garden of Life/Minami Nutrition.

Someone mentioned Thorn. That is also a good brand. Just PLEASE stay away from anything that has chemicals or dyes as they are altered from their natural state. Also, folate is easier to digest than folic acid, but as long as you're getting at least 800mg per day of either you should have no need to worry.

Nikoru I have a stockpile of those! Lol once reps find out you're pregnant prenatals and dha come flying at you from all directions. I really like them! Just like the New Chapter a bit more!

Mod19 I had a look at new chapter and liked that they have some probiotics in there as well but I like the fact that the fillers in the kind organics seem a little more natural. I'm not vegan but the tablets are so that might be a plus for some people as well. I prefer to get vegan DHA as well because I don't trust the heavy metal levels in the ones that are from fish.

Since you work in a vitamin store, would you be able to recommend a probiotic? I can't get the good stuff (the ones that are liquid and usually arrive refridgerated) I live in Japan and have to order from Iherb but they can't deliver cooled products.

A good shelf stable one is Renew Life Ultimate Flora. The have some specifically designed for women, although I would recommend refrigerating after opening. But my favorite favorite one is Dr. Ohhiras. They're actually made in Japan and are AMAZING! they come in a green or whit/blue box. The white/blue ones are more expensive, so if you don't really have issues the green box will be just fine for you.

And yeah, unfortunately new chapter got bought out a fee years ago and have reformulated most of their recipes. Bummer hey?

So you take 2 different vitamins? Then I guess I could keep taking my plain DHA one and add another one with folic acid and whatnot...

It comes in one pack (two bottles). So I take two tablets daily. The prenatal, then the DHA. Hth!

I took the gummy prenatals in my first tri - the regular ones were too harsh on my stomach with MS. Once that went away, I tried a few and settled on Expecta. 2 pills daily but it all comes in one box. I've kept taking them through nursing now too. Really they are all about the same- just have to find one that you like

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->