what should I do?

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
Colton isn't going to sleep unless he is on his belly. I've always been told they aren't supposed to sleep on their bellies.

I think he is having gas. I tried giving him some gas relief drops and he slept on his back for about 45 minutes, but then he woke crying again. He is really fussy when he is awake and the only way I can calm him is by laying him across my lap and patting his back, during which he falls asleep. Then he stays asleep as long as he is on his belly.

Is it okay to leave him on his belly? I've always heard it's a higher risk for SIDS. It's even something my doctor asks... "does he sleep on his back?" I've always said yes, because he normally does.

What do you think I should do?

Also, will it hurt his little belly button stub-thing? It hasn't fallen off yet, and I dont want it to rip off and hurt him.

Try keeping his legs up - helps gas! So if hes lying down a blanket folded underneath his legs, high enough but not to discomforting?!

Massage
Warm bath
Light pressure on tummy
Over your shoulder tapping back rather than knee

I would be out of my mind if anyone suggesting lying Moo on her front if I'm honest but thats me! If you are comfortable with it your his Mum hun :D Maybe get a sensor mat?

His belly button clip should come off any day - I think they said it doesn't hurt not sure about it digging into him though x

Oh warm boiled water again is suppose to help with gas. We tried infacol etc etc and found only grips started to work but could not use until 1 month old!

It makes me nervous laying him on his belly. I dont think I will be able to sleep with him like that.
I will definitally try the blanket under the legs thing.

I have been putting him on my shoulder and patting him most of the day. It doesn't seem to be helping as he is still fussing the whole time. Which is odd because normally when he is up on my chest he is calmer and falls asleep.
I've also been trying to give him water for his constipation. I've tried warm water and cooler water, he just doesn't like water. He spits it up and doesn't drink but maybe 1/2 oz of every 2oz I try and give him.

maybe it is only his favourite position and he needs to have the warmth of your body to be able to fall asleep?

Juleika was like this in the beginning! she always wanted to be held :baby:

or are there any other indications he might have gas?

I think he did have gas. His pediatrician told me that with him being so congested he probably wasn't eating because he was swallowing too much air while he was trying to breath. I think this gave him lots of gas because he wasn't burping as good as he had. He is still doing it, and so I have tried some gas drops, which have helped (they make him smile lots before he starts farting :lol:).
He is getting better though. He is just staying awake longer now. He stayed up for 5-6 hours straight yesterday, and did the same today. I dont know if it's because it's hard for him to get through the congestion and therefore hard for him to sleep or what.
For some reason he is sleeping better when layed up on a pillow. I put him on the pillow up to the middle of his back and he falls asleep pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->