What tests?

M

Macwooly

Ok I have an appointment on Tuesday with my GP as DH and I want to start tests to check our fertility.

For me I understand I can ask for blood tests to check on FSH; LH and progesterone; ultrasound to check uterus thickness and tests to check for rubella; toxoplasmosis and chlamydia (though I was tested before meeting DH as my exs both cheated on me). Is it also an ultrasound they organise to check for blocked tubes or something else?

For DH we are asking for an SA (he had one in 2009) and I'm going to see if they can blood test him to see if his blood group is positive or negative (I'm negative so need I understand it is important to know).

I just wondered if I had missed anything?

Thank you in advance

If your doctor will do it, I would probably ask for a progesterone test too.

I'd ask for an AMH blood test too, egg reserve, gives you a fair idea for where ya are!!

Thank you :thumbup:

Redclaire - thanks. Is AMH a blood test or another type?

Just a blood test, can be taken on anyday of your cycle, and gives a good idea of egg reserve and how much time you have left to conceive. It tells them if you should move to assisted TTC/ivf etc sooner or later!!!

Thank you. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge :thumbup:

No worries pet!
I love this site...although i'm a nurse i had no idea of loads of ttc stuff....like most ladies i've spent most my life trying NOT to get sprogalated!! According to my mom even holding hands with a boy could lead to a 'creeping pregnancy'!!! :wacko:
Her tales of doom about falling pregnant when within breathing distance of a lad obviously worked on our reproductive organs... my sister had her twins by IVF, i'm doing iui, and my kid sister is 31 with her fella 7 years..no kids and my brother is 29 married 5 years...no kids!!:haha:

I'd ask for an AMH blood test too, egg reserve, gives you a fair idea for where ya are!!

hey does that test just tell them how many eggs or can they tell the QUALITY? I have a great FSH level of 5 and clomid stimulated me to 4 follicles so I think I have a good amount of eggs, but I would love to know the quality of the eggs and wonder if anything will measure that or would we have to wait till IVF.

Macwooly its a sono or an hsg that will look for polyps and if your tubes are clear. usually they will just do an ultrasound first and if anything is suspected move onto the sono or hsg. you could always ask for one anyway, as the flushing of the tubes can often help people get pregnant in itself.

Ok I have an appointment on Tuesday with my GP as DH and I want to start tests to check our fertility.

For me I understand I can ask for blood tests to check on FSH; LH and progesterone; ultrasound to check uterus thickness and tests to check for rubella; toxoplasmosis and chlamydia (though I was tested before meeting DH as my exs both cheated on me). Is it also an ultrasound they organise to check for blocked tubes or something else?

For DH we are asking for an SA (he had one in 2009) and I'm going to see if they can blood test him to see if his blood group is positive or negative (I'm negative so need I understand it is important to know).

Thank you in advance

Good luck Alex! :hugs:

Will your GP do all that? Here, I was under the impression I would have to go to a RE...

Thank you in advance

Its a HSG they use to check for blocked tubes, but they would probably do that after the blood tests and u/s as it is more invasive.

I'm sure your doctor will have recommendations of where to start test-wise. For me, all my GP would do was order a SA for my DH. For all the rest she referred me to an ob/gyn and I'm still impatiently waiting for my appt (its in August)

I know from TTC in 2009 that my GP will fill out lab forms and off I go to the local hospital who draw the blood and then send the results back to my doctor. It is the same for DH's SA.

Not sure if the GP can organise the ultrasounds or hsg or if we need referring for those

Add Estradiol to the list of bloodtests. It will give you a more accurate idea of the FSH# to also know the Estradiol.
You may be better off going to a RE or FS. I don't know about your GP but mine doesn't have the US equipment or blood lab in their office like my RE does. I would be running all over town getting tests done if I went through my GP.

The ultrasound is going to check your lining and follicles. (always be prepared for a transvag ultrasound-they sprung one on me on my first visit when I thought I was just getting a consultation :dohh:)

These are mostly all tests that will be repeated several times during every cycle to see how things are progressing.(not the HSG and some of the labs).

Thanks Cui :thumbup:

I know my GP will just refer me to my local hospital initially for any tests required thankfully :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->