What they DON'T tell you about 3D &4D US

MImom2be

Recent Mommy~6-13-13!
Reaction score
Well, husband and I had our 3D and 4D ultrasound appointment yesterday...

WHAT a disappointment. The ambiance of the room was lovely, a large, comfortable bed, a fireplace, nice couches for our family to view the large flat screen with. BUT, the quality of the ultrasounds (mostly my fault, I do believe that) was poor at best.

It cost us $200.00 for 35 minutes.

BUT, what they DIDN'T tell us prior to making the appointment and paying (of course!) is that

1) An Anterior Placenta will make it HELL trying to capture images.
2) REGARDLESS of what your diet is, when you are far enough along, your amniotic fluid changes color and becomes cloudy (lesser quality images)

While it may not seem like MUCH for reasons, we obtained 2 IMAGES!!! $200 for 2 IMAGES! While the images we obtained were precious (what you could actually see of them) not hardly worth $100 a piece, in our opinion.

Mind you, I am NOT bashing the ultrasound clinic, these are just things I wish I had been told BEFORE I paid what we did...

Just keep the above in mind. That being said, we do LOVE the two pictures we obtained, just bawked at the $200 price tag for 2 pictures.

Attachments

• US 31wks2days 1 forum.jpg
    US 31wks2days 1 forum.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 89
  • US 31wks2days 2 forum.jpg
    US 31wks2days 2 forum.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 74
My anterior placenta had never been an issue for mine just babies facing the back or getting in the way of each other. My belly button was an issue last time because the baby facing up was directly under it.

My anterior placenta had never been an issue for mine just babies facing the back or getting in the way of each other. My belly button was an issue last time because the baby facing up was directly under it.

They blamed the fact that we only obtained two images on my anterior placenta...Do you think it's worth calling them up this morning and seeing if we could ask/demand a resitting?

We paid $110 for a CD of images, but only one I really liked. It was only 15 minutes. She spent a few minutes showing me her lady-bits.. even though I'd known the gender since 12 weeks. I did find out she has hair - but that's because of the 2d sono part.

They told me to start drinking a lot of water 3 days before the appointment, to clear up the amniotic fluid - not sure if they mentioned that to you. I didn't.. just that day really, but mine was pretty clear. I was 29-30 weeks at the time.

My husband and I walked out thinking.. I thought it would be more than that. LOL

I am in the UK, our 3d was pretty good. It is advised though not to go any later than 30-31 weeks, as your amniotic fluid is less & there isn't as much room for baby to move.

If the placenta wasn't actually touching baby, they should have been able to edit it out (mine was able to).

2 pics seems a bit rough though, we paid £130 (about $200) & got about 8 pics & a dvd & the option to come back for free if we weren't happy with the pictures! We got some decent pics with ours, but baby didn't want to move & we didn't have the time to come back another week, specially when there was the chance that the pics might be worse!

My doctor's office does the elective 3d/4d sonos for about $200. We didn't get one before and won't do it again exactly for this reason. But they were good about telling you that there's no guarantee that you will even get decent images. Also everytime we go in for our normal sonos, the tech always turns the 4d on at the end and gets a couple photos just to be nice. Even if they didn't do this, we still can't justify spending that much $$.

My friends placenta is anterior and when she went for her 4d it wasn't worth the money she paid, she got 1 decent picture.. The baby's face was pressed against her placenta so there was no fluid inbrtween for the us waves to bounce off.. They didnt tell her the placenta could affect scan but they also blamed that

I had one with my first and was very happy. They told me best time to have it was 28 weeks so that is when we did it. I paid £120 and got 20 minute dvd and a series of picture. She also checked the sex and a general growth/welbeing scan.
My placenta was at the front but didn't effect the pictures.
Yes if I were you I would call up and voice your disappointment.

That's very pricey!

We paid $200 in Canada... got a CD of about 50 images and a teddy bear that has her heart beat in it (recorded). Also, the first session we went to was 45 mins and she was not happy with the babies position and offered us a free 30 min session the next week or so.

Sounds like they are not running a very good "business" for something that should be very enjoyable and special.

I'd call and request a re-scan. That's a lot of money for 2 pictures! I had an anterior placenta with DD and when I went for my growth scan at 30 weeks and the visibility was good. It was a 2D scan with a brief look in 3D/4D but both were clear.

We haven't had a 3d but I agree with other posters that you should ask for a free redo session. I was brought in for repeats twice on early private scans, one for gender where they could only say 90% girl and another early one where the DVD didn't record our pics. I'd say there's a good chance they would redo as it seems quite common and that was not a cheap scan.

Did they have you sign anything? My office makes you sign a waiver stating that you understand you may not get photos, before they actually do it. Basically you are signing that you're not entitled to refund or a free one if you don't get photos.

I would def ask for a re-scan. What are their t&c's?

Went to a baby show and got a 3d scan done ... Well a mini version as I was never going to pay big $$$ and get the whole one ... But this just popped up... I was 30 weeks and the lady was wonderful and spent way more then the "10 minute" alotted time... We got 6 pictures .. Only supposed to get two...and when bubs wouldn't cooperate she even let me come back after half an hour to retry...

All up cost me $30

I was so happy

So sorry u didn't have a good experience... I'd go back and demand a rescan... 2 pics is a joke

We had our 4d scan when I was 31+1 (so a day before you I think). I have an anterior placenta and we managed to get a dvd and quite a few pictures. My anterior placenta and being at that gestation did not cause us problems so think you should definitely give them a call... what harm can it do?! Good Luck sweetie!xxx

This makes me feel less guilty about not getting a 4d scan done. My insurance only covers 2 ultrasounds and my doc's office does 3d/4d scans for $150. Honestly that's $150 I'd rather be spending on stuff for baby.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. We've done 3D scans with each pregnancy. This time around we got the best pics. I have an anterior placenta (first time). I went at 24 weeks which is when they recommended.

I have an anterior placenta and we absolutely love our 3d/4d ultrasound! We have video of her yawning, putting her fingers in mouth, stretching etc all clear as day. .. BUT the company we used was clear that we weren't to go beyond 28 weeks because of anterior placenta or we would not be able to get clear images. .. so we went 27 or so weeks. Maybe that's why. Sorry you had a bad experience, I know it's so disappointing :(

They blamed the fact that we only obtained two images on my anterior placenta...Do you think it's worth calling them up this morning and seeing if we could ask/demand a resitting?

If I paid $200 I would. They've given me 2 images and it only took maybe 5-10 minutes as they do it at the end of our regular U/S when they do it. With one baby they shouldn't have such a big issue getting good images. Mine are normally just in the way of each other.

I was clearly told when booking my 4D scan that an anterior placenta could cause a problem. Im lucky, as I don't have that.

Fluid shouldnt make a difference if they have good equipment.

Where I go is charging me £80 for my 4D but then I have been for 3 private scans this preg so I have recieved considerable discount. For that I get 5 pictures and full DVD recording.

I personally dont think you have grounds to complain, 4D scans should be done 26-28weeks, coupled with the placenta I don't think you have a case....sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->